working with/for your DH/SO/BF

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
have any of you ever worked for/under your DH/SO/BF, etc?
if so, how did it impact your relationship?

if not, would you ever?

there is a small chance (dont wanna get my hopes up), that i can finally leave hairdressing and join the company DH works for. but he will in theory be my boss, eeeek.

what are your thoughts on ths?
and again, i am not getting my hopes up till it is actually happening.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting. I think ground rules is the key to success with this.

What I know about DH and myself is that we have a different approach to work and job responsibilities. DH is all about doing things efficiently but with minimal effort and maximizing his "free time". He is also not proactive nor does he find work to fill in free space. If he has free space in his day, he uses it to play video games or chat or web surf. I can't work in the same space with him because my approach to work is completely different. I'm the "boss lady", and so even though we don't work for the same company, on those days when we are both working from home, when I see him playing video games and stalking his email rather than discovering new tasks he can do, I get immensely frustrated. I pop on JM frequently too - but it's always a lower priority, and my job is currently more demanding in terms of scheduled meetings and daily deliverable. So even though I'm dialed in all day long to JM, my actual time spent is negligible.

So, I don't think I could ever work with him in a setting where we weren't partners in a business and he was equally impacted by it's success or failure and therefore equally committed time wise. We'd need ultra clear job descriptions and accountability, and we'd have to manage our work militantly. AND, I know we'd need clear boundaries for our home life. I also wonder if it would get boring for us. We talk all day long, but we have our own stuff to talk about. If we were working so closely together, I think the stories would get old really quickly, and we'd see a bigger need for alone time and independent hobbies.

It does sound like an awesome opportunity though for the right two people! Best of Luck!!! Sounds super exciting!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

November 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats a good point. i think DH and i would also have to adopt a new kind of relationship, a working one. and thank goodness he and i love being together.
luckily he is not in the office all the time which would help. but he came up with the suggestion based on my skills, my methodical, perfectionist nature.

it would be so great if it does happen. it would mean i get weekends off, so i could take my daughter to parties instead of DH taking her.
and i really wanna challenge myself and my mind.

just not gonna get my hopes up .

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

November 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
blueyedbabii's Avatar Blueyedbabii<3
Send a message via Yahoo to blueyedbabii
Kerian my bf and i own a business together. I'm technically the boss but it was his baby lol. We love it. To us it's just another thing we have in common.

November 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Kristin32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like this might be a really great opportunity for you! I've never done it but depending on the circumstances, I think it could work.

November 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also agree sounds like a great opportunity for you! I am excited for you!!!

I have never had to do it married.

But Dh and I worked when we were dating together that is how we meet. But it wasn't for long.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

November 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I never worked under a SO, I was a manager to my ex tho, it really ruined things I will never work with family or SO again, too stressful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search