ISO - new mom's

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Newbies
I am an older mom and since my babies are almost all grown up I have decided to return to college. I am doing a report for my psychology class on new mom's returning to work. I only have a few questions and hope some of you that are just returning to work can help me with this?

Questions:

1.) Was the decision to return to work hard? If so, in what way?

2.) Explain what was the easiest and hardest part of returning to work?

3.) What would be your ideal plan of work and motherhood?

4.) What concerns did you have about your child when you returned to work?

5.) Did you consider not going back to work? What would it mean if you had not gone back to work?

I'm just looking for your honest thoughts and feeling. This is a very personal decision and I am not choosing what is right/wrong or opening this up for discussion. I just would like some insight as to what other mom's think and feel regarding this topic. Thank you to anyone that can help. If you would prefer not to post your response and email me that's fine too.

Thanks,
Amy
December 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
I'm not really just returning, i've been here 6 months or so. But I thought i'd answer anyway!

1.) Was the decision to return to work hard? If so, in what way?
For me it wasn't really an option. First, we need my income as well as SO's. If money weren't an issue the decision wouldn't have been hard for me. I love my job, and I would be working even if I didn't have to.

2.) Explain what was the easiest and hardest part of returning to work?
The hardest part of coming back to work is, of course, leaving Shane. I miss him so much, and I hate that I don't get to see him all day everyday. I miss some of his firsts and all the funny things he does all day. Since I used to work by myself (i'd be the only one at the hotel for the whole shift) I had to stop nursing when I came back to work. I couldn't leave the desk unattended to pump. That was a really, really difficult thing for me. Also finding good daycare has been a challenge for us. That's really difficult when you don't have 'normal' hours. Being a Mom is hard work, so I like that I can leave all the things that come with being a mom (diapers, bottles, cleaning, laundry, and the list goes on and on) at home for 8 hours a day and do something else with my time.

3.) What would be your ideal plan of work and motherhood?
I'd love if there were more hours in a day! lol I want to be able to spend every minute with Shane, but also have my independance. My hours at work are wacky 11am-7pm, and ideally (and someday!!) I would work a normal schedule so I can be with my boy more. I really wish there was a way to work pumping and nursing in with my work schedule too.

4.) What concerns did you have about your child when you returned to work?
Finding good daycare is still a problem for us. I'm worried that Shane is not getting the attention he needs and deserves when I'm not around.

5.) Did you consider not going back to work? What would it mean if you had not gone back to work?
I didn't consider it. I love working, and we need the money. If I hadn't come back to work Shane would still be getting Mama's milk, which would be wonderful for us both. We would be way broke. And I would be going ABSOLUTELY NUTS being a stay at home Mama!!!! I'd probably be miserable and that would be bad for everyone!

December 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Newbies
Thank you! That is perfect!
December 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I, too, have been back at work since July but I figured I'd answer your questions.

1.) Was the decision to return to work hard? If so, in what way? No, it wasn't. Not only do we need my income but I knew I'd want to come back to the "adult world". It's not exactly the same but when we first moved to Georgia, I was home with a new puppy for a few months before I found a job. And I was SO happy to get back into the working world after awhile. I knew that even if it was just part-time, I'd want to get back to work after a baby.

2.) Explain what was the easiest and hardest part of returning to work? The easiest has been getting time to do my own thing outside of being a mom. I feel re-energized when I go home at night. The hardest is leaving her in someone else's care, even though I'm grateful for the ladies at her daycare, when she's crying. She's going through this separation anxiety thing right now and it's very hard.

3.) What would be your ideal plan of work and motherhood? I'd love to be able to work part-time (like maybe 3 days per week) but that's just not in the cards for us.

4.) What concerns did you have about your child when you returned to work? Even though I'm happy overall with Leah's daycare, I do worry that because they have other infants to attend to, she might be crying for something for awhile until they can get to her. And while I know it's not the end of the world, that thought breaks my heart.

5.) Did you consider not going back to work? What would it mean if you had not gone back to work? We considered it for all of 30 seconds. In all seriousness, we just couldn't survive without two incomes. Well, we might be able to survive but it would be SO tight. And on top of that, I know that after 12 weeks of maternity leave I am not cut out to be a SAHM! It's the HARDEST job in the world and I respect those who can do it!

December 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Newbies
Thank you! That helps a lot!
December 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you looking specifically for mom's or infants that went to daycare? I was a nanny so H came with me(and worked at a pet store briefly). I also put her into daycare (while I worked at the center) when she turned a yr old, and pulled her out...and will be returning in January at 2.5.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search