4 year old in booster seat?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
hello all! I want to put my son in a high back booster seat that I can take off when he gets older. what would you reccomend? He just turned 4 in august and he is about 32 pounds. thanks!!

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

November 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a specific brand to recommend, but I'd look for something with lower anchors as most kids forget to buckle their booster in when they aren't riding in it (left un buckled an unused booster would become a dangerous projectile in a crash).

Also make sure that, even though he is legally of age he is not yet 40lbs (required by most laws and almost all boosters before moving out of a 5point harness) In addition he must be mature enough to sit upright (not falling asleep) or leaning to reach things for the entire trip, every time you're in the car. The lap and shoulder belt will be positioned differently based on different boosters and it is very important to have proper belt fit both on the shoulder and across the thighs so be sure to check that first!

November 23rd, 2013, 05:12 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
A newly 4 yr old is actually not safe in a booster (even though legal in many states). A child needs to be mature enough to sit in the seat properly, not play with the seat belt, not lean over for a dropped toy, to learn how to sleep in postion, etc. Boosters are really for the 5-6+ crowd. I'd plan on harnessing at least another year and then go from there. Do you need suggestions for a harnessed seat?
November 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
well I thought I have seen the booster seats that have a 5 point harness that can be converted to a regular high back booster, then later on taken off and just the booster seat. I am by no means ready to put him in a regular seatbelt. I trust him because he is very alert and mature but still doesnt meet all the weight requirements. his seat is about to expire soon and I was hoping to get something around feb, march.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

November 30th, 2013, 04:56 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
That's something different then. A booster means the child is restrained only by the car's seat belt. What you're describing is a combination seat (harnessed seat that changes to a booster), which is absolutely appropriate for him.

How tall is he, and what shirt size does he wear? What is your budget? What vehicle(s) is it going in, and does anyone else ride in the backseat with him?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search