Help with car seat placement

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Super Mommy
Okay, I have a 2008 Kia Sedona. Currently, I have my 8 year old in a Graco Turbobooster in the back seat, my 6 year old DSD in a Cosco Pronto also in the back seat, and my 6 year old twins in Nautilus' in the middle bucket seats. We have a new baby due in February. The Kia has a narrow back seat, but getting a different vehicle is completely out of the question. My 8 year old will be 9 by the time this baby is born, so if I absolutely had to he would be okay without a booster seat. He is tall enough, but I don't feel like he weighs enough (about 55 lbs). I need to find out what the slimmest infant seat would be. I've always used the Graco Snugrides in the past, but I know they stick out pretty far on the side. I also need to figure out what the best boosters would be. I know the Nautilus' may not be the most practical since I don't want the baby in the back seat. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
June 17th, 2012, 08:53 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Sedona as well! I know over on car-seat.org, there is a 3 across thread and I have seen a few different configurations for 3 car seats in the 3rd row of that van, so there is hope that you can make it work

For narrow infant seats, I'd look at the Chicco Keyfit 30 and the Baby Trend Flex Lock. If you aren't putting the infant seat in the 3rd row, you probably won't have to worry about a narrow infant seat since the baby would go in a captains chair.

For narrow boosters for your twins, I'd look at the Graco Turbobooster (highback). Are you looking to put all three 6 year olds in the 3rd row, or do you want your twins and your 8 year old in the 3rd row? How often do you have your step-daughter? I only ask because I'm trying to think of what the best seating situation will be for your family. The bench in the 3rd row sits pretty low, once the baby arrives your older son might be able to pass the 5 step test in the 3rd row. If he does, you would put him in the middle of the 3rd row and your twins in the outboard positions (will probably make it easier to buckle). If there are times when you don't have your step-daughter, your older son could ride in the 2nd row captains c hair. I think trying to put three boosters in the 3rd row for all three 6 year olds might be tight when trying to buckle them. If they were harnessed, it might be easier, but they are at a age where they can ride safely in boosters too.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; June 17th, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
June 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
I have a Sedona as well! I know over on car-seat.org, there is a 3 across thread and I have seen a few different configurations for 3 car seats in the 3rd row of that van, so there is hope that you can make it work

For narrow infant seats, I'd look at the Chicco Keyfit 30 and the Baby Trend Flex Lock. If you aren't putting the infant seat in the 3rd row, you probably won't have to worry about a narrow infant seat since the baby would go in a captains chair.

For narrow boosters for your twins, I'd look at the Graco Turbobooster (highback). Are you looking to put all three 6 year olds in the 3rd row, or do you want your twins and your 8 year old in the 3rd row? How often do you have your step-daughter? I only ask because I'm trying to think of what the best seating situation will be for your family. The bench in the 3rd row sits pretty low, once the baby arrives your older son might be able to pass the 5 step test in the 3rd row. If he does, you would put him in the middle of the 3rd row and your twins in the outboard positions (will probably make it easier to buckle). If there are times when you don't have your step-daughter, your older son could ride in the 2nd row captains c hair. I think trying to put three boosters in the 3rd row for all three 6 year olds might be tight when trying to buckle them. If they were harnessed, it might be easier, but they are at a age where they can ride safely in boosters too.
Ok, this is what I am thinking right now: baby in captain chair behind driver (I want the Chicco Keyfit 30, but will have to see if budget allows it). 8 year old in captain chair on passenger side since he is the only one who can open the sliding door. then put all 3 of the 6 year olds in the back. We have my step-daughter all the time. However, if I need to put the 8 year old in the back, I would consider doing that. I would keep the twins in their nautilus' but that wouldn't leave any room for anyone else in the back. What is the 5 step test? We've had our 8 year old sit in the back seat without a booster for a very short drive before and it seemed like the seatbelt was where it was supposed to be. But I haven't let him go without it for any longer drives.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
June 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The 5 step test is a set of questions for you to answer about your child before moving them out of a booster seat. It is to see if they are truly ready to ride without one. Here is a link:
Boosters Are For Big Kids

My only concern with three 6 year old booster riders in the 3rd row is them being able to get buckled in. It is going to be close, they might need your help. Will you be able to get back there to help, or can your 8 year old help?
June 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Super Mommy
The more thought I have given it, the more I think the best set up would be to put 8 y/o in the middle of the back seat assuming he is big enough. He will be 9 by the time this baby is born so I'll just have to wait and see. I'm keeping him in a booster as long as I can. Then put 2 of the 6 y/o's back there with him. Put the baby behind the driver's seat, and a 6 y/o behind the passenger seat.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search