Need car seat and booster seat recommendations please!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimberlyw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I need to fit three seats in the same row of my vehicle as I am expecting my 6th child in September. I want to start planning now, as I realize I may need to replace my other kids' seats in order to accomodate sitting three seats in one row. My oldest is 7 and in a backless booster seat. Next is my son (4 1/2) in a high back booster (he is really tall and weighs 43lbs as of this past September). The other child (depending on which will fit better) will either be my 2 1/2yo in a Graco Myride 65 (monstrously large carseat) or the new baby in whatever y'all recommend to me I have no idea how I am going to fit three accross, but I definitely can't fit another baby seat in the middle row seating or I won't be able to get that seat to fold down to get the other kids out of the third row seating. My other two kids are 13 and 14 so no longer needing any kind of booster seat lol TIA!

Oh if it helps at all I drive a Chevy Traverse and middle and 3rd row are both bench seating for 3 (so they seat a total of 6 thank goodness lol).

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Forgot to mention that Kara is FF now in the Myride 65 - she was RF until 2 mo before her 2nd b-day (we started having issues with her getting carsick every time we left the house - it stopped when we turned her). So if buying any of them new seats that are more narrow would help please let me know TIA!

January 28th, 2013, 03:31 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Do you want the baby in an infant seat or a convertible, or does it matter?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whatever is smaller - I was looking at the Combi Coroccos earlier...they seem the most narrow I can find so far. I measured my 3rd row and it is only 4 feet accross. I need to fit two booster seats with whatever seat I have for the new baby too.

Anyone heard of bubble bum booster seats? Are those really safe?

What about the Ride Safer Travel vest for my 7yo - would that be safe?

They have so many new options, but I am not sure if they are safe or not. I was getting my info from this website:

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/booste...r_seats_6.html

Anybody know about those?

January 28th, 2013, 06:11 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Okay. Wait. I need to list this out for myself lol. Six kids. Chevy Traverse with 2 bench rows.

Kids:
14 yr old in seat belt
13 yr old in seat belt
7 yr old in no back booster
4 yr old in high back booster
2 yr old FFing
newborn

Questions:

-Where are your top tethers located?
-Do all positions have head rests? If not, which ones?
-Why can't the 7 yr old or 4 yr old go in the third row?
-Would it be better to have one of the older 2 in the seat that folds down to access the third row (i.e. no car seat to move)?
-Which boosters are the 7 and 4 yr olds riding in?
-What is your total budget for new seats?

Last edited by amylynne01; January 28th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
January 29th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes on the kids and their ages

I need the middle row of seats to only have one carseat so that I can fold it down to let the kids out of the very back - in the third row seating. I plan on having the 14, 13, and new baby in the middle row of seats. That way there are no seats preventing me folding it down to let out the kids in the very back. In the third row of seats (very back) I need to fit Kara (she currently has a graco myride 65) and two booster seats.

I was looking at the Ride Safer Travel vests for Abby (7) and Connor (will be 5 before baby comes). That way I won't have two booster seats taking up so much room - they seem safe, but I had never heard of them before. I was also thinking of replacing Kara's seat if these vests were not a safe option. For new baby I am looking at the combi corocco. I don't want any seats over $200, but don't really have a set budget. If I need to I will just get a new car seat every month for a few months while pregnant so I have everyone's before baby comes. I will make the $ aspect work for whatever is needed. I just can't get a completely new vehicle is all lol.

Hope that helped - I know it is confusing - it gave me a massive headache yesterday. Never thought I would actually ever need that sixth seat in the back...

Also, not sure about the top tethers as we have never used them. There are headrests on the two seats behind driver and behind passenger - just not the two middle seats in each row. All the seatbelts (including middle seats of both rows) have shoulder straps. Connor is in an Evenflo high back booster that also has a 5pt harness (we just can't use the 5pt since he is over 40lbs). Abby has a cheapie one - not sure of the brand. It is just the backless one with arms. Right now they both ride in the third row with nobody between them. My older two and the 2yo with the myride 65 are in the middle row of seats.

January 29th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Okay. Any FFing seat really really should be top tethered, so check your car's manual for the locations. That means your 2 yr old needs (must) be in a spot where a top tether is located, so that is vital info. Any child riding in just the seat belt must have a head rest, so your older 2 must be outboard in the second row with a car seat between them.

I'm 95% certain the MyRide is going to be a huge problem. Your third row is not that big, and you need two boosters plus another seat. The boosters need room to buckle, and the MyRide is just wide. What about if you buy a Diono Radian (any model) or a Harmony Defender 360 for the 2 yr old FFing in the third row? The Radian is narrower but more expensive. The Defender is FFing only, but that shouldn't be an issue. So your 2 old needs to go in whatever spot in the third row that has a tether. Then boosters in the empty seats. You could give the MyRide to the newborn.

Or another idea. Put 2 yr old, boostered kid, and one of the older 2 in the third row. That might save you a couple inches since the older one doesn't need the room for a booster. Plus that kid could help get the youngest buckled in. You could also get narrow boosters for the 7 and 5 yr olds. A narrow backless is the Harmony one from Walmart at around $13. A narrow highback that converts to backless is the Graco Turbobooster at around $50.

You might have to play with a couple different combinations and see what works best. Make sure that all seats are independently installed without relying on another seat to be safe. The car seats can touch each other but the touching should not affect the install in any way.
January 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have her FF car seat tethered because we don't use the LATCH system - I use the seatbelt for her car seat. I will check into it this weekend though.

I think I decided on the Ride Safer travel vests for my 7yo and 5yo. That means I just need to get a baby seat for the newborn, and it will really eliminate the problem of kids not having enough space.

Thanks for all your help though!

January 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
The top tether is required for FFing car seats installed with LATCH. The top tether is strongly recommended for FFing car seats installed with seat belts. I would not put a FFing child in a car seat unless it was top tethered - that's how important it is.

Another option for your 7 yr old is the Bubble Bum. It's an inflatable no back booster that is very narrow. The vests are great for travel but often cumbersome for everyday use because of the way the child has to get into it. I'd seriously consider another option. Here is a thread on car-seat.org about it (it's from 2008, but the vest hasn't changed any).
January 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The vest has been updated - they have 2 models now. I realize it is cumbersome, but the bubble bum doesn't look safe and I have read that some kids complained about the bounciness of it and were sliding down off of it. Thank you again for your input though!
amylynne01 likes this.

Last edited by kimberlyw; January 29th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search