Anyone working in healthcare that will let me pick their brain?

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
Regular
Hi, this is my first time ever being pregnant, have yet to see my OBGYN to get Everything confirmed but as I have still yet to start my period and had 2 positive tests at home I figure I might as well play it safe.
I'm wondering if their are any moms or pregnant moms out there that either worked or still work in a healthcare setting specifically a hospital setting. I'm a nurse, have worked in an ICU for over 2 years and am frequently around patients with nasty bugs and patients needing go for imaging tests, or administering very toxic/ potent medications.
As I've yet to tell any coworkers of my condition I don't know anybody whom I can ask what patients and what procedures I should attempt to avoid? Obviously I can't avoid sick patients but I do know certain patients such as r/o TB due to the MED regimen for exposures, and shingles because of the possible impact on the embryo/ fetus in womb are major no-nos. I just don't know if their are any other diseases/ mess/ procedures I HAVE to stay clear of?
Thanks, i would greatly appreciate any info or advice on the matter.
January 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure. You might want to contact your OBGYN.

Welcome and congrats

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't work in that area either, but I do think i'd be making an urgent appt with the obgyn to get things confirmed and find out for sure. I'm sure there are regulations in hospitals that mandate this kind of thing no? Regardless I think I'd be very wary about anyone coming through and making sure that they knew early on and could put me on rotations where there'd be far less chance of anything being transmitted.

But I'm kinda retentive that way.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

January 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Regular
Thanks for the advice. I have yet to see my OBGYN and it's someone I've never meet before so I've been a little hesitant to just call and ask, although it's probably silly bc I'm sure they get all sorts of questions and worries from people who have never stepped foot in an OBGYNs office! I suppose I can always call the nurse advice line on it too. Too scared to let anyone at work know about it yet though!
January 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
H1C2's Avatar Life of Love
go talk to your EAP person @ work. they are incredibly helpful! i dont work in ICU, but i do work in the hospital as an RN also. check your policies and speak with your manager or whatever the supervisor is called for you.

also, if i were you, i would print out those policies and keep them where you can get to them if someone argues! I nnever had an issue, great co workers, but i know another girl did and actually pulled out those policies to prove to stubborn uncooperative co-workers/peers.

GL! and CONGRATS
January 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Regular
Thanks for the info and advice! I found out my official due date yesterday so im going to be letting my manager know i'm pregnant when i go back to work next week. I'm hopeful i won't have any coworkers that insist i take care of patients with shingles etc., but you never know!
January 28th, 2012, 05:52 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
I'm betting your coworkers will be good about it. I'm an RN and I did work ICU during my first pregnancy. I was never around anyone with TB or shingles, but I did go into isolation rooms. I figured as long as I used what I was supposed to use anyway to protect myself from infections, then I would be fine. And I never had a problem. My coworkers were actually better about making sure I was away from stuff like that...I was assigned to a patient with c.diff and they reassigned me once they realized it. Good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search