Instal question/ seat recommendations

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies

My son is currently in a MR65. He is just shy 38in and just over 37lbs and not quite 2.5 years. He is RFing.

The problem I'm having right now is that I'm having a really hard time finding a seat for in my Mom's car. She sits for us and does te occasional pick up from daycare, so she really needs a seat. I tried the MR in her civic both RF and FF. Her seat belts don't lock properly, so I have to use latch. And the MR just doesn't fit well.

So far I can't get a tight instal with the MR, a nauti or a couple other seats I tried. I tried half the seats at TRU. I get a better FF instal, simply because of the top tether. I feel like there is still too much movement at the belt path.

How much movement is allowed at the belt path when FF? Is it the same as RF?

I also just saw a thread here about the weight limit for latch. Any tips for using the seat belt if it doesn't lock properly? I have never had any luck using that lock thing that comes with the seat. The belt will lock when I first install the seat, but when the car turns off it unlocks.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
June 15th, 2012, 05:18 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There can only be up to 1 inch of movement, in all directions, at the belt path. This is the same for both rear facing and forward facing. Would you be willing to make and appointment with a local CPST to have them help you with your install? If a solid install is possible, they would be able to give you some tips on making it more solid than you are able to get it now.

Another option for a car seat, since you said the belts don't lock properly, is getting a car seat that has lock-offs. The First Years True Fit has lock-offs, as do the Britax Marathon and Boulevard (Pavilion and Advocate do as well). And of course there is always a locking clip. To use the locking clip, you don't lock the belt at all. There are instructions in your car seat manual on how to use the locking clip, and one should have come with the seats (probably stored on the bottom, or in a baggy that was in the box when you got it).

The lower anchors of LATCH do have weight limits, it is based on your vehicle and your car seat. In a Honda, the lower anchors have a 40 pound weight limit. As far as I remember, only Ford has a weight limit on the top anchor (which is 60 pounds).

If you'd like to contact a local CPST for some hands on help, you can use this link. Just enter in your location information (try it two different ways- the first with your city- or largest city near you if you live in a small town; and second with your zip code- if you live in a large city). I've found doing it those two different ways produce different results, some better than others.

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL

Last edited by ::er!ca::; June 15th, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search