I think I'm gonna need a new car seat

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
So my 3 year old is currently in the cosco alpha omega 3 in 1 seat and I feel that she is too big for it. I really really don't want to take her out of the 5 point harness but I think (need to pull it out of my car) the next slot up is the booster slot and I dunno. A 3 year old in a lap belt just doesn't seem safe to me. Are there car seats out there that last longer and if not what is the best high back booster out there???

November 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
No three year old should be in a booster. They lack the maturity and impulse control to sit properly 100% of the time. That maturity comes between age 5 and 6, so she has another 2-3 yrs of harnessing. You are looking for a combination seat - a seat that FFs and turns into a booster. Here are some great choices.

Graco Nautilus or Argos
Evenflo Maestro
Recaro ProSport
Britax Frontier 85

She may have already outgrown the seat. If any one of these three is true, she's outgrown it.
- she hits 40lbs
- her shoulders are over the highest usuable slot for FFing
- her ears are over the shell of the seat

Most kids outgrow this seat by height by 3ish. If she's outgrown it, she cannot ride in it again because it is no longer safe, and you need a new seat ASAP. What other seats do you own?
November 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't own any other seats since she is our oldest so that's what we got. Her ears are not above the shell of the seat so I still have time to research. I am very confused though. On your list of seats you gave me 3 are 200 (not happening with our budget) and the last one is only 75..... that just seems off to me. But anyway.
Thank you for the info.

November 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
You didn't give a budget in the OP, so I gave lots of suggestions. The Nautilus is usually $125 on Amazon, and the Argos is a fancy Nautilus. It will last you until she's 8-9, so that is a great investment. Then you'd need a $15 no back booster, and that's the last seat she'll need. If your DD is on the small side, a Maestro would suffice. If she's on the larger side, a Frontier might be necessary. If she's average, the Nautilus is a great choice.

What is your baby riding in? I was thinking that switching their seats might be a possibility depending on what you have. What is your 3 yr old's height and weight?
November 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Baby is also in an alpha omega rear facing since she is only 11 months and will stay that way until 2 and then stay in that seat forward facing until we face this same problem. Yeah we bought the cosco ones because they were only 100 and that is about where I want to stay. I like that 75 dollar one because I personally want to keep her in a 5 point until 4 and then move to the high back booster. Thanks for the info.

November 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Forgot one other seat - the Evenflo Secure Kid 300/400.

Is there any way to get you to harness her at least another year? Boostering is about size, but it's more about maturity. Most kids lack the maturity to ride properly in a booster until age 5-6. I'm not saying your kid is immature, just that ALL 4 yr olds are immature. My older DD will be harnessed until at least next summer when she's 5.5 because she is not ready to sit properly in a booster. Just yesterday, she dropped her sunglasses while I was driving, and she did everything in her power to reach them from her harness. That means she's not ready for a seat belt that will allow her to bend over and go out of position.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search