Have you "grown up"

Forum: Thirtysomething Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thirtysomething Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2004, 06:13 AM
zonapellucida
I have been thinking a lot recently about how my thinking of my 20's has been seriously challenged by life in my 30's. I no longer have any idealic notions and am becomeing more and more cynical. I question EVERYTHING now and distrust the government more and more. I subscribe to serveral yahoo groups and a lot of what I read that is going on es[ecially in the name of child protection makes me ill. I almost wish I was ignorant because I feel impotent. Our government is moving toward communism! It sounds extreme but this is my observation.

Any of your early beliefs challenged now that you've gotten "life experience"?
August 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Carol
Heidi, I'm like you in ways. I was totally idealistic in my early to mid twenties, and felt that no matter what I wanted, or did, things would work out in my favor if I persevered. Ha!! I think my life motto should be "one step forward, two steps back." I also used to think that most people were good and decent, and I enjoyed being surrounded by people. Circumstances have changed my view on this and I now prefer to be left alone. I've become very cynical and jaded as well lately. I'm no longer willing to welcome a new person to the neighborhood because the people seem to get worse every time. I also used to believe that violence didn't solve anything. I have since changed my stance.

I distrust the local government immensely. How do we teach the children that the police are their friend when it seems like they are only on the side of the criminal. The thing my kids are learning, through our personal experiences, is that if you commit a crime, it doesn't matter. Unless you are on video committing the crime, you're going to get away with it if you simply deny it (even on video, I'm not so sure that you'd get arrested. The police may say you could just "look" like the perp).

I'm going to stop now before I get too emotional on this. I need to make a visit to the venting room .
August 28th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, definitely. For me, I think having a baby made me start to examine everything much more closely. I too have become very cynical and distrustful.

I often feel sad about the world my son is going to grow up in.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
I think my thinking is as balanced today as it was in my 20's. I'm not niave and never have been. But I am also very hopeful and optomistic. But my head is not in the clouds either. I think I can anticipate the worst, but have a game plan on dealing with it rather than dwell that everything is going to go wrong. I don't put my well being in other people's hands, so trust isn't an issue. I can of course trust those in my life, I don't care about the rest of the world. I have felt this way all my life. I never cared about putting myself out there for the rest of the world, I never felt inclined to meet my neighbors, but I have and most of them are great. I am not cynical, I have a dh who can annoy me day in and day out about that. He assumes if he has to have surgery, it will be a botched one and he'll die. That is his lovely thinking, assuming everything will always go wrong...I love proving him wrong!!!

I'm excited for the future and enjoy living every day for that day!

I think I am informed, but don't get overly obsessive about what ifs or what road this country is taking or whatever. I like to be knowledgable and informed, but I don't get overly affected by what I learn. I sorta just file it in my head. I will not let thoughts or conclusions of this or that affect the fact that TODAY is beautiful and I intend on using it wisely by spending it with my family, working hard at work and enjoying my home when I get there at the end of the day. I don't let things I read make me ill or think the bomb is going to drop and we are all dead or prisioners anyways!

I don't have that kind of energy. Nor do I choose to use my energy that way.

I have come down a long and hard road (mostly b/c I myself put potholes there) and won't waste another minute of my precious life worrying about things that are way over my head or 10 times bigger than me.

If the country does go communist, I'll have my passport ready and a plan on where to go!! Until then, I'm not going to worry about it much....lets just get passed this election! LOL.
August 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
I was totally Nieve I think!! I think about htings more!! I also feel more grounded too!!
August 31st, 2004, 08:11 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Yes, For sure.....My life has made me who I am today! My belief in GOD is still the same as when I was younger! VERY STRONGE! I feel there is always HOPE for better things to come!

Sometimes I have days when I look back at my past ( 20`s & 30`s)....And I think.....WOW, Have I came a long ways in my life! Then I look towards the future.....and think of all I want to do...Just little things! I`m glad I am at a peaceful time in my life, finally!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search