Latch and seatbelt question

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By esparando para bebé
  • 1 Post By Rachel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2012, 07:08 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that using a latch and seat belt together is wrong.

But, my fiance wants proof, and I don't know where to find it. Normally, he agrees with me on car seat things....ERF, five point latch for several years, etc. But, yesterday, he was putting his mom's Maestro in her mom's car, and it was loose with just the latch....like he was sitting on it, pulling on the strap until his hand hurt, and it was still loose. So, he seat belted it too. I told him that our daughter could not ride like that, and she did not, but he could not understand the reasoning, saying that it sounds more safe. I know every manual I have seen says no, but he's the type that likes solid proof. Is there anyone that has any links that will prove what I am trying to get across to him?

Thank you in advance.

June 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm confused... is the manual given by the manufacturer of the car seat that says DO NOT USE THE TWO TOGETHER not solid proof?

Your fiance is being absolutely ridiculous, and honestly if the print in the instruction manual isn't solid proof that the manufacturer doesn't allow it, nothing will be.

Maybe you should ask him for solid proof that it is allowed and safe, since you have print in your hand that says it is not.

If he is so adamant about not following the manual, maybe he should be doing the leg work to prove that he is right, instead of making you do the leg work to try to prove you wrong.
June 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I don't agree that he is being absolutely ridiculous, hence the reason I came here to ask for advice and to see if there were *reasons* out there.

Normally, we agree on the safety of our child, like with ERF (for example), he understands there is a huge safety benefit. When a person thinks about it (Me included), it would seem that double protection (both the latch and the seat belt) would make the car seat even safer, even though the manual says that it is not.

I was just checking to see if there were any links that you knew of that had reasons behind not using both, kind of like there are links that talk about ERF and the benefits. I didn't think it was a ridiculous request, as you pointed out. Thanks, though.

June 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a lot of information available for why you can't use both at the same time, they would pop up easily if he googled it to find out. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; June 12th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
June 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Wow. What a supportive host!

As for the OP's question, I don't have any links off the top of my head, but there are a couple reasons the manufacturer will state not to use both. One is that it hasn't been tested. In this case, he'd be making your dd a guinea pig. We don't know what will happen in an accident. The other reason is that they tested it and it failed in some way. In this case, it again is not safe. I will try to email/pm you this as well in case you have (understandably) bowed out of the thread).
lovemyleah likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I believe that (Erica, correct me if I'm wrong) the reason is because the latch and seat belt together could put too much pressure on the seat in a crash and cause it to fail. Also, they are not tested with both the latch and the seat belt, so to use it improperly (using both) voids the warranty.
::MummyToThree:: likes this.
June 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Augie and Rachel for your assistance. I appreciate it!!

June 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Both Augie and Rachel have answered this pretty correctly. Also, in many states it is illegal to use a car seat incorrectly, meaning that if the manufacturer says "you can't use latch and seatbelt together", and you do, then you are committing a crime.

I never suggest using a car seat in a way it has not been tested and PROVEN safe, and LATCH and vehicle seat belt has not been tested and proven safe when used together.

I hope that your fiance can come around and understand that there are reasons that they are not used together, even if those reasons are not obvious to us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search