Convertibles and newborns (updated w/ more ?'s after trying seat)

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think dh and I decided to get a new convertible seat for the car and skip the infant seat.

So spam me in the best choices!

I looked at the graco my ride 65 and evenflo tribute. The my ride looked better. I was at target so I didn't see any britax models I liked. I know a radion (sp) doesn't fit. I do selfishly want a cute, girlie seat.

Would the my ride fit a newborn good? What else should we consider?

UPDATE:
The my ride fits great in the car and I *love it*! It actually fits better then the Alpha Omega seats. That said, I have two questions! We will 100% be buying a My Ride as a primary car seat.

1. I noticed that the one at Target has a different "infant insert" then the one at Babies R Us. I checked the Graco website and noticed they have a couple different options I guess. Is one better then the other? Is there a difference in the seats safety wise? We saw one with a side impact (adjustable) head rest thing and another with just the infant insert. Here are the links: With the side impact: GRACOBABY - My Ride™ 65 Convertible Car Seat
Without the side impact:
GRACOBABY - My Ride™ 65 Convertible Car Seat

I could not tell a difference in the actual function of the car seat. (These are the two that we saw at the actual store)

2. The My Ride fit GREAT in my car. Currently, we have 2 Alpha Omega's that go rear and forward facing (exp 2014 and 2015 I think). We have a Frontier also (exp 2017). The My Ride fit MUCH better compared to how the Alpha Omega's fit. They do not even compare to each other. The AO's seem to take up more space in the back seat and make it difficult for me to sit in the passenger seat. Dh said he wouldn't mind buying two of the My Ride's and just trashing the Alpha Omega's. I hate to do that since the seats haven't expired, but I see his point. The My Ride did fit that much better and appears to be more comfortable for both baby and others riding in the car. So here's my question: What would you do? Completely replace the Alpha Omega's or use the Alpha Omega's until they expire as secondary seat(s) and see what is on the market and/or switch to the Frontier as a primary seat in 2-3 years? I have looked a lot of car seats and tried a lot in my car, but I haven't seen one that fits as well rear facing. DH has the same car (newer model). So I imagine it would fit the same.

Last edited by hope71012; April 14th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
April 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The My Ride 65 will fit a newborn beautifully! I had this seat for my younger DD, she rear faced in it until she was 3 years old. I really liked the seat.

Check out The First Years/Lamaze True Fit. This would be my seat of choice if I were using a convertible for a newborn.
April 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had a true fit from birth and my two year old is still rear facing happily in it. We have been very very satisfied with this seat. I love that the headrest is removable so when they're newborn you don't need all that extra height.

We also have a my ride as a spare seat and I'm not a big fan of it... but I hear nothing but good things by everybody else.

April 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great!
What is the difference between the true fit and my ride?

What I have seen online is that the my ride is big and might not fit in smaller cars and can be difficult to adjust/latch. We both like the frontier ease of latch, but not the price tags!!! My ride does look very comfy

April 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have a True Fit as well, and I really love it. We didn't use it for our last newborn, but will be using it for one of the twins. The infant padding is really cushy and it seems like a little one would be very cozy. As the others mentioned, you can take the headrest off to make the seat more compact...Claire didn't need the headrest until she was over a year old. The no-rethread harness is also really nice and easy to adjust.

This is the True Fit that we have...only $15 more than the MyRide. One of the smaller pictures shows the polka-dot infant padding that comes with the seat. Walmart.com: The First Years - True Fit Convertible Car Seat, Abstract O's, Black and Green: Car Seats

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

April 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have two MyRides. I really love mine. I don't think it's bigger than the TF with a headrest on, though it might be wider. I don't really care about the width because I'm only going to have the two carseats in the back and Kate loves her cupholders!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
April 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not worried about width either! Just fitting length wise! My big one is in a booster and can easily move her around!

Hmm, would it be worth it to replace the Alpha Omegas completely? They still have time before they expire (2-3 yrs), but they have seen better days! You know melted crayons, stains, etc. I also don't know if we still have the infant insert. Do we have to use those with newborns? I know aftermarket ones are not reccomended. Dd outgrew them at 3-ish, before she was ready for a booster. However both will expire before this baby is ready to booster. My frontier will still be good though.

April 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I could be wrong, but I don't think a newborn will fit in an Alpha Omega. I'd probably just get 2 MyRides if you love that seat.

But just add me for another vote for the True Fit I've never used a MyRide, but we do have a TF Premier. I don't think we put DD in it until 6 weeks or so (we also had an infant seat in one car), but she would have fit from birth. Still RFing in it now and she will definitely fit in it for a long time.

April 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope71012 View Post

UPDATE:
The my ride fits great in the car and I *love it*! It actually fits better then the Alpha Omega seats. That said, I have two questions! We will 100% be buying a My Ride as a primary car seat.

1. I noticed that the one at Target has a different "infant insert" then the one at Babies R Us. I checked the Graco website and noticed they have a couple different options I guess. Is one better then the other? Is there a difference in the seats safety wise? We saw one with a side impact (adjustable) head rest thing and another with just the infant insert. Here are the links: With the side impact: GRACOBABY - My Ride™ 65 Convertible Car Seat
Without the side impact:
GRACOBABY - My Ride™ 65 Convertible Car Seat

I could not tell a difference in the actual function of the car seat. (These are the two that we saw at the actual store)

2. The My Ride fit GREAT in my car. Currently, we have 2 Alpha Omega's that go rear and forward facing (exp 2014 and 2015 I think). We have a Frontier also (exp 2017). The My Ride fit MUCH better compared to how the Alpha Omega's fit. They do not even compare to each other. The AO's seem to take up more space in the back seat and make it difficult for me to sit in the passenger seat. Dh said he wouldn't mind buying two of the My Ride's and just trashing the Alpha Omega's. I hate to do that since the seats haven't expired, but I see his point. The My Ride did fit that much better and appears to be more comfortable for both baby and others riding in the car. So here's my question: What would you do? Completely replace the Alpha Omega's or use the Alpha Omega's until they expire as secondary seat(s) and see what is on the market and/or switch to the Frontier as a primary seat in 2-3 years? I have looked a lot of car seats and tried a lot in my car, but I haven't seen one that fits as well rear facing. DH has the same car (newer model). So I imagine it would fit the same.
The different inserts are because they redesigned the cover/insert. One isn't better than the other, they both work well with newborns. What you'll find is that the difference will be the date of manufacture... so the older style of insert and cover will have an older DOM, and expire sooner. The brown "Cuddle" print you linked is the older style, the black/green one is the newer style. All harnessing seats provide side impact protection, so I wouldn't worry about which insert you think would be better because there is no way to prove which offers more protection... they both offer it. But like I said, both will be great

If the funds are available, I'd replace both AOs. I hate those seats. Plus you won't be tempted to use them as a booster (they make HORRIBLE boosters) if you just go ahead and get ride of them. The MR65 will last longer, both rear facing and forward facing than the AOs will. There isn't anything wrong with using the AO as a rear facing seat or a forward facing harnessing seat though, so don't stress yourself if you decide to keep one and think it is less safe than the MR65. It is a perfectly safe seat in harnessing mode. That being said, the AO won't fit a newborn properly... so if you're wanting to use the AO for a newborn, it isn't going to happen for a few months.
April 17th, 2012, 07:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope71012 View Post
DH has the same car (newer model). So I imagine it would fit the same.
It is still a good idea to try the seat in his car before you buy! DH and I have the exact same SUV...except his seats are cloth and mine are leather. Because of this, the padding in the seats is different and seats fit differently.

You might not think there is any difference at all, but I'd try anyway just to be on the safe side!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

April 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I ditto the previous post. My mom and have the same car. One is a 2010 and has leather seats, the other is a 2007 with cloth seats. While installing my 2007 is a snap, installing in her 2010 is a major PITA!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search