Car seat process

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I guess I'm just looking for general information on car seats.
I've seen some that are HUGE but allow an infant to have it up until a certain age or weight.
But those are just car seats and don't allow you to take the carrier part of it and carry baby wherever you need to go without disturbing or waking them.

About how many car seats do you usually go through? And at what age can a child sit in the backseat without a car seat or booster or anything?
And then I saw some car seats that were front facing and some were rear facing. What age does the seat need to be rear facing or front facing?

Sorry for the stream of questions.
July 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You are right, there are many options for car seats, there are 4 main "Types" of seats. Rear facing (the infant seats that you can remove and carry with you) Convertible (Rear faces and Forward faces, depending on your needs) Forward Facing (pretty self explanatory) and Booster seats (Used with a lap and shoulder belt).

A family can go through all 4 seats if they choose, however I would think many use 3, Infant seat, convertible, booster. (Our family will use 2, a convertible and a booster)

Laws can differ slightly but where I live a child must meet the MINIMUM requirements of 20lbs AND 1 year old AND walking independently. However it's recommended that a child remain rear facing as long as they fit within the seats weight and height restrictions.

The law where I live as of August 8th 2013 states that a child must be in a booster seat until they reach 4'9, 80lbs OR are 9 years old. Again, a child who meets the age requirements and not the height or weight is not going to be as safe riding without a booster.

July 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just checked the laws for my state. There's a good deal of information and I found out that we have 'inspection stations' that can help if I have any questions. So I guess if I can't get solid answers at the store I buy the car seat from, I can go to them instead.

I have a while before I have to actually worry about that, but I know I'll feel better working out details now instead of later when it's crunch time.
July 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely. It's a wise idea to get your seat inspected even if you think it's installed correctly and that your child is in properly, there is almost always something to learn! (Even I am learning new things, and I'm a car seat tech!)

Most stores wouldn't have a trained technician on staff, all they can do is tell you what is written on the box. A car seat is not 'safer' because it costs more. All seats must pass the same safety standards, but a seat that fits well in your car and for your child is a safe seat!
Always read through the whole user manual, and also see what your vehicle manual has to say about seats and installation! Make sure you follow all the instructions in both!
Keep in mind that the laws state the MINIMUM requirements to transition a baby to the next stages of car seats, but that they will always be safer staying in the lower stage until they've physically reached (by height and/or weight) the maximums for that seat!
For example by law at 1 year, walking independently and 20lbs you may turn a baby forward facing. However the car seat that we own allows for rear facing until my baby is 35lbs, so that is what we will do.

August 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Best practice is to RF to 4, harness to 6 (typically when kids are developmentally ready for the responsibility of a booster), and booster until 10-12 (or when a child passes the 5 step test).

You can easily spend less than $200 for car seats for a child's entire life if you plan it right. You can just easily spend $2000 on the same child if you choose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search