Wondering which boosters to get?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 7.5 and 10 year old's both ride in Graco high back turbo boosters. They are both looking a little worn from years of use and I want to get them new ones. But I'm not sure what I should get the 10 year old. All the high back boosters I see say the max height is 57 inches. She is 52 inches tall, but slender and on the lower end of weight max out (about 56lbs). With her age and puberty, I imagine she's going to continue this rapid growth until she's about 13. So, should I get a backless booster? Just go ahead and get another high back? I don't have another girl who can use the seat after her, so I guess I'd have to just junk it when she's done. She is also starting to say the seat is too narrow. Is there a booster that's more roomy width wise?

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

April 28th, 2012, 03:37 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your 10 year old would be fine in a backless booster. You can get something like the $13 Harmony, or a $23 Evenflo Amp (probably my favorite) or a backless Graco Turbobooster for $25. There are many, many backless boosters out there, some inexpensive and some way more expensive. I'm not sure what your budget is though. The Evenflo Amp will be roomier than the Turbobooster. The Harmony looks narrow, but because of the way the arms flare out, it isn't too bad. The DIONO Monterey is pretty roomy too.

For your 7 year old, I'd prefer to see this child still in a highback. You can get one that has a removable back, so it can be a backless in a couple years. My (almost) 7 year old rides in a Britax Parkway SGL. It is the tallest highback booster, I believe.
April 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Yes, the 7 year old will stay in his high back for quite a while. Probably until he is her age. He's a small guy. He's already picked out a new print in a Graco high back turbo booster.

I will check into both that you said are roomier. Now that she's getting hips, I want her to be comfortable in her seat. I assume the graco backless turbo booster would be the same width as her high back, so I better skip that one and look at the others.

Thanks!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

April 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Well, I ordered them. At first I was just going to get her a backless since she won't need it for more than 2 years. But she started looking and fell in love with this one, so I got it for her. LOL It looks roomy and I looked at several pictures and reviews online, all saying this was a wider car seat, so I hope so!

Walmart.com: The First Years - Compass Ultra Folding Adjustable Booster, Butterfly: Car Seats

The 7 year old of course wanted the same one, just in another color which meant I had to order on two separate sites, but that's ok. The reviews on this brand seem to all say they are quality made, so I really hope so! I don't have to worry with reviews about adjusting straps or latch or anything, so that makes it easier.

The First Years Elegance B505 Booster Car Seat : Target

~Audrey Elizabeth~

April 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
superwoman8977's Avatar Awesome Mommy!
We love our lbb AMP. DS has been in a backless booster since he was 7 and now we use the booster about 20% of the time since he just really doesnt fit in it anymore (hes 4 ft 7 and 79 lbs)...oh and 9 years old...

Thanks AlexAidenmom for my awesome siggie!

April 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfor3 View Post
Well, I ordered them. At first I was just going to get her a backless since she won't need it for more than 2 years. But she started looking and fell in love with this one, so I got it for her. LOL It looks roomy and I looked at several pictures and reviews online, all saying this was a wider car seat, so I hope so!

Walmart.com: The First Years - Compass Ultra Folding Adjustable Booster, Butterfly: Car Seats

The 7 year old of course wanted the same one, just in another color which meant I had to order on two separate sites, but that's ok. The reviews on this brand seem to all say they are quality made, so I really hope so! I don't have to worry with reviews about adjusting straps or latch or anything, so that makes it easier.

The First Years Elegance B505 Booster Car Seat : Target
In the Turbobooster, was your 10 year old's shoulder still below the belt guide on the highest setting? I ask because I know the Turbobooster doesn't adjust as tall as other boosters on the market, and the booster you bought her is about a quarter of an inch shorter. I just hope that height isn't an issue, or this booster may not work out for her.

I do applaud you for having your 10 year old in a booster! Seriously, I'm very happy to read that! People are so quick to pull them out of boosters, but most children need to be in them until they're 10-12 years old. Even if it isn't the "cool" thing to do, it keeps them safe.... which is way better than the alternative, IMO! So great job! You're doing a great thing!
April 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
In the Turbobooster, was your 10 year old's shoulder still below the belt guide on the highest setting? I ask because I know the Turbobooster doesn't adjust as tall as other boosters on the market, and the booster you bought her is about a quarter of an inch shorter. I just hope that height isn't an issue, or this booster may not work out for her.

I do applaud you for having your 10 year old in a booster! Seriously, I'm very happy to read that! People are so quick to pull them out of boosters, but most children need to be in them until they're 10-12 years old. Even if it isn't the "cool" thing to do, it keeps them safe.... which is way better than the alternative, IMO! So great job! You're doing a great thing!
Yes. She could actually click it up at least 2 or 3 more times and the belt guide would still be higher than her shoulder. I moved it up to the highest setting and snapped a picture of her in it. Does it look ok? Does the same rule about head spacing apply (ex. head must be at least 1 inch below,etc) to booster seats? I think she'll be good on shoulder space below the belt guide (since she's mostly legs) but I just wanted to double check on the head part.

~Audrey Elizabeth~

April 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The 1" rule is for rear facing only.

For a booster, her shoulder needs to be below the shoulder belt guide, AND the top of her ears need to be below the top of the headrest. And of course she needs to be under the maximum weight limit

Can I see a picture of the position she usually has it in?
April 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I don't have one off hand. It's usually 2 clicks down which puts the bottom of the seat belt guide at the top of her shoulder. Her ears are definitely lower. I'll snap one tomorrow!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search