Childless friends

Forum: Thirtysomething Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thirtysomething Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Do you have any married friends or family members that don't have any children, or don't want any?

I do, and part of me feels like they are just being selfish - I feel bad for their parents who want to see their families grow. So they can afford the latest iphones and go to concerts and do whatever they want. In 10 years all that is going to seem so pointless.

I dunno. Maybe kids aren't for everyone. But most of these people I know would make GREAT parents.

Do you think childless marriages go through more, less, or the same struggles in the long run than families? Does becoming a 'family' add stability rather than being just a 'couple'?

April 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I don't have any married friends who don't have children but I do have a friend who was married at one time who absolutely does not want kids, she says it "just isn't her thing" sadly that is what ended her marriage, her ex husband decided he did want children. I guess in the long run it never would have worked out but still sad.
April 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
None of our friends are childless but many of them are heading towards the empty nest. Since we started later than others and we are usually the youngest in the group, we don't always do the same activities and have all the spare time that our friends have because our children are still so young.

For us having children really tied us together. We were together for almost 10 years before having children so we were committed but having children change our arguments . They don't happen as often and things we fought about before just don't seem all that important. If that makes sense.
April 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
** Mandy **
Do you have any married friends or family members that don't have any children, or don't want any? Yes, quite a few from high school or college. We aren't as close any more though because most have moved away and we just aren't on the same page anymore.

I understand how not everyone wants to have kids. Those of my friends who are in their 30s and married and say they want kids at some point I'm not really sure what they are waiting for. Seems like time is ticking.

Do you think childless marriages go through more, less, or the same struggles in the long run than families? Does becoming a 'family' add stability rather than being just a 'couple'? This is a hard question for me to answer, I think it really depends on the individuals/the couple/the family. I don't think childless couples go through all the same struggles as those with kids though. There is more to think about once you have kids.

April 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Hmm, maybe I'm way wrong on this

Secret to marital bliss? Don't have kids - Behavior- msnbc.com

April 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
I don't have any childless friends.

April 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cyndee* View Post

I don't think you are way wrong......I think having a child tests your marriage in ways you never expect. I think marriage is hard and parenting can be even harder. For Jon and me adding a child (the 1st weeks and months) was HARD!! I was 33 when I had Sydney, set in my ways and used to being independent and doing as I pleased, I would do things on a whim, we traveled a lot, and having a child changed all of that and was a huge adjustment for us. Didn't help that Sydney was colicky and I was in tears for the 1st 3 months on a daily basis because I felt like a horrible mother. All that being said I wouldn't change anything, she is the light of my life and I cannot imagine life without her. I just feel like even though we waited and planned for her nothing could of prepared us for her, if that makes sense? Now things have calmed down and DH and I are on the same page and happy again but in the beginning it was def a stressful and trying time in our marriage. Ok I am done rambling
April 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
** Mandy **
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cyndee* View Post
I didn't read the article but I have a hard time believing that to be true. It isn't true in our house anyway. Ally is the best thing that has ever happened to us and I think does give our marriage even more meaning and purpose.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search