Question about the Britax Frontier 85

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Alexa5
This could be our next seat as my 3 yo son is getting close to outgrowing his Boulevard by height.

What I am concerned about in reading reviews and information is:

Is it really actually difficult to install? I have read people's tips that supposedly make it less so, but it sounds complicated when you aren't installing it/just reading about it. I am hoping it will be a good fit in a Civic and 4Runner.

I am wondering why the harness adjuster isn't simple like the Boulevard? It said the lever was on the back and you would have to remove the seat to adjust it, which is a bummer for me....that is one of the things I love about his current seat (being able to adjust it from the side).

Did the seat used to have an easier way to adjust before the newer model? I think some older reviews mentioned it being easy to adjust without removing the seat....
April 17th, 2012, 04:27 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I typically don't find any seat difficult to install. So it wasn't that the FR85 was hard for me to install, but it took more effort than installing any other seat I've ever used. I had to use the long belt path (LBP- and in the manual it will show you how to determine which route to take), and while routing the belt wasn't hard, tightening it was (just simply because of the route the belt takes, it isn't straight so not as easy to pull tight). I bet LATCH would have been a breeze, but there is a 40 pound weight limit on the lower anchors with Britax in my van, and my DD is right at 40 pounds.

I haven't adjusted the harness height since I installed it in February, but I bet if I just loosened the top tether I could raise it up without having to uninstall the seat. I'm not sure though, I could be wrong.

I do find the Nautilus easier to install, but I really think it just has to do with the belt path. If you are able to use the short belt path to install the FR85, you may not have any issues.
April 17th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Alexa5
Thanks! I know once it is installed everyone seems happy with the seat, so I can't help but want it over the Nautilus, especially since I have liked the Boulevard so much.

Any opinions on the newer side impact version versus the regular one? I know the side impact one is wider, but I read that it will still fit fine in most cars as long as you don't need anyone sitting in the middle of the back seat (which I can't in my car with the convertible seat either).
April 17th, 2012, 05:25 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All harnessing seats have side impact protection. There are no standards to show us which seats have more/better side impact protection that others. I would go with the regular FR85 over the FR85 SICT... just like I'd choose the Boulevard over the Advocate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search