Choosing a car seat causing mental anguish!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amylynne01

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Alright. I've posted a few times looking for help, but nothing really seems to do the trick.
I'm stressed!

As a review, here's my situation: My parents have offered to purchase us a car seat for our first baby (due in May). I have done hours and hours of research, and can not come to a decision. I officially HATE carseats! I believe that ERF is safest and plan to do this. I know all about carseat safety, and what a properly installed seat/baby look like. I have plenty of hands on experience and book smarts on the topic, yet I feel totally frustrated

I am really annoyed by infant seats, so my original plan was to skip it all together and go straight for a convertible seat. I want to RF my child as long as possible, but we have a family history of oddly tall babies, so I really am looking for the max height in a seat. That said, I don't know if there even is a seat I could get the proper recline for a newborn in my car (if there was a specific seat that matched the other criteria (height/weight limits) that was naturally reclined that would be the best to at least try out in my car)

What I'm thinking is that I may have to just suck up my strong distaste for infant seats (would likely be left in my car most of the time) and choose one, and replace it within the year for a convertible that doesn't have to recline quite as much. The ONLY benefit is if we have a second child within a few years of this one, we can use the infant seat while older sibling is in a convertible (especially if they are little over the colder months- Sept to April, here)

So then I'm stuck with what infant seat to choose. It would have to be really light weight (biggest frustration with infant seats) and fairly easy to install. I also prefer if it ranks low on toxicity levels (HealthyStuff.org | Children's Products), but nothing really fits the bill. It also has to be comfy as we are a minimum of 1 hour (usually closer to 3 hrs) from anything/anywhere we want to go. There will be a lot of time spent in said seat.

I wish this could just be easier, but I am completely stressed by it. No matter what seat I look at I think, this can't be the best that's out there... I'm at the point I need someone to tell me what to get and I'll just do that and leave well enough alone!
Am I really the only person that has major carseat anxiety? HELP!

December 28th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are skipping the infant seat. When our tax return comes in we are buying a My Size 70 from babiesrus. We have one for Peter and I love it. It is great for ERFing, as it is the longest ERFing seat for height. The only issue is that it doesn't fit all newborns well. So we will try it (expecting a big baby) and if neede I will send DH out for a cheap infant seat until he grows into the MS70. I really doubt we will need it though.

Here is the carseatblog.com reveiw of the Size4Me (the mysize 70 is the same seat as the s4m, it's just BRUs special name for it, to avoid price matching)

Graco Size4Me 70 Convertible Carseat Review

As for the chemical factor, you are not really going to find an "organic seat" all car seats come coated in a flame retardant film.... I don't really like it, but it is what it is....

Also the Combi Coccoro is amazing and fits in almost any car. It can be tethered RFing. It is however pretty much an infant seat in the sense that it gets outgrown RFing long before a child should use it to FF. My son outgrew it at 14 months (He outgrew the snugride 22 at 4 months) so if you consider it to be a big infant seat, it will work well. It is super duper comfy and has beautiful colours!

Last edited by stargatemommy; December 28th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
December 28th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's ok there's so many things out there. What I recomend as I'm a carseat nut and took classes and what not I think for a erf and I will do same a my ride will last a long time also the true fits by first years last forever and a radian tho thos are expensive I personally would get a my ride they are not bad priced and sell all over. Fell free to pm me if you have any questions
December 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Your post made me smile...mostly because it sounded like something I would write. I spent the longest time trying to find "THE" seat...the one that would work forever, in every vehicle, and I'd never wish for anything else. Well, sorry to say it hasn't happened for me yet I'll keep trying

What do you drive that is so difficult to fit a seat into? Maybe with that info people could provide more info.

I can't tell you what to do...each person's situation is specific and everyone's needs are different. I ended up with Graco Snugride infant seats for all 3 babies. I thought it was a waste with my singleton and moved her to a convertible at 4 months, but for preemie twins they were absolutely the best option.

For convertibles, my favorite is the Diono Radian RXT. We have the older version (Sunshine Kids Radian) for our oldest, and I plan to buy them for the twins as well. The seat has a low profile so getting kids in and out is a breeze. It converts to a booster, so it really will last forever. It is solid as a rock, and I love the headwings for head support. There's really nothing I don't like about the seat, especially with the new angle adjuster.

I also have a True Fit, and it is great as well. It is super easy to use and adjust, and Claire has always been comfy in it. The only negative for me is that it is definitely not the last seat we will need since it doesn't convert to a booster, and it is really wide, so 3-across is not an option.

I don't know if I helped at all, but just know that you aren't alone in being overwhelmed

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 28th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all!

I drive a 2008 4door honda civic. Dh has a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext. cab. I am wanting the Diono Radian RXT, because it's so tall in order to get a newborn in it I think I'd lose my whole front seat.

I'm being a big suck about the whole thing, I was looking at the Chicco Keyfit 30... the only really negative review was about some kids reacting to the chemicals in the fabric, but some colours rated low for toxicity levels.

In the end I'm just gonna have to put on my big girl panties and buy a freaking car seat... I just wish I could have the magical carseat fairies fix this problem for me!

December 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
For convertibles, my favorite is the Diono Radian RXT. We have the older version (Sunshine Kids Radian) for our oldest, and I plan to buy them for the twins as well. The seat has a low profile so getting kids in and out is a breeze. It converts to a booster, so it really will last forever. It is solid as a rock, and I love the headwings for head support. There's really nothing I don't like about the seat, especially with the new angle adjuster.
Just a note about the booster part. It has a 50lb minimum. And it is non-adjustable, meaning it is outgrown at exactly the same time as a child outgrows the harness part of the seat. So while it technically becomes a booster, practically it doesn't work at all.

OP, honestly, there is no ONE seat that will do everything you're looking for. The longest ERFing seats are the Graco MySize70/Size4Me70, Clek Foonf, and Diono Radians, followed by lots of other seats. The MySize does not fit newborns. The Foonf has a rule about using it after 6 months or something like that (i.e.. does not work for newborns). The Radians take up a ton of space for a newborn recline. So what can you give on? Can you get a different convertible to use from birth with the intention of getting one of the three I mentioned? Good seats from birth are Combi Cocorro, First Years True Fit, Graco MyRide, Cosco Scenera, and Britax new generation seats with the separate infant wedge. If your kiddo is tall but lightweight, the True Fit could very well last until age 4.

Think about what's going to work for you for the next 2 yrs. Your needs will change, so get something that will work for the foreseeable future.
.:fearless:. likes this.
December 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
Just a note about the booster part. It has a 50lb minimum. And it is non-adjustable, meaning it is outgrown at exactly the same time as a child outgrows the harness part of the seat. So while it technically becomes a booster, practically it doesn't work at all.
I did not realize that! Thanks for the info...I guess we'll be buying more seats after all I'll still get Radians for the twins, though, so we can do 3-across in DH's SUV and for ERF.

Melissa & DH

December 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
My true fit is good since it fits newborns and has the removable headrest until 22lbs, so it will take up less space than many convertibles at a newborn recline. the downside is the rf weight is max 35lbs and many seats are higher now. lots of kids will be able to rf until close to 3 with that limit though.

I have no experience with this seat, but look up the maxi cosi pria. it has a newborn/infant insert to make it more reclined without reclining the whole huge seat.

December 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The true fit often doesn't fit newborns well because the harness is kind of wide. The Pria is great for newborns, but since it a Dorel seat, it has a 40 inch standing height limit, which is silly, because some 40 inch kids have super long legs, but has torsos that fit just fine in the seat. Come to think of it, I think the true fit has a 40 inch standing height limit too.... I am not sure. I have seen a few newborns fit well in the size4me. Including a preemie doll with a 6.75 inch torso.....

The more you know about car seats, the more frustrating it becomes to choose the right one. No car seat is perfect though, so just choose the ones whose imperfections are the least annoying to you.

December 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM
The True Fit is fine for newborns. Highly recommended on cs.org. It does not have the 40" limit because it is not a Dorel seat.

I was wrong earlier about the Size 4 Me. It fits newborns decently but not as well as say a Cocorro or the Pria. If you have an average size newborn, should be a good fit.
January 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
crunchy, the radian is so narrow it should fit right between your two front seats. Install it in the center with the seat belt.
January 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whoa! I just saw the True Fit... so let me get this right... it's a convertible that has a removable top, so that at an infant recline you still have perfect use of your front seats? And has top ratings for 'ease of use'.... and in a few years baby #2 comes along, we bump #1 to a Diono (which I want anyways) and use the truefit for the 2nd baby!...... I might see if I can borrow a newborn and go to a store (kidding... kinda) but I'll take a look for fit and then make a final decision...

How did I miss this with all the research I was doing. holy moly! I honestly think the brand name wasn't marketed as well because I have been looking at the REALLY common ERF names and missed this completely. serves me right!

January 4th, 2013, 04:59 AM
The True Fit is my "wish-I-had-a-squishy-newborn-because-I-drool-over-it" seat. The headrest is genius! It might actually last to age 3-4 RFing if your kiddo is tall and skinny.
January 4th, 2013, 05:03 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I think the earliest we put DD in the True Fit was around 6 weeks, but at that point we had to take OUT some padding so I think it would have fit her from birth just fine.

I'm still deciding if I want to get an infant seat for this kiddo (we rarely carried it around for DD, but with an older one I don't know if it would be more convenient), or use the True Fit in one car and get a Cocorro in the other car.

A google images search for "newborn in True Fit" brings up pics from this thread at car-seat.org - True Fit Premier - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

January 4th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't try the twins in the True Fit when I brought them home, but I'm pretty sure they would have fit well. Claire (2.5, 28 pounds, not sure of height) has lots of RFing room still.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it is really hard to adjust the harness in some cars because of where the little lever is. In our SUVs it is really difficult and makes me say a lot of 4-letter words In my van, though, it is much easier. It must be the angle of the seat that it is installed on?

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search