Just purchased 2 Diono Radian RXTs - Installation

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What tips/tricks do I need to know for installing with a shoulder/lap belt and not the anchors? Should I invest in a Diono Mighty Tite?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Do not purchase the Mighty Tite. It actually stretches the seat belt and can cause it to fail in a crash. It has also been known to tear the seat belt! The only "force" you need is yourself.

What vehicle are you installing it in? Assuming you're using it rear-facing. Do you have an angle adjuster? I own 3 Radians, so I feel good about installing them!
May 4th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and a 2005 Toyota Corolla. Both of the seats will be installed RF.

The angler makes the seat sit more upright, correct? I think we will be purchasing one for our son's seat but I'm hoping that the Radian will install at the correct angle in the middle seat so that we can use it for our newborn.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
In your Corolla, no car seats can touch the front vehicle seats because of advanced airbags. So I am really doubtful you can get it at the newborn angle in the middle without touching the front seats unless any front passengers have no legs. It *might* work in the Liberty because I think the car seats can touch the vehicle seats but not brace (brace is forceful touching, think jammed in there). I would try out your older child's Radian at the newborn angle in both cars before committing to a Radian for the newborn.

The angle adjuster does make it sit more upright. You can use it with a child who has good head control (usually 6+ months). Once your baby hits that milestone, you should have no trouble getting two RFing Radians in either vehicle.
May 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately no carseat that we have found avoids touching the front seats in our Toyota. We've tried several infant carseats that are designed for more compact cars and absolutely nothing will install that way. We shoot for "touching but angle not affected by seat placement" that is, the seats don't prop up the seat or interfere with a tight installation :\

It royally sucks but outside of buying a new car (not an option) we have no other way of resolving that issue.

May 6th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Touching is not allowed by Toyota, so we've gotta figure something else out. Have you tried a Combi Cocorro (convertible) or Cybex Aton (infant seat)? They both fit newborns AND are really short front to back. Downside being that they're outgrown more quickly than other seats. Can you angle your front seats more upright until baby has good head control and can be more upright? If the Liberty is more roomy, are you able to use only that vehicle with baby until it can be more upright?

I know the Toyota thing is a pain. We just traded in our 07 Camry. I had to be very creative about what went in there and in what position. It ended up as my husband's car, so we pushed the front passenger seat all the way up since it was never used.
May 6th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because of the amount of driving I'll be doing (going to parks, playdates, etc) we've decided that, due to MPG, the Toyota would be the main vehicle to drive the kids around. But that also means I most likely won't have another adult passenger which means i can adjust the front passenger seat as I need to. I am also a tad bit shorter than my husband (I'm 5ft9in and he's 6ft 4in) so I can push my seat up a bit more as well.

One of the other problems we run into with the Toyota is the width issue. If we can find a seat to fit length wise we lose out on width, lol. Our son has been in the 95th+ percentile for height since he was born and we thoroughly expect this one to follow suit so buying a seat that won't last as long length wise is kinda wasted money for us :S

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search