Staying Home or Traveling?

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Mommy of Four!
Are you staying home for Christmas or are you traveling?

How do you feel about that?

I am staying home. When I was married, I spent every single holiday with my (ex husband's) family. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial Day ext... and it slowly but surely became a nightmare for me. I could never enjoy my holiday especialy Christmas. We would wake up and have to quickly open our gifts, then before the kids could even enjoy them we would have to start getting dressed in our holiday clothes and then pack the kids up to head to the in-laws. Then the kids would be miserable because they couldn't "be kids" meaning they couldn't run, couldn't touch anything, couldn't get dirty ext...then they would miss naps and be crying and fussy. By the time we would get home I would be in such an awful mood and absolutly hate my Christmas. Now that me and my ex are divorced, I refuse to travel on ANY HOLIDAY! My dad and his family are mad at me for not driving 45 min to their house on Christmas day, but I will not do it and I am just fine with my decision. My family tends not to understand, even though I have tried explaining it to them....but it falls upon deaf ears!

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
December 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
we drive about 30-45 min to my inlaws house (i think its my sil this year) on xmas eve. then sometimes we drive 2-3 hours to my parents house and sometimes we stay home. im actually hoping my mom wont have it this year and we get to stay home. not to be mean or anything, but i just want to relax and have fun with the twins.
i get what you mean though, id rather have people at my house and just let the kids be themselves and be COMFORTABLE at HOME.

hope you have a great Holiday.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

December 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're staying home! I'm really excited because we haven't been home for Christmas for years!

December 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Typically on holidays we go see my inlaws (about 35 mins from us), then go see my family. If we're celebrating at my aunt's house, it's only 10-15 mins from the inlaws. If my mom is hosting it's about an hour from my inlaws and those days got long, plus it's hard to fit nap time in.

This year, we convinced my inlaws to come to us for xmas eve dinner. They aren't thrilled about it, but they're doing it. My MIL keeps talking about how when her kids were young they'd spend all day driving hours to see all the family [so why can't we do it too? is implied]. Well guess what, DH doesn't have fond memories of those times growing up and he doesn't want to do that to Juliet or us. So the inlaws are coming to us xmas eve and we're doing their xmas eve tradition of homemade pizzas. Then xmas morning we'll have a relaxed morning at home and Juliet can take her usual nap. For xmas dinner we'll go to my mom's and see that family. The day after xmas my dad's family is doing stuff.

December 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
We're staying home with just the 4 of us. I have to work Christmas day so it's a good excuse not to have to travel. The IL's came up on Wednesday and the kids opened presents with them. My parents will be visiting on the 27th and we will have a late Christmas with them and my sisters family.
December 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Traveling. We're going to DH's mom's house in the Ukraine for a few days then coming back home.
December 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
staying home...we don't have any family that is very far away so we never have to travel.

December 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Christmas day itself, we are staying home. Its Susie's first christmas and we are excited. But we are driving 3 hours early the next morning to see my nephews, sister, and brother and then driving home that night.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

December 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's at our house this year. We were going to go to the in laws on boxing day, but they called to cancel that yesterday. Yay!

I agree. Growing up, my mom refused to leave the house on Christmas day so that we could enjoy our own gifts from Santa...everyone grimaced about it early on, but they eventually gave in - my uncle's family did all the running around to see everyone instead.

Now my mom is the one wincing. I'm actually surprised she released her grip on Christmas dinner this year.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 19th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Staying home but going to DH's parents xmas dinner though

31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
December 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are staying home. That's they way we like, because I want the kids to enjoy playing with all thier things and just relaxing.

December 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Mommy of Four!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
My MIL keeps talking about how when her kids were young they'd spend all day driving hours to see all the family [so why can't we do it too? is implied].
My step mom told my sister, "When I was a kid, the grandchildren went to the grandparents, not the other way around". I told my sister I don't care what they used to do. I'm not spending my Christmas traveling. I won't do it.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
December 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
weare travelling!!! we driving 5 1/2 hours to my parents and spending a week or so there with them...i cannot wait, its just 25 mins drive to the beach from there house.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

December 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we are traveling but all locally just over an hour road trip.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search