I heard a couple new ones today!!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rancherandcitygal

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM
So I was talking to my neighbor (she is a charge nurse on the labor and delivery floor of your hospital) about my nephew (23 months, 24 pounds, 30 inches tall) and here was our convo:
Her: " you don't have him rear facing do you??
Me: "yes, and he will stay that way till he reaches 30lbs thats the new law here."
Her: "He's too big to rearface!!"
Me: "how so? He's only 24lbs."
Her: "His legs are too long, if he has his legs bent, he will get hurt."
Me: "That's a common mistake, his legs are fine he crosses them most of the time. its not a safety thing at all."
Her: "with his legs bent in a crash his bones will be shoved up his body and into his internal organs."

I was speechless!! I've NEVER heard that before!!! I also told her about in a FF seat all the impact is in his neck and his neck will snap killing him almost instantly (broken legs cast it, broken neck casket). and she said even in a RF seat they can get whiplash!! is that true??
December 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How can a charge nurce be so moronic! Kids in Sweden rf until 5 and there safe no his legs won't go into his chest they may break but I agree I much rather my child has a few broken bones then be killed becouse there neck snapped! She needs to do her resurch
December 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
well idk, my mom is a nurse too and its her car so he is now FF
December 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son is 29 pounds and 35.5 inches and rear faces just fine.

January 3rd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure it is possible for a Rear Facing child to suffer injuries in a car crash... they may even die if the accident is bad enough! That doesn't mean you don't do what is safEST! Honestly if someone wanted to drive my child in their car FF I would simply say no. I'd offer to instal my seat in their car RF for them, it may be their car, but it's your child!

ERF is still a 'newer' trend here, and people just don't get it. All you can do is hope that she learned from your conversation, and never from a friend or close family member being killed or seriously injured in a FF seat, that could have possibly been prevented from RF.

January 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I'm sure it is possible for a Rear Facing child to suffer injuries in a car crash... they may even die if the accident is bad enough! That doesn't mean you don't do what is safEST! Honestly if someone wanted to drive my child in their car FF I would simply say no. I'd offer to instal my seat in their car RF for them, it may be their car, but it's your child!

ERF is still a 'newer' trend here, and people just don't get it. All you can do is hope that she learned from your conversation, and never from a friend or close family member being killed or seriously injured in a FF seat, that could have possibly been prevented from RF.
OH hes not my kid!!! hes my nephew lol he has been FF in with his mom since he was 11 months. he is now 23 months he will be 2 on the 19th so that is where my mom is coming from saying he can be FF now. i told her at least age 2 and she says hes close enough which is true.
January 6th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh.... in that case there isn't much you can do... unfortunately. Once you've said something it's up to his guardians to make decisions for him even if we as Aunties don't agree.

You have NO IDEA how many times I've talked with my nephew's mom about the situation pictured below. He is currently 15 months old. and has been FF since 10mo. (against the law here until he was walking independently, which started only about a week ago). This shouldn't even need to be said... shoulder straps go on the shoulder... not to mention the chest clip etc. I have talked to her until I'm blue in the face. You just can't help stupid.

January 13th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
The above pictures just piss me off!!!!! That kid could be in the next state if she has an accident!
crunchywannabe likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search