Where do i go for safety reviews?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By amylynne01

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I haven't bought or researched a car seat in forever. I looked around here and maybe I am missing it- Where do I go to find safety model reviews? Is Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the "IT" place for information?

I am looking for my sister who likes the infant seats with the snap and go bases. She was going to get a Graco but I wasn't impressed with the reviews. Hours later I am still torn as to what to get! blah!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

August 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are no such thing one seat being reviewed as SAFER than any other seat. It's all about ease of use and getting a correct instal every time. I recommend going in to a store that will allow you to try different seats out in your car before buying, and that way you'll know which A.can be installed in your car and B.Whether or not you actually like using the seat.

August 5th, 2013, 12:36 AM
ummm ok... So I take it they no longer do crash tests then? Because they did. And there were better performers like Britax Marathon.

Ratings for Ease-of-Use Ratings particularly "Securing the Child" I guess will have to do?

There is no way all car seats are created equal no matter how you install. That's like saying all cars are equally safe it's just a matter how you drive
Due with #3
My blog

Last edited by Lucy S.; August 5th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
August 5th, 2013, 07:04 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
There have never been safety reviews in the states. The perception is that Britax seats perform better, but there is no data to support that. A seat either passes or fails. If it passes, it's sold in stores. If it fails, it's not. Consumer Reports does ease of use type testing, but I wouldn't use that data at all. They know appliances, not car seats.

What about the Graco seats is bothering you? They are a very highly recommended brand for infant seats.
August 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM
There have been safety reviews but my mistake- they were not government regulated.

I think i am going to stick with a combo of nhtsa, CR and the forums on Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums. I have read quite a few threads on this topic and it's been interesting to see all the views.

Thanks
Due with #3
My blog

August 6th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Remember that CR is done by people who have little experience with car seats. NHTSA and car-seat.org are trained technicians. CR - not so much. But if you stick with those two, you'll find some great information!
August 28th, 2013, 09:03 AM
thank you for all your help, couple of things that come as a surprise to me...was thinking of asking the same question but found the answers from u all. great! thanx
September 5th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Just so you know, Britax is a leader in the industry when it comes to safety features. For every car seat model they make, they crash test SIXTY of them. They test everything on the seat physically and they test for misuse (like improper installation, etc). I chose Britax because of the innovative safety features (integrated steel bars, side impact protection, and energy absorbing versa tether). You can find out more about their safety features here on their website. They have lots of great videos available that explain their idea of "safety you can see." I am a member of the BRITAX Safety Squad - opinions expressed here are my own.
September 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Britax are great seats! However they are really only as good as the owner using them, same with any other car seat on the market. A seat that fits your vehicle, your child and is used properly is the safest seat!
The reason Britax is considered "safest" is because they were the first to give the option for extended rear facing. Now that other manufacturers have caught up, there is still the belief that Britax is safer, but it is not based on comparative safety testing.

The bottom line is for a seat to be the safest always be sure you are following the seat's user manual, vehicle user manual, and best practices (RF to the age of two, no after market products, etc)

And it's always a good idea to have it inspected by a tech! I have had quite a few parents come to me with great installs, and their child was perfectly strapped in, but we still found ways to improve comfort, or make small changes to improve safety)
amylynne01 likes this.

September 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmom812 View Post
Just so you know, Britax is a leader in the industry when it comes to safety features. For every car seat model they make, they crash test SIXTY of them. They test everything on the seat physically and they test for misuse (like improper installation, etc). I chose Britax because of the innovative safety features (integrated steel bars, side impact protection, and energy absorbing versa tether). You can find out more about their safety features here on their website. They have lots of great videos available that explain their idea of "safety you can see." I am a member of the BRITAX Safety Squad - opinions expressed here are my own.
It's hard to consider your post as valid since it is incredibly biased. If you work for Britax, then of course Britax is the best. Every other car seat manufacturer is equally safe, or their seats would not be available for sale. They all absorb crash forces differently. Steel bars and the versa tether are manifested in other ways in other seats. As far as side impact protection, there are no national standards for that. It might just be a gimmick!

It doesn't help to shame parents into thinking that they must buy a Britax because they're "the leader in the industry when it comes to safety features". That statement is simply untrue. If they were the leader, they would have seats that allow ALL children to RF comfortably to age 4 since research indicates RFing to 4 is safest. But at this point, their short shells and lack of leg room prohibit even the tiniest kids to get past 2.5.

FWIW, I do own a Britax, as well as a Safety 1st, 2 Graco boosters, and 3 Dionos.
crunchywannabe likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search