Installation Advice?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkyBaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got a tether anchor installed in my car, a 1999 Ford Explorer 2 door. What was weird was they only installed one on the far right side of my trunk space, see photos:

Close up of the anchor:

A wider shot to show exactly where it is in my trunk. The anchor is underneath the little tab of fabric sticking up:

My questions are: Do I need to take my car back in to install another one a little further to the left or is only one anchor safe? The tethers on Lily's car seat are way to short to stretch all the way back there so where can I find extra tether straps to add more length?

Thanks!

Edited for an update:

I think, after an hour of googling and reading about it, I found the solution. I read about something called a locking clip for the seat belt. Using that instead of the locking mechanism of our seat belt (that kind where you pull it all the way out and it makes that ratchet sound going back in, preventing slack from being pulled back out), took away the tilt and made it so much more stable. I also ended up rolling up a couple of towels and putting them under the seat so her car seat sits level. Those two things together made a world of difference. Took me 2 hours of messing with it to get it better but I'm still not 100% satisfied, but I am confident enough with the snugness of it to say its safer than forward facing her at this point. I still feel the need to get a new car though.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Last edited by SkyBaby; May 4th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
May 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I honestly have no idea on its safety. Seems like a weird place for it. Are you on FB? If you are, there's a group called "Car Seats for the Littles". All kinds of car seat techs and advocates who are really knowledgeable. I would post your question there because I think you'll get the answers you need.

Are you trying to tether the RFing seat that's in front of the tether anchor? It looks like a Safety 1st seat?? If it is, you cannot tether it while RFing. If I'm wrong, tell me what seat you have. Only Britax, Diono, and Combi allows for it.
May 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
I honestly have no idea on its safety. Seems like a weird place for it. Are you on FB? If you are, there's a group called "Car Seats for the Littles". All kinds of car seat techs and advocates who are really knowledgeable. I would post your question there because I think you'll get the answers you need.

Are you trying to tether the RFing seat that's in front of the tether anchor? It looks like a Safety 1st seat?? If it is, you cannot tether it while RFing. If I'm wrong, tell me what seat you have. Only Britax, Diono, and Combi allows for it.
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll take a look at that Facebook group for sure.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

May 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, they installed an anchor for a top tether (for FF seats) not to use with the UAS (latch). If your seatbelt is switchable (makes the ratcheting noise while retracting) you shouldn't need the locking clip. It could just be more difficult to get it tighter bassed on the style of seat. I wouldn't however argue with a 'like a rock' install using the locking clip if that's what it takes for you to get the job done.

When it is time to turn her FF, you would use the anchor on the floor for the top tether, and if it was installed by the manufacturer of your vehicle than it would be considered fine that it's off center. Do not attach more than one tether to this anchor.

May 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
Yeah, they installed an anchor for a top tether (for FF seats) not to use with the UAS (latch). If your seatbelt is switchable (makes the ratcheting noise while retracting) you shouldn't need the locking clip. It could just be more difficult to get it tighter bassed on the style of seat. I wouldn't however argue with a 'like a rock' install using the locking clip if that's what it takes for you to get the job done.

When it is time to turn her FF, you would use the anchor on the floor for the top tether, and if it was installed by the manufacturer of your vehicle than it would be considered fine that it's off center. Do not attach more than one tether to this anchor.
Yes my seat belt is the switchable kind. It tipped sideways at an extreme angle pulled as tight as it would get, before I tried the locking clip instead. Using the locking clip instead of the seat belt's built in lock was what it took to get that super snug fit and next to no tilt. I assume I can't use the seat belt's built in lock and the locking clip simultaneously, but that's ok. I found something that works for us. Having to move the car seat into another car for a day would be a real nightmare though lol.

The anchor was installed by a Ford dealer if that's what you mean.

Last edited by SkyBaby; May 5th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
May 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
You cannot lock the seat belt AND use the locking clip. If you use the locking clip, don't lock the seat belt. Make sure the locking clip is less than 1" from the latchplate, and it needs to be either totally IN the belt path of the car seat or totally OUT of the belt path.
May 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
You cannot lock the seat belt AND use the locking clip. If you use the locking clip, don't lock the seat belt. Make sure the locking clip is less than 1" from the latchplate, and it needs to be either totally IN the belt path of the car seat or totally OUT of the belt path.
I am only using the locking clip, not the seat belt's locking mechanism. I just check the seat belt regularly to make sure it hasn't locked up. The locking clip is about a half inch above the latch plate if that and totally out of the belt path of her car seat.

If anyone else has the same issue I had, this is the website I used and it very much came in handy.

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm
amylynne01 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search