Ordered George's new seat

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 05:03 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm so excited!

Claire has an SK Radian in red and I will be purchasing a purple one for Abigail eventually. They are going to be so cute 3-across

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 31st, 2013, 07:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
adorable!!! when do you plan to start putting him in that seat?

January 31st, 2013, 07:32 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I won't wait until they outgrow the infant seats to switch. I have already had one back surgery, so lugging around a car seat + the weight of a baby is a lot for me...and this time I have twice the load It is also SO much easier to get them in/out of the Radian (the seat pictured above) because the sides are so shallow...much better on my back and just easier in general. I also think kids like to start sitting more upright as they get older....Claire started to dislike the car around this age, and when I put her in the Radian she never complained. Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I'll probably switch them around March-April when the weather is warmer and I won't be worried about them getting too cold when loading/unloading the car. That also allows me to ditch the big behemoth of a stroller that I currently use and switch to a lightweight double that is also much easier on my back.
crunchywannabe likes this.

Melissa & DH

January 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AWESOME!!! I LOOOOVE our red radians SO much. My two little boys have matching red ones. I'm hoping for a little girl so I can get the purple one
KMH likes this.

February 1st, 2013, 04:40 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I <3 the purple one. So pretty! I'm waiting to get through the winter with Owen in his Snugride30 because it is so convenient to keep him in the seat on the coldest of days. But of course I only have the one.

What vehicle do you have, KMH?
February 1st, 2013, 05:44 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Our everyday vehicle is a Honda Odyssey, so in that one I have Claire in the 3rd row (LATCH is only in the center position in the 3rd row), and the babies in the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. DH drives a Toyota Land Cruiser, and in that one we have to go 3-across because his has no 3rd row of seating. I'm guessing that we'll only have the seats in the Land Cruiser 3-4 times a year...we just use it for camping trips and more adventurous outdoorsy stuff where a van can't go.
amylynne01 likes this.

Melissa & DH

Last edited by KMH; February 1st, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
February 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
Why is it that mini vans only have the latch in the middle of the back row? I don't understand that. we have a Town & Country and are on the lookout for something that has more than one latch in the backseat. We will have 3 in carseats and 2 in boosters come August.

February 1st, 2013, 08:28 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I don't get that either! It seems like if you are buying a minivan, it is probably because you have a lot of kids and therefore a lot of seats!

Is it possible that it has something to do with the folding seats? Ours folds down in 2 parts...one single seat folds down and then the other 2 fold down together. Does that make having 3 LATCH positions difficult or impossible? That is the only reasoning I can come up with.

The brand-new Odyssey's say they can have 5 car seats secured with LATCH, but doesn't detail how those are arranged...at least that is better than the 3 we have!

Melissa & DH

Last edited by KMH; February 1st, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
February 1st, 2013, 08:49 AM
Well that's good to know about the newer odyssey's, that's what my dh is wanting anyhow. We will have to look into that. Our back seat folds down all at once, it doesn't fold in parts, it's very frustrating because even with the carseat in the middle, there isn't much room on the sides.

February 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think the 5 LATCH positions started with the 2011 model, but I'm not 100% sure.
BeachMum likes this.

Melissa & DH

February 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
But remember three things.

1. LATCH has weight limits. In the Odyssey, it's 40lbs, so once your kiddo hits that, you MUST install with a seat belt.
2. With three across, it's often better to use the seat belt because you have more flexibility in where the car seat actually ends up. You can pull the outboard car seats more towards the windows to give the middle space another couple inches. That's usually not possible with LATCH because the anchors are immovable and inflexible.
3. LATCH doesn't matter for boosters (although some boosters are allowed to be LATCHed in all the time so they don't become projectiles in a crash).

The important thing to remember is top tethers. All FFing seats really should be top tethered to prevent head excursion. This is where car manufacturers fall short, as they put one top tether in the third row. Cars since 2000ish are required to have 3 top tethers, and most cars meet the minimum. The new Odysseys far exceed that with 5 top tethers, which is awesome. The third row in my Mazda CX9 has no LATCH. Okay, fine. But it has no top tethers! I knew that going in and didn't think it would be an issue, but now we're stuck in a tight three across until DD1 is fully booster trained (another 6 months or so).
February 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yep, only 3 top tethers in my Odyssey

We also couldn't get a good install with the Radian in one of the outboard positions in the 3rd row (seat belt install), so I guess when Claire hits 40 pounds we'll have to move her to a Captain's Chair to do a seat belt install with her Radian and then move one of the babies to the LATCH position in the 3rd row. Luckily we won't have to worry about that for a while...she hasn't quite hit 30 pounds yet.

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search