New Here, Help Please.....

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaLexi
  • 1 Post By ::er!ca::

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need some car seat advice. I am in New Zealand and we don't have as many options here for seats. My son turned 4 in feb and is 44" tall and weighs 44lbs. He is currently harnessed in a Sunshine kids Radian RXT, but we need a spare seat in my husbands car. His RXT doesn't turn into a booster so I was looking at the Monterey booster and was just wondering what everyone thought.

My DS2 is in a evenflo Symphony (not 65) he is 18 months and is 34" and 27lbs. I originally brought the symphony thinking i wouldn't need another seat but DS1 outgrew the harness weight way before he was ready to use a booster, which i think the evenflo can be used as? if that's the case should i get another RXT for DS2 and use the evenflo for DS1 in DH car?

Sorry hope you can make sense of all the info

Thanks
Rebecca
April 7th, 2012, 02:42 AM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
3-in-1 seats usually don't make the greatest boosters, but I don't know about the Symphony specifically.

My advice would be to get another RXT, and use it in the second vehicle for your DS1 until he is ready for a booster (usually 5-6yrs old). Then you could get your DS1 a dedicated booster, and pass the RXT to your DS2, who would likely be close to outgrowing the Symphony by weight at the same time. Then your DS1's current RXT could be used for DS2 as well. This way you only have to buy 1 seat for now, and 1 later, and your DS1 can get to a better booster age.

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
April 7th, 2012, 07:22 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I agree with Lexi. I don't know what all seats you have available, but I absolutely would NOT recommend boostering a child that just turned four. When you booster a child you are making THEM responsible for their own safety. He has to be able to stay in position no matter what. No bending to pick up toys/books. No moving to play with a sibling. A four year old just isn't mature enough for that.

Lexi is also right about 3-in-1's. They are notorious for providing poor belt fit and therefore actually INCREASING risk of injury to your child. When you do move to a booster, the lap belt needs to rest across your child's hips and the shoulder belt should be on the shoulder (not arm or neck as I've seen on some kids).

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
April 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Evenflo Symphony actually makes an excellent booster, belt fit is great, but it doesn't adjust very tall... so it would need to be replaced with another booster after it is outgrown.
amylynne01 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search