Radian R100 vs RXT

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. Thank you again, by the way, for the suggestion to buy a Radian for my daughter in order to possibly fit 3 car seats across because I think this will be a great fit for us.
So, I've settled on replacing her MyRide with a Radian and I'm trying to figure out which one to buy. The R100 at less than $200 is obviously the most appealing price-wise and I think it will be perfect for her as she is very slender (she is 36" tall and 26 lbs at 2 1/2). My question is the comfort - has anyone shopped these two car seats side by side? I saw in the review that the RXT has memory foam padding for added comfort which sounds very nice but does the R100 have it too or something comparable?
Thanks so much for any input!
October 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The R100 is the basic model, the RXT has more bells & whistles. The R100 won't be uncomfortable, and if it is in your price range you should go with it. I, personally, prefer seats with headwings. If I were purchasing a Radian, I would get the RXT for that reason alone.
October 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your response! What are the benefits of the head wings? Also, are both the seats the same width? Thanks!
October 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
All of the Radian models are exactly the same size. The RXT has the headwings which makes it a little wider at the top but can still easily fit in a 3 across situation. I am currently using a Radian 65 (now called the R100) and a Radian XTSL (now called the RXT) with my son's infant seat across my back seat.

The head wings are thought to improve side impact protection for FFing kiddos. RFing kiddos are already super safe, so the head wings are not as important there. However, also know that there is no research or standards for head wings and side impact protection, so everything we say here about them is opinion. It's up to you to decide if you see the head wings as important or something you can live without. Having a FFing seat without head wings is certainly not unsafe, but we cannot say definitively that a seat with head wings is safER, KWIM?
October 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
All of the Radian models are exactly the same size. The RXT has the headwings which makes it a little wider at the top but can still easily fit in a 3 across situation. I am currently using a Radian 65 (now called the R100) and a Radian XTSL (now called the RXT) with my son's infant seat across my back seat.

The head wings are thought to improve side impact protection for FFing kiddos. RFing kiddos are already super safe, so the head wings are not as important there. However, also know that there is no research or standards for head wings and side impact protection, so everything we say here about them is opinion. It's up to you to decide if you see the head wings as important or something you can live without. Having a FFing seat without head wings is certainly not unsafe, but we cannot say definitively that a seat with head wings is safER, KWIM?
I think I understand, thanks for the clarification. Since you have both the R100 and the RXT, how do they compare as far as padding and comfort? Occasionally, we take long car rides and I want to make sure that the seat is comfortable, esp since it will hopefully be the last seat we buy for her.
October 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hate the headwings with a passion. I would go with the R120. My headwings have been nothing but a PITA. You can't use them until the child is on the third slot AND the headwings are level with the child's jaw. Which isn't always at the same time. So I would have to keep checking if my son grew into them. They slipped down but were near impossible to pull back up. The XTSL (older version of the RXT) was the single most frustrating car seat ever!

October 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have seven radians now and my four big kids all hate the headwings of my first two rxt's, no complaints of comfort from one to the other and the kids are 3-6y
October 11th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
I think I understand, thanks for the clarification. Since you have both the R100 and the RXT, how do they compare as far as padding and comfort? Occasionally, we take long car rides and I want to make sure that the seat is comfortable, esp since it will hopefully be the last seat we buy for her.
The padding and comfort is almost the same between the two. The only difference is that the head wings can offer some support when DD1 falls asleep. But if they're used RFing, the head wings don't matter because the recline allows the head to fall a bit more naturally. Otherwise, neither one complains about the seats and easily fall asleep (as seen in exhibit A).

DD2 on the left in a Radian 65 (R100) and DD1 on the right in a Radian XTSL (RST).

The R100 or RXT will NOT be the last seat you ever buy. While they're marketed as 3-in-1, the booster portion is pretty limited. You can't use it until the kid hits 50lbs, and it is outgrown by height at the pretty much the same time as FFing, making it kind of useless. I think of the Radians as a convertible for that reason. Not trying to sway your decision because I think highly of Radians, but I don't want you to think it's the last seat. Somewhere around 6 yrs old, you'll need a high back booster which run $50-$100, and if you buy one that converts to a backless booster, that will be your last seat for her.
October 11th, 2012, 04:52 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was considering the Radian R120 or RXT but then read some not so great things about them changing their name from SunshineKids to Diono becaue Latch problems and the seat becoming very loose. Does anyone know anything about this??

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

October 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM
The LATCH problems were there before the SK to Diono switch, but as far as I know, they've been remedied. Or you can install it with a seat belt, and then there's no issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search