Thank you so much!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 03:09 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Several years ago I posted on this board seeking advice for carseats and learned a lot about RFing, proper installs, safest positions in the car, etc. Yesterday I was involved in a 4 car accident. It was very bad. The front end of my car was crushed, airbags deployed, and rescue personnel would have had to cut me out except I slithered out a window in a mad panic to get to my 9 month old baby who was in the car at the time. She was rear facing in a top-rated seat that was properly installed at the appropriate angle with properly secured harness straps and chest clip. And she was fine. Not one single bump, scratch, bruise, or anything. She isn't sore today (though Mama is feeling pretty rough) and stopped crying as soon as I pulled her out of the car - in no pain whatsoever. Thank you ladies for devoting your time to this board. You save lives

In other new, I am aware that both car seats that were in the car must be replaced immediately. I want one for the infant that will be suitable for ERF'ing but I need to eventually fit 3 across in the backseat. Unfortunately Radians stick too far into the front seat when RFing and don't allow enough leg room for me to operate the pedals.

Any suggestions?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
January 4th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad to hear baby was ok! I hope you feel better too! Way to use your seat properly. I'm very passionate about this, all the time I'm still learning as I go.

I have recently posted about my struggles to find a good seat, and although I can't answer re. 3 across, I have settled on buying The First Years True Fit seat with the removable head rest. It'll stay in the car, but will have the proper recline for an infant without losing my front seat. As well as with the headrest attached can RF to 35lbs (not the max on the market, but by that point I may move baby #1 into a Diono if we have #2 around that time) because they won't need such a sharp recline.

Hope that helps, and be sure to stretch lots and possibly see a physiotherapist to help with any aches and pains from the accident!

January 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Did you use the angle adjuster with the Radian? What vehicle will the seats be installed in? What are the ages, heights, and weights of the kiddos? Do you have a budget in mind?

Just a note for the future. You're actually NOT supposed to take the kids out of the car seats until they're medically cleared. If there's any damage to the spinal cord, keeping the kiddo in the seat will help preserve it, kind of like a back board. If EMTs try to take your kids out of the seats, tell them no. They can cut the seat belt or LATCH straps and transport your kiddo in the car seat to the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search