Tall toddler and ERF

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all! We want to keep our daughter rear-facing as long as possible, but at this point I'm a bit concerned. She needs the shoulder straps raised on her MyRide 65, but the instructions say not to use the top setting while rear facing. She is also less than an inch from the top of the shell somehow. She still has about 7 pounds til she reaches the RF weight limit of 40lb. WWYD? I don't want to turn her too soon, but I also don't want to rear-face her in an unsafe way. Anyone have any thoughts?

Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong that she's already outgrowing the seat height-wise? We have it aligned so that the bead is resting in the "green" area of the level...

May 28th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Alexa5
If she is long torso'd that can happen. My son outgrew his convertible seat rear facing at 19 mos as he was an inch from the top of the shell. So we did have to turn him around. I wasn't thrilled about it at the time but I figured we did a good job keeping him RF that long and turned him for a good reason.
May 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
If you want to keep her RFing longer you could move her to a seat with a taller shell. My DD is in a Sunshine Kids Radian (now a Diono XRT) and it has one of the tallest shell heights available...she has a long torso like me, so I figured we'd need it.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

May 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
If you want to keep her RFing longer you could move her to a seat with a taller shell. My DD is in a Sunshine Kids Radian (now a Diono XRT) and it has one of the tallest shell heights available...she has a long torso like me, so I figured we'd need it.
That is an excellent idea, but reading the reviews on Amazon I'm doubtful it will fit RFing in our car (a Honda Civic). I wonder if the car is going to become more of a limitation than available carseats...

May 29th, 2012, 04:31 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you take a picture so we can see just how close her head is to the top of the seat?

For rear facing, as long as the straps are below the shoulders, it doesn't matter how far below the shoulders they are, so you can leave them on the setting it is on.

How old is your DD, and how tall? My tall DD2 outgrew the MR65 by height and weight at the same time, she was just a couple months past her 3rd birthday. She's in the 90+% for height, and always has been. My kids don't have super long torsos though, but hers is longer than my DD1. I just can't imagine a 1 year old outgrowing it?
May 29th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Can you take a picture so we can see just how close her head is to the top of the seat?

For rear facing, as long as the straps are below the shoulders, it doesn't matter how far below the shoulders they are, so you can leave them on the setting it is on.

How old is your DD, and how tall? My tall DD2 outgrew the MR65 by height and weight at the same time, she was just a couple months past her 3rd birthday. She's in the 90+% for height, and always has been. My kids don't have super long torsos though, but hers is longer than my DD1. I just can't imagine a 1 year old outgrowing it?
I'll take a pic next time she's in there. She's 2y2m and 37" tall last I heard, but definitely has a long torso.

May 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, she's older than I thought (I was looking at your ticker, LOL)... It is possible that she has outgrown it. My DD was about 40 inches when she outgrew it, and like I said, she doesn't have a super long torso.

Can you sit her on the floor, up against the wall, and measure from the floor up to the top of her shoulder?
May 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ahh, I didn't even know my ticker was showing! I turned off signatures thinking I was turning that off because I haven't updated anything in a very long time (I'm back now because I'm pregnant with #2!) but I think I only turned off viewing other people's signatures. Oops.

I will do that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search