Imagining life as a SAHM

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Veteran
On days when I'm really unhappy at work, I fantasize about life without having to get up and go to the office, not taking the subway, not dealing with annoying work issues or people, and certainly spending more time with DS. But when things are going well at work, I'm so glad for the balance and socialization and ability to control my time better and income etc.

Does anyone picture life as a SAHM as better? If you had no money needs, would you choose that as a career?

Thank you Tasha Mae for my fantastic siggy!

We're due Jan 31st!!
January 10th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Mommy of Four!
I was a SAHM for two years, and I loved parts of it, and then there were parts I didn't like. It's the same being a Working Mom. But, the one thing I miss the most is being with my children. I don't spend alot of time with them because I work alot, and that's difficult. Being a SAHM I was the center of their day to day life and I liked that.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
January 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm lucky that I get to work from home, and have a nanny which makes sure I get the best of both worlds.

I can tell you that I would give almost anything to be a sahm, BUT, I wouldn't really want to give up that much of our lifestyle. I also know that even in this situation, I get really, really, really tired of being on 24/7. So, I find myself sometimes wishing I could be out of the house for work just once every couple of weeks for a few hours even. If I was a sahm, I would treasure every bit of it, but I'd also be batty a whole lot quicker, and more demanding of some "me" time.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

January 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I would be a SAHM in a second if I could.

January 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really don't think I could handle it. As tough as work can be, I realize it's "me" time. I couldn't imagine spending most of 24 hours a day caring for my kids. And I've finally come to realize that does not make me a bad mom!
January 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to be a SAHM or just work part time when they are in school. But financially that isn't going to happen

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 10th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I'm lucky that I get to work from home, and have a nanny which makes sure I get the best of both worlds.
Ditto. I think this is the best situation for me. If I were independently wealthy I would still choose to work, but perhaps part-time. I really don't have to work now because my DH could support us, but I like our lifestyle and I like having a break from non-stop childcare, a mental challenge, and talking to adults.

If I had to work outside of the home it would be a different story. I hate getting up early and commuting, and I'd hate being away from my DD all day.

January 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With the way work has been this week - I'm really imagining life as a sahm!!! LOL

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

January 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ ..I'm sorry, well I struggle with this all the time. Ideally I would LOVE to work from home with a nanny of some sort. I hate having to commute and drop kids of at DC. I don't think I could be a SAHM though...

January 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband is in the corporate world, where a good many of his male colleagues have both wives that stay at home and nannies for the kids. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. But as it applies to us:
1) That sometimes makes DH look bad because he actually has to take my work schedule into account . If I for some reason can't take care of our son after traditional work hours, or stay home when he is sick, he looks bad because he has to cover it.
2) Even if we could afford that, I wouldn't want to SAH. Maybe, just maybe, I would work part-time, if the position I wanted allowed for that.

I am so grateful that my husband is proud of my successes in my career and fully supports me working full time.
January 15th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I always wanted to be a SAHM and took off the previous 6 months.
While there were perks I am happy to be back at work. Staying home was BORING. All I did was clean, shop, tend to baby, join a few mommy groups...my brain turned to mush.
I'm glad I had the time to spend with my son, and will do it again with the next child. But I'm also very happy to have a job where I can get adult interaction where conversations run deeper than what type of dish soap gets rid of spots.
January 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I'm cut out to be a SAHM. I've been on maternity leave and I'm getting kind of bored with being home. I like having my job as something to add some structure to my life and give me a routine. I feel like the past few weeks I have been sitting around accomplishing nothing. I like having a career and something that is mine. However, I would love to be able to just work part time, but we need my full-time income.

January 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I qould quit my job without a second thought to be a SAHM if we could afford it! I wouldnt look back or think twice! (And would stay one till they were in school and then I would work part time)

but we cant afford that given where we live

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

January 18th, 2012, 12:31 PM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
TBH When I was out on Maternity leave with DD I loved being home with her. But then when I got back to work I liked it because it's like my alone time away from her, specially when she was fussy. IDK if I could be a full time SAHM my dream would be just to drop part time and have that equal balance of both worlds.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search