Need help for seat suggestions for 3.5 yr old in truck

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a f150 supercrew with narrower back seats and no latching system. We are in need of a new seat for our 34lb 3.5 yr old tall daughter (don't know her exact height but she's on the tall size almost in 5t for length). Our current seat is no longer safe, it was a costco seat from Walmart, the cheapest one they had. It has started to lean over and not stay in place and the bottom of it extends over the edge of the seat. So we are in need of a good seat that will fit but is not too expensive. We only use the car for short drives around time she's never in it for more than an hour typically. Should I get a combination booster? I still want her in a 5 pt harness, just don't know of any good ones. We use a my ride 65 in our van with her and love it but they are too big for the truck and too pricey for a vehicle she is hardly in. Ideas?
January 3rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What is your budget? What size shirt does she wear? What year truck?
January 3rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
2001 yr for truck. She is in a 4T shirt but some 5T. Our budget is $75 but I'd like to be less if possible I don't know if it is.
January 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM
There are no decent options under $75 - sorry. I would recommend a combination seat which is a harnessed FFing seat that eventually turns into a booster. She probably has outgrown the Cosco one already - if her shoulders are over the highest shoulder height, she can't ride in it again. She is also not old enough to ride in a booster with just the seat belt until age 5-6.

Here are my recommendations from least to most expensive.

Evenflo Maestro - around $80 - will get her to size 6-7 shirt or 50lbs - does turn into a booster but it is a short booster, so you will need to buy another high back booster once she outgrows it around size 7 shirts
Harmony Defender - around $100 at Walmart only - will get her to size 7 shirt or 65lbs - does turn into a long lasting booster so this might be the last seat she'd ever need - most cost effective option
Evenflo SecureKid 300 or 400 - around $110-120 - will get her to size 7 shirt or 65lbs - does turn into a long lasting booster (not as long as the Defender) so you might need a $15 backless booster in 4-5 yrs
Graco Nautilus - around $120-$130 - will get her to size 7 shirt or 65lbs - does turn into a long lasting booster (not as long as the Defender) so you might need a $15 backless booster in 4-5 yrs
Britax Frontier - around $200 - will get her to size 10ish shirts or 80-90lbs (depending on model) - is the highest booster on the market so this would definitely be the last seat she'd ever need - downside is price and the fact that this seat is way overkill for most kids because of its longevity

If I were you, I would go with the Defender. It is a great seat for the value. I'm sorry that there's nothing cheaper than that, but $100 will be spread over 7-8 yrs until she is out of a booster.
January 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks so much for all the options and suggestions. That really helps. I will look into the defender. But just so I know, what other good seat options are there that don't convert to a booster? I know that is not the most cost effective option but I just wanted to compare...
January 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking ahead to the next 2ish years. She has a longer torso for her age, so you will need something to fit that. The Evenflo SureRide is around $80-$100 and will last to 65lbs or around size 7 shirt. But it does not turn into a booster. She has already outgrown many of the seats that are cheaper.

One thing you can do is check out this site. It has measurements of every kind for every car seat on the market. Check out the convertible page and the combination seat page. Because of her long torso, you want to look at the column that says "highest harness height". That number should be at least 17.0"-17.5" (size 6 shirt). Anything less may not get her to a safe booster age.
January 7th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Thank you again! I will look at that site! We are leaning towards getting a combination now, she still has not rode in the truck for the time being. We're on a spending freeze this week and will use the money saved from groceries and such for a new seat. It's amazing to me how much seats cost now, they have really increased over just a couple of years.
January 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Super Mommy
I know this is an older post but I just saw it- unfortunately I do not think the defender will work for to as it does no allow any overhang off the seat and OP stated that the current seat has an overhang the others are all great options however! And if you are lucky enough to test the defender and find that there is no overhang then that would be even better!

Also since the truck is an 2001 with out lower anchors there is a chance it may not have top tether anchors either (some do though since these were required earlier) which all FF seat need. If you do not have them, you can contact a dealership and have them retrofitted. This will greatly impact safety while in the car- specifically as it pertains to neck and spine injuries.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search