Need Suggestions/Opinions! *Bus Service Transportation*

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2013, 04:09 PM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay fellow car seat mamas I have a question/situation I need some advice on. I have asked others their opinions but everyone thinks I'm over reacting but again they don't understand the importance of car seat saftey.

My almost 3 year old has Autism and is taken to and from therapy through a bus (van) service. He rides in a 5 point harness carseat that they provide. It's the most basic carseat like WIC would provide or hand out. He is too tall and too big for the carseat to begin with. His shoulders go way past the top harness slots. So I provide a different car seat for them to use.

My issue that he mostly has the same driver every day the driver has been really good about installing the carseat properly (they have to unistall it and re-install it as the van they drive could switch throughout the day. He is also good about only using his fleece coat and taking off his puffier coat as well and making sure the straps are adjusted right. There have been several times this past week where he has had a different driver (his current driver is out for personal issues and didn't say when he would be back) every day I show them how to install the carseat make sure its tight, adjust the straps, and take off his coat!! Then he comes home with a different driver and yesterday the carseat strap was 3.5 INCHES away from his chest because they had his puffy coat on and had the carseat strap out the farthest it would go. I got him out of the car so I know they didn't losen it when they took him out.

I called the bus service but the person in charge wasn't there and hasn't caled me back what would you do? I am going to tell them not to mess with the straps from now on I'll tighten it once and it should be the right setting for him so if its "too tight" they need to take off layers till its not! What else would you do? I am so beyond frustrated. We live an hour away from where he goes to therapy, its winter, I WANT him safe. I can't take him and pick him up everyday. I do a couple days a week when I can but I guess WWYD in this situation? What can I do?

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

January 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
This bus situation sounds horrid. If the drivers can't/won't install the car seats properly and use them properly, I would seriously consider driving him in myself or finding a new program. Yes, neither are optimal, and I know he needs the therapy. But I couldn't trust a bus system where the drivers are uneducated and ill-informed!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search