So it's happening

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it's just a phase, but it's happening despite my best efforts to prevent it.

I WFH and have a nanny. All this is so that I can stay an active and engaged mom while I'm busy earning a paycheck and doing the work thing. I did it primarily because we can afford it for now, and because I didn't feel compelled to jump into a daycare situation. She's already social, and I was eager to have the opportunity to have all the benefits it provides. As a byproduct I also figured this would help to prevent that whole depending and seeking the caregiver more than the mommy when she needed something...but I was wrong...and I have to admit my feelings are a tad hurt.

I work in my office on the second floor, and the nanny generally keeps her downstairs except for changes and she wanders up to hang with me while the nanny is getting lunch together. But to say that I am hands off in any way would be a gross misstatement. I'm hands on as much as I possibly can be. I find lately though that any time she hears me moving and she can't see me, her first words are "Daddy?" When the nanny arrived this morning, she heard her come in the door and said "Mama?" I was right behind her, and she thought the nanny was me. I know she's in the middle of a verbal sponge exercise (she's parroting every single word we say the last couple of weeks). But is it possible she's just getting her words mixed up?

Tell me please that other kids have done something similar and this isn't something I've created! I don't want to be in the background of her universe.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

November 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
It's just a generalization she is making right now. Kind of like all women are "Mama" and all men are "Dadda". She doesn't understand yet that those words are specific to her own mom and dad. Eventually she will relate it to people who only look similar to you and DH, then only to you and DH.

Both Austin and Aubrey went through a phase where they wouldn't call me Mom...they called me Jennifer, but they would still call DH Dad. They eventually outgrew it.

You might make up a nickname for your nanny that sounds completely different from Mama and start teaching your daughter to associate her with that word.

It's absolutely just a phase, and as her language and association skills develop overtime you will soon be her one and only "Mama".

Last edited by Jennhowru; November 4th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
November 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^Great advice, I had no advice, because I don't remember Caden doing it. It did break my heart a little to think Maggie was calling the nanny momma......ok
November 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, thanks for that. I was telling myself over and over again not to let it get to me, but had to admit it stung a little. OK a lot. I knew it wasn't intentional of course but you know...I started wondering if the whole strategy of working from home and bringing the nanny in had caused too much confusion for her.

The nanny's name is Elyse. I keep using it to try and get her to make the connections, but the vowels are too close in sound and too close together for her to say it yet.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

November 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The kids at the my kids daycare call the provider "sweet honey" LMAO!! Im not sure why, but that's what she wanted to be called. Her real name is Kameelah. Maybe Elyse can think of a name that Maggie can call her since she has problems pronouncing Elyse! What about E! E!...LMAO girl Im joking with that one....
November 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
When my kids were in daycare they had calloed me their teachers name a few times, I know it was just out of habit for them tho. They caught it right away and then called me mommy.

November 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was some great advice.

Xander would constantly call me Dadda even though he knew I was his momma.

It just shows that she likes her Nanny and thinks of her as a mom. I am sure she knows you are her mom.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search