help choseing a carseat *long*

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sorry about my spelling as my spell check is not working and i have trouble spelling***

so i have a radian in are car right now the ones from when they where still sunshine goes up to 53inch in the straps ( dont even get me starte at what we are going to do once shes out of tht in 2 years lol), i also have an older car seat i use for when we go in other peoples cars but she is growing out of it so i need to get her a new one for when we go in other peoples cars ( im disabled and cant drive)

i have narrowed it down to to, ether option A just spend 330 on a new radien what goes up to 57inch in straps and can be used as a boster with seat belt

or B pay 230 and get the britax (sp) one that goes to 57 in the strapes and to 63 ( i think) without the straps

since it is for other peoples cars i realy like that the radien is so thin and dd is used to it and likes it is also works well with her chuncky legs, however its heavy!!! and 100 dollors more

the britax (sp) goes to the same hight in the straps but even bigger after, plus its lighter but wider and in other peoples cars sometimes we do 3 in the back. its also on sale for 230 at babys rus in the cow print witch i love!

she will be front caing soon so the rear facing option wont matter ( please dont judge)

i also feel like im going to the dark side if i leave dina/ sunshine lol im vary brand loyal i allready feel bad enof i hated my myride 65 so much i left graco and i was so brand loyal to them!

im leaning more to the britax (sp) but i dont no any help? lol

i forgot to add shes about to be 2 in july and is about 34inch and 28lbs*

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

June 17th, 2012, 06:31 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Britax Frontier 85 will last years longer than the Diono Radian. It has taller harness strap heights. The Radian's tallest harness slot is 17.5 inches, and the Froniter 85's tallest harness slot is at least 20 inches. Don't be so focused on overall height (57 inches), because that really means nothing in terms of how long a child will actually fit in a seat height wise. Some children have longer torsos (and necks, or bigger heads LOL) than others and will outgrow them way faster. Some children are also smaller in those areas, and will be able to fit a lot longer. What is most important is torso length, or seated height, which will give an idea of where their shoulders will be in relation to the top harness slot. Remember, forward facing the harness slot must be at or above the shoulders. That is why those measurements are so important. The Britax also makes a better booster than the Radian. The Britax adjusts taller in booster mode, making it last longer. I'm not a big fan of the Radian in booster mode, there seem to be some design flaws that could be dangerous- most important one to point out is that in some vehicles the seat belt doesn't thread through the shoulder belt guide smoothly, and causes the belt to get stuck and have slack in it.

As for moving the seat from vehicle to vehicle, both seats are pretty heavy. The Radian weighs 24 pounds, and is narrower than the Froniter 85. However, the Froniter 85 weighs 19.6 pounds.

Try not to worry so much about being brand loyal, sometimes one manufacturer doesn't have the seat that meets your needs all the way through your child's car seat years.

A couple more question- what makes you think your child is going to outgrow her Radian in 2 years? Most kids will make it well past 4 years old in the harness, unless they have a long torso. Also, what is the "older" seat you mentioned that she uses? Just wanted to make sure it isn't expired, do you know the date of manufacture?

Are you open to other car seat suggestions?
June 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
im open to anything, the one things i dont like are anything graco that arnt infant seats for some reason audie just dose not fit well in them my myride she hated and i hated and my friend has the natius (sp) and it cut into her legs.

i think she will be out of her radian befor 4 years witch i dont like! its one of the older ones from like 2 years ago where they only hold up to 53inch and dont turn into a high back boster. shes allready at the 2nd highest harnes and theres like an inch befor i have to move it up to the highest. so in a yr or two i will have to replace that one but ill worry about it then lol.

my one i bring from car to car is going to expires in dec, so thats another reason i need to replace it it was from my brother (his extra one there 2nd car that they got rid of. hes 4 so its not that old )

since we live in buffalo to i forgot to mention in the winter she has alot of fluff on. and i no they shouldnt be wearing a coat in the carseat but realy we drop into the negatives sometimes and i couldnt make her take her coat off. but i got her a northface this yr so im hoping that will help with the fluff of the coat snowsuits and such so she can wear that unless it gets realy cold out.

im open to any carseat you think would work good. i would realy like to keep her in a 5point till her 5th birthday if possible. but she dose have a big head and chucky legs lol.if audie had it her way she would be in her infant seat still that was a fight and a half to get her to go somewhere without it!. she was in it till 17m ish till she hit the 32inch thing and her head got to clsoe to the top lol. we still have to bring it in the car with baby dolls in it sometimes so she wont fight us on her seat! what kids likes and infant seat every other kid i no hated it!.

thank you for all your help i look forward to researching the careats you think will work well for us!. im the stay at home mom who researcher everything baby and kids and im allways looking to learn new things since im the one all my friends come to to ask about careats/ strollers and babygear. sorry about the spelling my spell checks not working on my laptop and i such at it

p.s. im that crazy mom you see in babys are us trying her toddler in carseats lol.

June 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
erica wher you able to find any other carseats that would be good for us?

June 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Again, don't look at the stated height limit "57 inches" "53 inches" "63 inches" etc. What you need to be looking at is how high the top harness position. Did you sit her on the floor up against the wall and measure from the floor to the top of her shoulders? I need that measurement in order to suggest some seats for her.

You will have way more than a year or two left in the seat she is in. If you have an inch before she's even with the harness slot she is using now, that is one year. The next harness position is a a couple inches above that, which is another (at least) 2 years before she's even with that slot (as long as her ears are still below the shell).

Do you have pictures of her in her current seat? That way I could see how she fits in relation to the harness slots and the top of the shell. Forward facing, the top of her head can go above the shell, but the top of her ears must still be below it.

Also, please take a look at this picture tutorial about using winter coats in the car seat. I see that you are aware that it is unsafe, but choose to do it anyway. This thread will give you some tips on how they can safely wear their winter coat in the car seat.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9108530&type=3
June 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when she wakes up ill get thows numbers for you and the pics you asked for

i will also take alot at the winter coat thing, i no it makes me sound like im doing something i no is unsafe but still doing it. i just dont think i saw how unsafe it is. i just thought it was one of the how is it that unsafe if everyone dose it type things. im learning and trying to tell others what i learn and this will be one of the things i learn and can tell other thank you for the info.

June 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
11 and a half inch. and here are soem pics of her front facing in her carseat right now she sits rear ( strapes are below the shoulders when she is rear) so i set it up front facing for the pic since the new carseat will be for front facing. unless i can find a rear to front facing that holds up to a big but wont be as heavy and much as buying another radion carseat.

heres a link to the carseat she is in now its the 2 years older model wish it was the newer one that turnes in to a booster Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL Car Seat - Eclipse | JustKidsStore

June 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
She has so much growing room in that car seat, it isn't anywhere near close to being outgrown, and definitely not in the next few years.

Are you sure 11.5 inches is correct? That is really short. What size shirts does she wear? The Radian has a top harness height of 17 inches, so if her torso length is really 11.5 inches, you have YEARS (I'd venture to guess at least 4-5) before it is outgrown.

Move those headwings all the way up for a second so you can see how tall that highest harness position is.

Because she seems so little, IMO, my suggestions for a secondary seat are the Evenflo Maestro, Evenflo Secure Kid or the Graco Nautilus. If you feel the need to splurge for a Britax Frontier 85, then go for it, but I don't think it is necessary at this time.
June 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
shes short in general like maby 33in, when i move the side things up dose the harness hight go up? i thought that the top slot stays no matter how high? in a chicco keyfit 30 her shoulders r like 1/4th of an inch above the highist strap. shes not in it anymore because well shes to tall and her head is at the top, dose that help give u a reference as to how she fits in straps

thank you for helping me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search