New here, but need to vent!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm new here, but I am having a really tough time tonight and need to get some car seat related crap off my chest. My apologies in advance!

My 8 mo. old nephew came today to spend a few nights. It would take me two nights to write about my SIL and while she is involved, he essentially lives with and is cared for by his Great Grandparents. (my husband's grandparents)

Vent opening!

Today the Great Grandmother drove him the 1 hr to our house on her way through for a visit with one of her other kids another couple hours away. Before leaving their house, SIL (who must have been there briefly) took a photo with her phone of the baby in his car seat 'ready to go' and posted it on facebook tagging my husband and myself in it. With the caption along the lines of 'Ready for a visit' yada yada It was a super cute photo and baby boy was adorable, but I am HORRIFIED by several things.
1. The shoulder straps of the 5 point harness are halfway down his arms! I'm not even kidding... there was nothing over his shoulders, Plus the chest clip was over his tummy! (I'd add the picture but I don't know how-I saved it and blurred his face so I could!)
2. He was forward facing!!!!!
3. The carseat was not anchored, just used the belt in a newer car (I may be mistaken about how to install them in different vehicles, but this time it was not very secure-moved easily back and front but also side to side!-I checked when they arrived) I thought the idea was to anchor them in new vehicles (because they all have the hooks) and with seatbelts in older cars because they locked not like in new ones!

I do not know a whole lot other than the basics of car seat safety (I'm hoping I'll learn lots here!!!) but I was SOOO pissed about this.

When they arrived sure enough the picture was accurate, and he had never been adjusted and was still slouched in a loose careseat!

I didn't say anything because EVERYTHING I say comes back at me as 'just interfering' and is ignored. (they don't take criticism well!) so I asked DH to look at the picture as well. Immediately he got angry and has promised to talk with them when they come to pick baby boy up!

We went to install the carseat in my car as we are going out tomorrow and it took the two of us FOREVER (jokingly I can see why they don't bother what a pain in the ***!). We had to 're thread' the whole thing, plus figure out how to recline it so we could switch it rear facing again etc. in addition to installing it. (we don't have our own kids yet.... this became very apparent and we were both in the back of my small car swearing up a storm fighting with this thing!)

I am very happy with the end result and feel like at least I know he'll be safely buckled in when with us. But I hope when DH talks to his family they listen. I don't even fault the Great Grandparents.... when they raised kids the last time there were no carseats! But SIL is a complete moron IMO. And there is never any excuse for anyone driving with a baby to be so ignorant, and negligent!

There isn't anyone I can talk to about this, so it feels so good to get it off my chest! Thanks

Vent Closing!
July 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Maybe have DH suggest a tech to check the seat for them. (A good tech will teach them how to do it.) Also, at 8 months old, I'd make sure they know it is ILLEGAL for him to be ffing. Law is 1 and 20 but make sure they also know best practice is RFing until at least 2.

You do not have to use the lower anchors in any car. It's that OR the seatbelt (but seatbelt must be locked in some way). However if kiddo is FFing, top tether MUST be used if available. This is for seatbelt installs too.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
July 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I am feeling much better about it today, knowing the DH will be speaking with them, and I keep giving him more information to use. I think I was also stressed out (his family has that effect on me!) We all live very rurally (where would one find a tech?) and in 2 different provinces, so regs may be different (I'm looking for updated ones now!)

Re: the seatbelt. I know it wasn't locked in her car because I slid the seat almost across the whole bench when unanchoring it (before unbuckling it). And when we tried installing it in my car we couldn't get the belt to lock, (which would have saved us a TON of work) so we just did it the other way instead!
July 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Check here for a tech: Looking for a Technician near you? Click HERE! - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

My other link is US...but if you can't find one there car-seat.org could probably give you a link to find one.

What year is your car?

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
July 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!

My car is a 2008. I couldn't get the seatbelts to lock the way you can in older vehicles... if you jerked it forward it would stay and then release again, so we anchored it. I know in the great grandparent's car the seat was not locked into place at all because of how it moved when I was taking it out. Is there some sort of device that you need to buy to make it stay locked? I am hoping that after DH speaks with them she will let us install it (now that we have a better idea what we are doing) and we'll just anchor it in there as well. I don't trust her to do it on her own anyways because she has arthritis so bad in her fingers that she couldn't even un buckle him when they arrived!
July 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM
2008, you probably have a switchable retractor. Pull the seat belt all the way out and let it slowly go back in. Being a 2008, it has to lock in some way. Your vehicle manual will also explain how to lock the belt, look under "child restraint"

July 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I went through the same thing with my SIL. She posted a pic on FB of him sleeping during a car ride and his straps were so ridiculously loose that he was all hunched over! We don't see eye to eye on much. so I usually try to keep my opinions to myself, but this was not a matter of opinion! this was a matter of life and death! So I tried (gently) pointing out that the straps needed to be adjusted.. yeah, that didn't go over well. In the end, both DH and I had lengthy post written out about how important proper installation, and strap positioning is. DH is a paramedic and sees far too many car seats on the side of the rode after they've been ejected from the car due to poor installation, or worse, the baby gets ejected and the seat is still in the car because the straps were too loose and chest clip too low. I makes my blood boil to think about!! Anyway, sorry to go off on my own little venting session I hope your SIL is receptive to your DH!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search