Graco 35 or chicco infant seat?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Which would you prefer?

We need to replace the infant seat (expired). Chicco no longer makes the same style to match the stroller. And I didn't like the stroller that much. None of the current styles match with the stroller. I'm debating getting a graco seat (snug ride 35) and I like the fabric/style choices better and they feel more comfy. And just get a snap and go stroller. It sounds good....but I don't know much about the graco infant seats. Or if there is another option to consider for infant seats. My biggest concern is price and height limits...what to use as long as possible since we have to get a new one.

Dh also asked if it is safe to install the infant seat without the base. I know most seats have the option for a seat belt install instead of latch with the base. I just don't know anything saftey wise.

March 19th, 2012, 07:49 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only used Graco, of the two, but they're both great seats. The Chicco Keyfit 30's base is a bit narrower, if space is an issue. Both seats should last about the same amount of time (height wise- which is how they're outgrown first most of the time). It is also safe to install both seats without the base. The two seats allow installs without the base, but there are infant seats that do not allow it. Make sure you read your manual, it will give you instructions on how to do a baseless install.

If you're really unsure of which to get, I'd go for the one you can find the best deal on or the one you like the cover the best.
March 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have a Graco with the Snap-n-Go and it worked really well for us.

About installing the seat without the base...I know that Graco allows it and it is pretty simple, BUT it might not work well in your car. I tried ours the other day without the base, and I can get a tight install, but not at a recline angle that is safe for a newborn...it is just the angle of our seats. Babies R Us and other stores will let you try a seat in your car before you buy, so you might want to keep that in mind!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure you can still use a rolled up towel with a baseless install to get the right angle.
March 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.

I'm checking target and they seem to have better prices. Any info on these seats:
Cosco
Saftey first

Is one graco seat better or preferable? I see they have a standard one, 30, and 35.

We have the alpha omega convertible seats, just can use them until baby is bigger from what I understand. So we need a 3-6 month solution!

March 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
The Graco SnugRide 22 is a very small seat and outgrown quickly. It has a short shell and only a 22 pound weight limit. The 30 and 35 models have a taller shell and higher weight limit, which makes them last longer. Some of the 22 models have rear harness adjusters, which are a pain in the butt.

The Safety 1st onBoard 35 Air is a really good infant seat as well.
March 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
I'm pretty sure you can still use a rolled up towel with a baseless install to get the right angle.
True...I was just thinking that if you are going to have to do the towel/pool noodle trick every time you get into the car, that would be a pain in the rear.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
True...I was just thinking that if you are going to have to do the towel/pool noodle trick every time you get into the car, that would be a pain in the rear.
So true!!

I never liked installing without the base, I'm too lazy
March 19th, 2012, 07:26 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am deciding between those two seats as well... and I keep hearing that the snugride 22 isn't ideal not only b/c of the lower weight limit but that the first harness slot is usually too high for a newborn anyway, and that the 30 and 35 are the way to go.

March 20th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I have a SnugRide32 (same shell as the 35). And my short torso 22 month old still fits with 1" of shell over his head. He's right at the 32lbs. It's his sister's seat now but I'm impressed he still fits. The SnugRide22 he outgrew around 6 months. I never owned one but we put him in my friend's son's and DS had already outgrown it.

For the Safety 1st you'll want the OnBoard Air. It's got the better base that's easier to use.

made by BAM

March 22nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoconut View Post
I am deciding between those two seats as well... and I keep hearing that the snugride 22 isn't ideal not only b/c of the lower weight limit but that the first harness slot is usually too high for a newborn anyway, and that the 30 and 35 are the way to go.
And that is the problem we are running into with our convertible seats. We have 2 Alpha Omega's in perfectly good shape, don't expire for 2-3 years. From what I've heard here and from other mom's locally, this seat is not ideal until the baby is a bit bigger. DD was average height at birth, but quickly jumped off the chart 100+% for height. I don't want to be stuck at the hospital waiting on DH to find a car seat to be able to take the baby home if the Alpha Omega doesn't fit. I haven't talked to one person yet who had a good fit with their newborn in the Alpha Omega.

:grrr: I'm beyond frustrated. I forgot that I nanny, and will need a 3rd car seat anyways. So I'm thinking long-term I might as well get one of the Britax seats or other quality rear-forward facing seats. Put that in my car and call it a day. Move that back and forth, car to car until the Alpha Omega's fit good.

It was not this difficult to pick a car seat with #1. It really wasn't. Fewer choices on the market. Now its just too much and no idea where to begin :/

So, new question: What would be some decent convertible seats that would fit a newborn properly, with high height limits, and would be easy to move car-to-car as needed?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search