Hospital Policy on Car seats?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm just wondering when your baby was born, what the hospital policy was regarding leaving the hospital... Here, in the city, Baby must be carried out of the hospital in their car seat. This is all well and good... except we are not going with an infant car seat. I don't know what the policy is at the hospital we are delivering at, as it's more rural, and I am unfamiliar with anyone who's delivered there before...

What was the policy at your hospital, did you have to carry baby out in their car seat? If you also went straight to the convertible, did you borrow a seat from someone to carry baby out in?

I doubt this would be the same policy in huge cities as many people don't have vehicles and only use public transport...

I'm not sure how we are going to handle this situation now....

January 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
With our first baby, the policy was that hospital staff had to accompany you down to the car and make sure that the baby was properly restrained in a seat.

With the twins, I didn't even ask. They had to pass a "car seat test" in the NICU before we were allowed to leave, which involved them sitting in the car seats for an hour with monitors on to make sure their heart rate/respirations/oxygen saturation were okay. No one went with us down to the car when we left. We had infant seats for them, and so did everyone else who I saw leaving the NICU. I have no idea what their policy is on convertible seats, but I'm sure it would have been okay to bring the seat up to the NICU. One of the nurses was a car seat tech, so she actually knew her stuff!
crunchywannabe likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 17th, 2013, 12:20 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
If that's a policy, then you should ask them to provide you with an infant seat. You don't HAVE to use an infant seat, and they can't force you to buy one so you can leave. My hospital's policy was that baby had to leave the hospital in a car seat, convertible or otherwise. A nurse accompanied us downstairs to check we had one, and we were off.

I would call and double check the policy because it is absurd. But remember that you can leave even if you don't have an infant seat. Don't be bullied into thinking you have to have one to leave. And don't uninstall your convertible either. Just keep doing what you're doing!
January 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think they want to be sure that you have a seat for baby. If you tell them that your seat is installed in the car, a nurse should go down with you to verify you have a seat. If you have already signed the discharge papers, they cannot keep you there.

If you have a preemie like KMH said, they have to pass a car seat test (to make sure they are still brething properly when in it. and you would have to bring the convertable seat inside.

January 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For one of my kids they placed the baby in the infant seat (along with all her stuff) on one of those wheeled carts and I took her out like that. You could put a convertible seat on that and "carry them out" if you had to. I would ask if the nurse could just come out and look in your car though. The convertible seats meet car seat standards and laws.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search