How to handle when DD asks to turn around?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
DD is over 3yo and still rfing. All of her friends except one is ffing (and the last one is going to be turned around in a few weeks). She keeps asking about sitting forward. Also, she cries and screams in the car almost every time we go in the car. Part of me wonders if she would enjoy the ride more if she was ffing, but then my safety side wants to keep rfing until she outgrows the seat limits, though that may easily be another year. She is only 27lbs and the seat is a Recaro and goes rfing to 35lbs. Not sure why i am posting this. Just been a big topic of discussion lately and of course everyone except DH makes fun of me for keeping her rfing I explain that it is safest, but i feel like it is a losing battle.

September 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having a similar discussion with DH about DD1 in his car - it's a tiny Ford Fiesta and while she was easily RFing in a Coccoro when it was just her now we have two small children and I have tried and tried but I cannot get two RFing seats in there without DH being squashed to the dash. DD1 is 2 1/4 years, I feel she's just too young for FFing! So I avoid taking the car. And DH is rolling his eyes at me now when I refuse to take the car somewhere. Ugh.

FWIW I think at 3 I'd be okay... then again, I say that now and will probably change my mind when she gets to 3. I'm sorry Zoe is having a hard time in the car.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm comfortable with FFing at 3 for most kids. My DD outgrew her RFing seat by height & weight a couple months after she turned 3. I put her FFing in a Britax Frontier 85 (where she still rides). Three years is awesome for RFing, great job! 27 lbs is still small, IMO, so I'd try to keep her RFing bit longer (30, perhaps?). Maybe tell her that when she gets a little bit bigger she can FF. Show her the scale, tell her what number that will be.
September 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
she will never be 30lbs at this pace, and our seat RF's until 35 She was 24.5lbs at 2yo and now 27lbs at 3 years 4 months.
My main issue is she hollers bloody murder every time we are in the car more than 5-10 minutes and we live in a kinda rural area, so most things take a good car ride to get to. Not sure turning her around would help or not.

I would like to keep her RFing for a long time, but car rides are becoming so dreadful for me and no one i know is helpful because they all think i am the silly one for still RFing I was thinking i could turn her and see if she stops screaming, but then she would never turn back, so that plan is probably not a good one.

September 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
It won't be the worst thing if you turn her around. Don't stress yourself out about it, she is 3 (almost 3.5) and you've done a great job keeping her RFing this long.
September 18th, 2012, 08:48 AM
yeah i think my DH and I need to discuss if we are ready to turn her around. I am not sure we are, knowing that RFing is safest, but i just cannot take the screaming anymore Though not sure it would fix things, ugh. Parenting is tough

September 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM
so i decided NOT to turn her around, but today noticed that she may be close to the height limit on the seat and will measure her later and decide! LOL

September 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
so i decided NOT to turn her around, but today noticed that she may be close to the height limit on the seat and will measure her later and decide! LOL
Here is a good guide to help you measure, since you shouldn't measure her overall height, but rather how much room she has above her head.
Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums - View Single Post - How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown
September 23rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
yep she is pretty close to an inch! LOL. go figure after all that! will turn her around today probably. She is THRILLED, me, not so much

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search