Radian RXT vs Britax blvd/adv EFR

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By amylynne01

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi, I am wanting to keep my son RF for a while, he just turned 1 and is about 30 inches tall, and seems to have a longer torso (I have not measured it yet) so here is the dilemma.....

Britax - I love the side walls being deep, and may go for the advocate for the side cushion on the outside, but I am just not sure how much it helps, and it makes the seat very big. My son is tall and Britax does have a shorter shell, so I measured and it looks like he would have about 5 inches to grow to the 1 inch rule. I really want him to RF until at least 3.

Radian - I know that this seat will be great for ERF, but I am concerned about the side wall being a little shallow. I also have read that the seat doesn't really booster that well so I don't plan to use it for that.

I am not worried about the cost of a booster later on, but I really don't want to have to go through two convertibles for ERF.

I am stuck..... Any thoughts please, I need a new seat like yesterday!! Thanks.
September 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Radian does have some compatibility issues sometimes, so you'd need to make sure it can be installed properly in your vehicle. I'd go for the Radian over a Britax convertible any day. It will last much longer, both rear and forward facing. All 5 point harness seats give side impact protection. There are no standards for SIP, so we can't tell you what seats provide better SIP than others. Britax's use of their phrase "True Side Impact Protection" is just a marketing gimmick.

If you do end up going with a Britax convertible, I would skip the Advocate. It just isn't necessary. I'd go with either the Roundabout 55, or the Boulevard/Pavilion.
September 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much! We are going to the store to try the Radian out in the car. I don't know why this is so hard for me! I used to work in the PICU as a nurse, so I think that has something to do with it. Also having a tall child. I was thinking about getting a safety first complete air for my Moms car any thoughts on that seat?
September 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam99b View Post
Thanks so much! We are going to the store to try the Radian out in the car. I don't know why this is so hard for me! I used to work in the PICU as a nurse, so I think that has something to do with it. Also having a tall child. I was thinking about getting a safety first complete air for my Moms car any thoughts on that seat?
The Complete Air is a good seat, but the company stands firmly by their 40 inch limit on rear facing (despite the insane amount of room the child would still have above their head) and their complete recline (45 degree angle) for rear facing. Most other manufacturers allow a rear facing seat to be installed more upright once a child is able to sit on his/her own. I would still pick a Radian over the Complete Air, if money is not an issue.
September 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Okay, so I didn't get to try it in the car, baby melt down at the store. I am just going to order it with the angle adjuster and pray that it fits!!! The complete air totally did not install correctly in my moms car so back to the store it is going. I may just need to go with the Britax Blvd for both cars for size, and hopefully he won't outgrow the shell to quickly.
September 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
I did convince my husband that we may just need to spend the money on two Radians (if they fit) after showing him the install situation with the complete air. It would have fit, but the passenger front seat was all the way up, and the seat seemed like it was practically laying down. I wish I would have been here to read your post earlier, after hearing the 40in limit I would have not had to waste my time. Then again at least my husband could see that the seat didn't fit well. What kind of car do you have your Radian in?
September 24th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I don't have a Radian, sorry. My 4 year old rides in a Britax Frontier 85, and my 7 year old rides in a Britax Parkway SGL. My 4 year old stayed rear facing in a Graco My Ride 65 until she was 3 years and 2 months old, at that point she outgrew the seat by height and weight, so she went forward facing.
September 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I have 2 Radians in my Mazda CX9. Before that, they were in a Ford Edge, Ford Expedition, Toyota Camry, and maybe a couple others. We have gone through too many cars lol.

In your case, I'd go with a Radian only because it will last longer RFing. It is a super solid seat! Also buy the angle adjuster to get it more upright. Using the adjuster, it easily fit in my Camry without touching the front seat.
September 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
This is great news!!! I did order the angle adjuster from amazon. My son is just a week over 1 so I should be able to use it no problem. I can't wait to get it. I am really hoping all of the crazy research I am doing is going to work out. For some reason I still feel like I am not putting my kid in the best because it is not a Britax.... I think it is because most of my friends use Britax, but they also forward face.
October 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had a britax (in my grandma's car) and I bought the radian for my car and so much prefer the radian. It is so solid and ahhh I love the seat. Seriously. The britax is a good seat, but the radian is better IMO.

October 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam99b View Post
For some reason I still feel like I am not putting my kid in the best because it is not a Britax.... I think it is because most of my friends use Britax, but they also forward face.
Here's the important thing for you to remember: You are putting your child in a car seat that is appropriate for his age, weight, and height as well as appropriate for your situation and vehicles. You are concerned about keeping him as safe as possible by RFing to the limits and harnessing until developmentally ready to booster. That means you are putting your kid in the best because you are doing everything to protect him. "Best" does not equal Britax. "Best" equals knowledge and best practices.
::er!ca:: and BeachMum like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search