Can someone look at this please

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We tried out a few seats at buy buy baby today. The B-safe was the only thing that fit side by side width wise. But I'm not sure about the overhang and the way the outboard seat angles up a little due to the edge of the seat being slightly up higher.

Second the two radians. They are in there solid but they are very upright to me. Not what I was expecting from radians. In the picture the outboard one isn't fully installed yet, it was just sitting there buckled. We forgot to take a picture after installing since at first I was most concerned with the center install.

After looking at the pictures the outboard b-safe isn't angled up as much as it looks in the picture it looks a lot higher than the other side because of the seats being a slight bucket seat but it was really just a very slight lean upwards. You can see how the outboard Radian also sits slightly lower than the center but the outboard radian fit inbetween the belt stalk and the part of the seat that curves up on the outboard side so it doesn't lean.
December 16th, 2012, 09:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Just making sure...did you have the RFing boot on the Radian? They look too upright to me for newborns, but it is hard to tell from a picture.

Our twins were 6.2 and 5.10 when we brought them home, and they needed the lowest harness slot on their Snugrides, which is at 7". The Radian's lowest harness slot is 9", and according to this info, that is likely not going to be low enough.

http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/L...A%3D&tabid=145

It does, however list the B-Safe as a good seat for smaller babies.

**I'm not a car seat tech, so hopefully someone who is can jump in and add to this or correct me if I'm wrong. **

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; December 17th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
December 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup the boot was on. We took it out double checked we had it on right and then did it again and same thing.

I wasn't planning on using Radians in my until about 7/8 months. I plan on using the B-safes before that.

DH however will probably need Radians in his car or truck if we do get one. We will use my car over the summer so they would probably need to be riding in those in his car around 3/4 months old. We didn't try them in his car yet so I hope they are a little more reclined.
December 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For newborns, the seat has to be at a 45 degree recline. You can get a free angle app on any smart phone. If you go over to the FB group called Car Seats for the Littles. They can help out a ton.

December 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Oops, the link didn't show up last time...I fixed it.

I think you have a good plan, then! We are also purchasing Radians for our twins (our toddler already has one) so the kids can do 3-across in DH's SUV. I figure we'll buy them this spring sometime, because it isn't necessary to use his vehicle unless we're going off-roading or need 4-wheel drive.

By the way, Albeebaby.com has the B-safes for much cheaper than Buy Buy Baby, and their prices on Radians are the best I have seen for a while

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. I'm really hoping the B-Safes work. I'm worried about the overhang all I can find is that 80% needs to be on the seat but what is 80% and is it 80% of what touches the seat because the part that is overhanging doesn't rest directly on the seat. I was just so excited about getting something at the right angle and side by side that I didn't read that part of the manual. The Keyfits did fit side by side but it wasn't as easy. I just couldn't get a correct angle on one of them. I think it was outboard. It wasn't worked at all no matter how we tried it but I'm sure someone has come up with a way to make it work.

The B-safes are tight but only because of the huge britax thing on the side of the handles. If those weren't there it would have been perfect.
December 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What vehicle is this? The Radians are pretty upright, but once you get to 8ish months, your front passengers will prefer that! Are the B-safes independently installed and tight? Like if you take out the middle one, the outboard one is still installed correctly, and vice versa. If they are, it looks good!

This is purely my own preference, but I would see if you can install the outboard Radian with LATCH just so the belt isn't in the way.
December 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats a good idea with the outboard radian. I'm pretty sure there was enough room there to make that work.

Both the b-safes were tight we did them both independent and then together and there was enough room between the actual bases that it was easy to make sure the base was tight with both of them in. I think I could even fix the outer one angling up if I pulled the center one closer to the other side. The only thing preventing that is my fixed belt stalks but I think I had a little more room there and there was a good two inches before the edge of the 60 part of the seat.

This is in a Buick Enclave
December 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Your back seat is so spacious - it's awesome! I tried a booster in my 3 across recently because my oldest will be 5 Saturday and will be ready for booster training in the summer. Yeah, not happening. There is no room to buckle her in. So she is staying in her Radian as long as she fits!
December 19th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is spacious but it can be a pain with car seats. Its just tricky finding things that fit side by side I could do other seats that aren't the same but for I didn't feel like that was an option for the carriers because the b-safes don't fit on a double snap and go. And as far as boosters go everything except for the parkway is so hard to buckle due to the fixed belt stalks. britax seats seem to work the best in my car.
December 19th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Regular
did u try the britax chaperone? i've heard it has really good safety ratings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search