3 across backseat of a Hyundai

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. I've got a 3 yr old (36 lbs, 37in) and a 19 month old (23 lbs 30 in) who is still RF and a new baby coming in 2 weeks. I've got a Hyundai elantra and I'm wondering how we can make it work with 3 car seats. I was also thinking of turning my toddler ff. does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
February 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What seats do you already own? What is your budget for new seats? Do you want an infant seat or convertible for baby on the way?

Turning your 19 month old FFing is not an option. She is 532% safer RFing, so she needs to be RFing until at a minimum of 2 but as close to 4 as possible.
February 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
We have 2 evenflow symphony car seats. There is next to no space between the two in the back. We also have a graco snug ride (?) infant seat.
Mil offered to buy at least 1 seat for us so that leave us ok to buy the other seat or 2.... Preferably nothing more than $300 each.

My pediatrician actually mentioned that we could turn my dd if needed... I just want it safe.

February 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
No offense to your ped and his/her medical training, but he/she was wrong. The AAP and NHSTA both recommend RFing to at least 2 but as close to 4 as possible. I know that we can find a combo to make it work for you!

If you wanted 3 all new seats, you could easily fit a Harmony Defender 360 ($100 at Walmart) FFing for your 3 yr old behind the driver, a RFing Radian (any model, the lowest one is $165 at justkidsstore.com) in the middle for your toddler, and a slimmer infant seat like a Graco SnugRide 30 (one model is on rollback for $100 at Walmart - that's a steal!) RFing behind the passenger. If you wanted a convertible from birth, replace the SnugRide 30 with a Graco MyRide ($130ish). The Radian and MyRide puzzle nicely together as the high MyRide sides slide over the low profile of the Radian. The MyRide is the more budget friendly option as it will last until age 4-5 for most kids.

The Symphonys are nice seats, but they are outgrown super early RFing as you can only use the two lowest clicks for RFing. It's also outgrown super early as a booster because it doesn't adjust very high. That is why I didn't include them in a new three across because they're just so limited in their function.
February 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Thanks so much! I am going to look at those car seats today.

February 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Since you have a larger budget of 300 each you could splurge and get 3 radians since they will last all 3 a long time. Just a suggestion!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 23rd, 2013, 04:32 AM
I'm 100% certain that a Radian at a newborn angle will not fit in her car. The oldest is also FFing, so I personally wouldn't buy a convertible for a FFing kiddo. Don't get me wrong - I love both of my Radians! But I didn't think that three of them would be the best choices. A second Radian for baby-to-be is a great choice for down the road when he/she has head control and can use an angle adjuster (OP, forgot to mention that. Get the angle adjuster for the Radian!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search