Frontier for one year old

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2014, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quick Question - I'm rarely on JM anymore, but wanted to get an opinion about this seat for my 20 month old.

I have her in an Alpha Omega Elite, but it was manufactured in 2007 so I think the exp is past or quickly approaching. I know the seat looks ROUGH (Faded fabric, etc). I have only used the seat as an in between until she could fit comfortable in the Frontier. It looks like she fits, but what I am finding online is 2 years and 25 pounds is the minimum. She was 22 pounds at 18 months, and will be 2 in July. The harness straps looks PERFECT on her like they do the Alpha Omega and our My Ride (which of course is recalled, but have requested the replacement kid already).

Would it be better of to put her into the Frontier and call it quits with the Alpha Omega? Or just keep her in the Alpha Omega a few more months until she is 2. I'm OK with her forward facing. Rearfacing is great, but I have to install the carseat behind the driver and it doesn't fit so I can drive. The seat would have to be straight up and all the way forward.

April 1st, 2014, 03:45 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
She cannot use the Frontier until she meets the minimums (25lbs AND 30" AND 2yrs old). Alpha Omegas have an 8 yr expiration, so you can still use that. That also has minimums to FF (34" AND 22lbs), so if she's under 34", she can't ride in it FFing.

If you only have these three seats and she is under 34", you don't have a seat that is safe for her to use until July when she turns 2. If she's over 34", then you can use the Alpha Omega FFing until July and then the Frontier.
April 2nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where did you find 34" for the My Ride? My manual just says the top 4 slots at or above the shoulders. She meets that requirement. The strap is very slightly above her shoulders. I think she has 2 more slots to go before she has outgrown. She was 31.5" at 18 months. Frontier also has a minimum height of 30" standing and 12" seated. I'll check her seated height on that later. I did double check the exp and it is 12/2015. I just feel really unsafe using the seat since some of the plastic is very badly cracked (the handles used to adjust the harness). Our other Alpha Omega in DH's car is a year older (assuming exp 2014 sometime - he's pulling it out this weekend to check) and feel safer using an expired seat in good condition verses the sun damaged one. Or the Frontier instead of the sun damaged, BUT, I don't want to go against guidelines. I know we need to buy at least one more car seat...just not sure what. I also don't think the My Ride will last until she is 4 and 40 pounds (I booster once they hit both requirements). I will use the My Ride until I can't anymore.

Ok stupid...I didn't mention the my ride. I'll double check my manual on the Alpha OMega. BUt I'm certain she fits in it properly.

April 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope71012 View Post
Where did you find 34" for the My Ride? My manual just says the top 4 slots at or above the shoulders. She meets that requirement. The strap is very slightly above her shoulders. I think she has 2 more slots to go before she has outgrown. She was 31.5" at 18 months. Frontier also has a minimum height of 30" standing and 12" seated. I'll check her seated height on that later. I did double check the exp and it is 12/2015. I just feel really unsafe using the seat since some of the plastic is very badly cracked (the handles used to adjust the harness). Our other Alpha Omega in DH's car is a year older (assuming exp 2014 sometime - he's pulling it out this weekend to check) and feel safer using an expired seat in good condition verses the sun damaged one. Or the Frontier instead of the sun damaged, BUT, I don't want to go against guidelines. I know we need to buy at least one more car seat...just not sure what. I also don't think the My Ride will last until she is 4 and 40 pounds (I booster once they hit both requirements). I will use the My Ride until I can't anymore.

Ok stupid...I didn't mention the my ride. I'll double check my manual on the Alpha OMega. BUt I'm certain she fits in it properly.
I assumed you were not using the MyRide until you got the new buckle. The 34" for FFing is only on the Alpha Omega. It's on a sticker on the side of the seat. An expired seat is not safe at all. You can't say that an expired seat is safer than a non-expired seat with sun damage - there's just no evidence that indicates sun damage is worse than expired or vice versa. If you use the expired one, you are making your daughter a crash test dummy since Dorel has not tested the seat beyond the 8 yr date.

If you can use the MyRide, that literally is the only option of the seats you own if she's under 34". If you are not using the MyRide and she's under 34", you have no safe options. If she's over 34", either Alpha Omega is safe (assuming the 2014 one hasn't expired yet). The Frontier cannot be considered as an option until July. Sorry.
April 2nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Ride - New buckle is ordered. 6-8 weeks to arrive. From what I read, the seat is still safe to use. That is one of her primary car seats. OK, I need some options for what to buy since Frontier is the best seat, but she isn't at the age yet (still need to check height, she might be 34 inches now). That way I can scrap the Alpha Omegas and be done with those awful seats! I do not trust either one. Primary Car one - she will keep the Graco My Ride until she outgrows it. We will cross the road when we come to it. Primary Car two - she will go into the Frontier as soon as she meets the minimum requirements. Until then.....??? Weekend Car - Whatever I get as a gap until the Frontier will go into this car. until then we will deal with the Alpha Omega pending expiration date. (Then when the My Ride is too small, it will go into primary care one....hopefully at that point she will be big enough for a booster....) For a new seat my big considerations: 1. My kids are tall and skinny. It has to have a high max height in order to stay harnessed until 40 pounds (DD was 5-6 years old) 2. Affordable - between 50-100 3. I have backless boosters, having a booster option is not a huge selling point to me. 4. I do not like that Graco harness to booster (N one). Love the Frontier, but not the price. I also LOVE the My Ride, but it will not last until DD hits 40 pounds. 5. Something semi-narrow would be great so I can fit 2 school age kids in the back seat with or without boosters. Most are booster free or almost at this point.

April 2nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The almost expired Alpha Omega exp 12/2014. Phew, I thought it was before July. She is actually on the 3rd harness height possition. I'm assuming she is 34 inches in order for the straps to be up that high, OR, she just has a really high seated height.

April 2nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm totally confused myself right now. I haven't done any research into carseats since I got the My Ride. Last car seat I bought was the Frontier 4 years ago (besides a basic backless booster...those aren't too complicated).

April 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM
If you won't use the Alpha Omega, what about something like an Evenflo Sureride (also called the Titan 65) or a Harmony Defender? Both are under $100. The Sureride does not turn into a booster, while the Defender does. Both are fairly narrow. The Defender is about 1" taller than the MyRide (lasting about a year longer to size 6/7 shirts). The Sureride is about 2" taller than the MyRide (lasting about 2 years longer to size 7/8 shirts).
April 5th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What about the Maestro? That one looked nice when I tried her in it. Nothing else really jumped out at me. The only con to that seat is they outgrow the booster with the harness - but we have separate boosters already. She will be stuck in the Omegas til 2, even if they suck at this point. (she is 34" measured her yesterday )

If I had seen the 34" sooner, I would have bought something when she turned one and outgrew the infant carrier in the other 2 cars.

April 5th, 2014, 04:23 PM
The Maestro is a nice seat too. The downside is the outgrowing it in harness and booster mode at the same time, but if you have dedicated boosters (or will purchase new ones depending on the expirations on the ones you have), then no worries. Some kids complain that the Maestro's straps are really close together at the neck, and some don't. I think the Sureride's are set a little further apart. You can always try them out in store first before you commit!
April 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So DH adores the Frontier. Not in the price range, but he LOVED the latch install and that sold him. He didn't like the Pioneer. But that would probably work also. I didn't show him the maestro or sureride, since Buy Buy Baby didn't have them. I'll show him next time we are at Target. I totally see the straps really close together at the neck being bothersome on the Maestro. Oldest DD said that I think. LO did have marks on her neck from the straps, so maybe it wont be a good fit? And, my 7 year old totally fit in the Frontier! She has been trying to skip out on the booster since its "uncool", so I've threatened a harness. Now I really have a real threat

April 7th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Some kids don't care about the straps on the Maestro. If they don't complain, it's fine. It's not an issue about safety or fit, just comfort. I used to have an Evenflo Triumph which had similar straps, and my kids never complained even though they got red marks.

I own a Frontier and have been really happy with it. It will get a lot of life in my house! The new Frontier 90s have just about the easiest install ever!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search