Best convertibles for tiny babies

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm sorry...I know this has been asked before but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

What are the best convertible seats for itty-bitty babies? We are pregnant with twins and I'm already starting to think about what our car seat/vehicle needs will be. I'm pretty sure I want to skip the infant seat this time (someone jump in and tell me if this is a terrible idea) and just get convertibles from the start, but I want to make sure that we get ones that will accommodate 4-5 pound babies since our singleton was only 6lbs4oz.

Thanks!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I may have answered my own question with this link. I have been dying for a reason to get a Coccoro, and it looks like I might have two little reasons

For those of you that have Coccoros, what would you think about putting 5 pounder in it?

Here's the link for those that are interested: http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/L...A%3D&tabid=145

Melissa & DH

February 20th, 2012, 06:37 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Another twin mommy used MyRides from the beginning, I'm pretty sure.

February 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Cocorro's fit newborns very well! A lot of people really love that seat.

February 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have heard great things about the MyRide, but we're planning to do 3-across in our SUV, so I'm worried about the width of the MyRides. Claire is in a Radian XTSL, so we'll have that plus whatever we get for the twins.

Melissa & DH

February 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
looking at the data here, if i looked at the right place, it says it's 20in
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&hl=en#gid=0

February 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First excuse me here... OMG OMG YOU'RE HAVING TWINS?!?!?! Flipping out for you!!!

If you're going to get 3-across then the Coccoro is a GREAT choice. I really love my coccoro, I must say. it's clearly not going to last as long as other seats, but it's super comfortable and I always comment to DH about how nicely the harness adjusts and the clips go in. It's really well designed. I just got ours like last month so we never used the infant insert, so I can't comment on that though.

I think the Radian is actually pretty good for newborns as well - and that one is one of the tallest on the market.

The MyRide is a great seat but definitely NOT a good choice for three across.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd go with True Fits. They fit little ones really well, and I love that the headrest comes off to make the seat more compact until they are bigger, then you add the headrest. If you get something like the Coccoro, you'll eventually need another convertible because it's just not that big of a seat. Don't get me wrong, it's GREAT for little ones, and if you're ok with purchasing a second seat then by all means go for it. I think the new Coccoros are rated at 3 pounds?

Oh, the TF is not going to be a 3-across seat-.... not unless you have two and a Radian or something. It's a wide seat. Does your SUV have a 3rd row?
February 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It would be 2 TFs and a Radian, but that arrangement won't fit 3 across.

We do have a 3rd row, but clearly the people who designed it didn't have kids. The 2nd row has a 50/50 fold, so if we have to fold down one section to get into the back, we can only have one seat in the 2nd row. The 3rd row doesn't have enough room for anything to RF...we have tried a Snugride32, Scenera, TF, and Radian. Nothing fits.

3-across is probably our best option (besides buying a minivan), so maybe 2 Cocorros and a Radian (all RFing) is the best bet?

Melissa & DH

February 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems like a lot of third rows are like that. Very irritating!

I'd do that or three radians.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We definitely can't do 3 Radians RFing because DH and I are both tall and the Radian RFing behind the driver makes us too scrunched to drive safely.

If I turn Claire FFing (wasn't the plan at 26ish months), I could put her in the 3rd row, one baby in a convertible on the side of the 2nd row that won't be flipped forward, and then install an infant seat with the seat belt (no base) on the half of the 2nd seat that will be flipped forward. How safe is the install of an infant seat with the seat belt and no base?

Melissa & DH

February 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What will you do when they outgrow the Coccoros? Especially if you have the same vehicle. If they outgrow it before 2, will they go forward facing?

Installing an infant seat without a base is safe if done correctly, and if it's a seat that is allowed to be installed without the base (not all of them are).
February 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What if you did Cocorros until they outgrow them and then did Radians RFing with the angle adjuster? The Cocorros should last until the twins are 2, meaning Claire will be 4 and definitely at a safe age to FF. So 2 RFing Radians and a FFing Radian in a couple of years. But by that point, you may decide that a different vehicle will fit your family of 5 better.

This is just a question out of curiosity, but do you plan on going anywhere with the twins and Claire without your DH before the babies can sit up well on their own? For example, grocery shopping. When our #3 is born, the girls will walk, and I will wear baby. But you can't wear two babies, so where does the other one go if you don't do the infant seat? I am not a huge fan of infant seats usually, but at some point, they are awfully convenient.
February 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
What will you do when they outgrow the Coccoros? Especially if you have the same vehicle. If they outgrow it before 2, will they go forward facing?
I absolutely will NOT FF before 2...I really don't want to FF until everyone outgrows the Radians. DH and I both want to get a different vehicle, but we're hoping to wait another year or so. Right now we don't have any car payments, and it would be nice to keep it that way as long as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
This is just a question out of curiosity, but do you plan on going anywhere with the twins and Claire without your DH before the babies can sit up well on their own? For example, grocery shopping. When our #3 is born, the girls will walk, and I will wear baby. But you can't wear two babies, so where does the other one go if you don't do the infant seat? I am not a huge fan of infant seats usually, but at some point, they are awfully convenient.
I was just thinking about this at the grocery store yesterday. I will definitely have to be out and about with the kids and without DH...he is military so sometimes I'm on my own for weeks/months at a time.

So I guess the best arrangement might be our Radian for Claire, and then another convertible for one twin, and an infant seat for the other. I know we can't get our Radian, True Fit, and Snugride 32 three across in our car, but if we got a Cocorro and did Radian, Cocorro, Snugride...that might work. What a circus!

Melissa & DH

March 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I hate the bucket, but practicality it was the best choice for us having an under 2 year old and the baby. I couldn't imagine trying to get two littles out into the car with a toddler. I'm now only thinking of switching Lanie to her convertibles once the weather is better since she's got better control when carrying her. I love my CCO don't get me wrong. We just moved Coby out of our's and Lanie will be getting it in our truck once I make the switch.

If it were me I'd be looking at 2 SR30s.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search