Need a seat recommendation!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Hi ladies! I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. We just had a second baby, and hubby is having to really step up his game in terms of helping out with the kids - particularly our toddler. Up until now we have always transported the family in my car. He drives a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, so that was just for his own use. My older dd is getting ready to go to preschool, and the new baby will be going to our DCP. There's no way I can take them both and still get to work on time, so hubby has to drive one. His jeep is a 2 door, and he will be wearing a suit. So dd is going to have to be FFing (a first for us, and I'm really nervous!) bc he cannot climb in the back of the Jeep to strap her in. On top of that, the Jeep doesn't have lower LATCH anchors, and the one time either of us tried installing a car seat using the seat belts (not in the Jeep though) it was an abysmal failure. Plus if you've never been in a 2 door wrangler, the back seat is not very large at all and there is very little leg room. OH! And the entire seat (not just the car seat.....the actual vehicle seat) has to come out about once a week. SO he needs to be able to install, uninstall, and reinstall the car seat himself.

So to recap. I need a carseat that is really safe even FFing. Something that will fit in a tiny backseat. And something that is easy for a Dad to install correctly without the help of LATCH.

Just as a side note, our dd will be 3 in August. She weighs about 30lbs. I'm not sure how tall she is. She currently rides RFing in a MyRide65. Little baby is in a snug ride. But we have no problem using a non-Graco seat. Willing to spend as much as we need to. And we live in the Washington DC metro area - second worst commute in the country. The commute from home to preschool is about 45 min each way. We need something to keep our little girl safe. Unfortunately buying a new vehicle is not an option right now, and the dealer told us the Jeep cannot be retrofitted with LATCH.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, I would suggest meeting with a local CPST with whatever seat you buy, dad, and dad's Jeep so they can insure that he is installing the seat correctly, especially if the seat is going to come out of the vehicle and put back in at least once a week.

Your DD is tiny, so if there is any possible way you can keep her RFing, with the help of a tech showing your DH how to properly install a seat, I would do it. I'm not quite sure what "wearing a suit" has to do with it? I just can't get over why convenience would trump safety, sorry. How tall is your DD? If she's not super tall, she may still fit in a Combi Cocorro or a Cosco Scenera, and they would both fit rear facing. Heck, even big seats like the Marathon and Evenflo Triumph have been known to rear face in the back seat of a Jeep. And I've seen a Diono Radian rear facing in the back seat of a Jeep.

What year is the Jeep? Does it have top tether anchors? I wouldn't FF a seat without it being tethered, if at all possible... that just decreases safety when safety has already been decreased simply by turning her forward facing.
April 2nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
It's a 2001. I need to double check but the websites I was looking at said it has top tether anchors. The problem with the suit (and I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in Jeeps) is that the inseam of suit pants is not very flexible. He physically won't be able to climb into the back without taking his pants off - which might be OK at our house but would probably get him arrested at preschool

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
Wait, is he planning to put a FFing seat in the front seat?
April 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
Oh no! In the back seat! That's why he needs to be able to reach her to buckle without getting in the back.

April 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
I've had a two door car with rear facing kids, and I never had to climb in the back seat to buckle the kid. I could reach over the front seat to buckle her in, especially with an older child that could climb into the seat on her own. I mean, he's going to have to do a fair amount of leaning towards the back seat to buckle her in anyway, if she is forward facing. I guess I just don't quite understand, and my suggestion is to still rear face your DD.

But if you insist not to, then any forward facing harnessing seat that she fits in will be fine. I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro, Graco Nautilus, Britax Froniter 85, Evenflo SecureKid 400.

And I still suggest meeting with a local CPST to make sure the seat is being properly installed since it will be removed so frequently.

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL
April 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
What about the Combi Zeus? It can rotate all the way around so he can buckle/unbuckle her while FF then turn her around so she's RF for the ride.
April 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorismurph View Post
What about the Combi Zeus? It can rotate all the way around so he can buckle/unbuckle her while FF then turn her around so she's RF for the ride.
It only goes up to 33lbs RF doesn't it? If so, then that'd be kind of pointless to buy when she's already 30lbs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search