Log In Sign Up

Budget friendly RF'ing seat


Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,387
We're planning a trip to the States in September and will need my dad to bring a seat to the airport so we can safely travel to his house for our stay. Our daughter is 18 months and still rear facing and we'd like to buy a seat in the States for her to use that is also rf'ing but also not expensive since we already have a rf'ing seat at home. Any suggestions? It MUST be cheap, less than 100 bucks or my husband wants me to get a used car seat (which I don't want to do). Do you reckon a cheap new car seat is better than a used more expensive one? My gut tells me to just get a new one, even if it's not rated as highly as a Britax or Diono. Since I'm traveling with her alone I don't want to bring our seat...it's already going to be stressful enough on an 9 hour flight and 1-2 connections without having to lug the seat around.

We were looking at this one...anyone know anything about it?: Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

TIA!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 30th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,084
So long as the seat is correctly installed and fits in the vehicle (not all seats and vehicles are compatable!) and your daughter fits correctly in it, it's a safe seat! All new car seats must meet federal testing, and there really isn't a safety rating given individually, the price of a seat is usually based on things like extra features and ease of install!
The risk of buying a used seat is not knowing it's crash history. Was it dropped when being uninstalled, were the straps washed in water, are there any missing pieces, was it included in a recall etc etc. IMO there are too many unknowns to make the purchase worth while.
I would recommend you buy an inexpensive seat brand b=new for her. Or borrow from a trusted friend while in the states.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
So long as the seat is correctly installed and fits in the vehicle (not all seats and vehicles are compatable!) and your daughter fits correctly in it, it's a safe seat! All new car seats must meet federal testing, and there really isn't a safety rating given individually, the price of a seat is usually based on things like extra features and ease of install!
The risk of buying a used seat is not knowing it's crash history. Was it dropped when being uninstalled, were the straps washed in water, are there any missing pieces, was it included in a recall etc etc. IMO there are too many unknowns to make the purchase worth while.
I would recommend you buy an inexpensive seat brand b=new for her. Or borrow from a trusted friend while in the states.

Thanks for your reply

That's exactly what I was thinking (and trying to explain to my husband lol). He has agreed to the one in the link (it's only 39 bucks). Just wondering if there are any other cheap seats out there or if there is any feedback on this one.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,920
We have the Cosco Scenera for our traveling seat as well (although not for our main seat). Its decent safe seat for a great price, which has fit great in the various cars we have rented or family members cars we have used. I hope that helps
__________________
Sarah, wife to Brandon (since 7/7/07), mother to
James (8/30/09), Corbin (9/1/11), and Lily (10/5/13)




Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 19,891
Does she have her own seat on the plane? If so, she will not fit in the lap belt and really should be using her car seat onboard. A plane is just like a car, except it travels at 500mph. The car seat will help protect her from turbulence as well as protect other passengers from her becoming a projectile. Please reconsider taking her seat onboard because that is the only safe way for her to travel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 3rd, 2013, 12:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by J09C11 View Post
We have the Cosco Scenera for our traveling seat as well (although not for our main seat). Its decent safe seat for a great price, which has fit great in the various cars we have rented or family members cars we have used. I hope that helps
I've heard mixed review on it rear facing...what's your experience? Some reviewer said that the company recommends to use towels in the rear facing? That kind of threw me off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
Does she have her own seat on the plane? If so, she will not fit in the lap belt and really should be using her car seat onboard. A plane is just like a car, except it travels at 500mph. The car seat will help protect her from turbulence as well as protect other passengers from her becoming a projectile. Please reconsider taking her seat onboard because that is the only safe way for her to travel.
She's <2 so she doesn't get her own seat.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 3rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,084
The towel is just to help get the correct angle. You would roll it up and wedge at the base, where the seat buckles in.
Pool noodles, cut to the width of the seat also work well. (no more than 3 taped together max)
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #8  
August 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
I've heard mixed review on it rear facing...what's your experience? Some reviewer said that the company recommends to use towels in the rear facing? That kind of threw me off...
We have had no trouble at all with it rear-facing and since she is older it doesn't need to be way tilted. A towel will be enough if you are having troubles, but we have not used on with that carseat before. The one thing I found annoying with it was the latch buckles, so we just used the carseat belt instead with no issues.
__________________
Sarah, wife to Brandon (since 7/7/07), mother to
James (8/30/09), Corbin (9/1/11), and Lily (10/5/13)




Reply With Quote
  #9  
August 5th, 2013, 06:07 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 19,891
Even though she's less than 2, she still needs her own seat. The coffee pot gets bolted down. The flight attendants buckle up. Why not kids under 2? They are the only thing that is allowed to NOT be buckled up on board. It's not safe, and airlines know it. But it affects their bottom line - if they charge for all kids, more families would drive, so less money for airlines.

I would still urge you to reconsider having her as a lap baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88O3ugSjnU
__________________

Last edited by amylynne01; August 5th, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0