Do I really have to replace my car seats again?!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ::er!ca::

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 12:02 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My car was the victim of a hit and run in a parking lot last night. My insurance company won't give me a straight answer about replacing the car seats. One person said they should be replaced. Someone else said it didn't matter. Now I don't know what to do. What do you think?

The car was hit on the rear drivers side around the back wheel. The damage is mostly scratches and paint transfer but since I wasn't in the car when it happened I don't know how hard the impact was. My 9 y.o. dd's booster is installed closest to there in the driver's side third row. My 6 y.o. dd's seat is in the 2nd row passenger side. If I need to replace them at all, do they both need to be replaced or just the booster?

February 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it backed into while someone was backing out of their parking spot/pulling into their parking spot? I know you didn't see it, so you'd have to assume. What kind of parking was it? Was it side swiped? Just trying to figure out what kind of contact occurred between the two vehicles. Are there dents, or just scratches and paint transfers?
March 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My car was parallel parked on the street. The guy who hit me contacted me through his insurance company and all I've been able to get out of them is that he hit me while pulling out of the parking lot that was across the street. (a wide, 2 lane road with a bike lane) I really can't figure it out. My best guess is that he was turning left and turned too wide.

Most of the damage is scratching and paint transfer from the tailight to the door but there is just enough denting that the sliding door is now stuck and won't open.

His insurance won't pay to replace the seats and I really can't afford to pay for them myself. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I feel like they should be replaced but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Is it worth fighting the insurance company?

March 2nd, 2012, 03:53 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of course the insurance company is going to say no to replacing them at first, they want to put out as little money as possible. Since you didn't see the accident happen and can't get a full truth out of this guy, they need to be replaced. It is not worth risking. Your insurance company might replace them, but you really need to be firm with the other person's insurance company. Ask them to give you something in writing that states the car seats are safe to use after an accident (despite what the car seat manufacturer says). Push, push, push... they will give in.

What seats are your children riding in. Unless they're Britax, all manufacturers say to replace after ANY accident. Britax follows the NHTSA guidelines, but I'd still ask for them to be replaced.

Your children should not ride in those car seats ever again. Car seats are meant to go through one accident only, and there is no guarantee that they'll properly restraint your children if you're in another accident.
kemper2.0 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search