Maternity leave woes

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
#2 is due at the end of March. Going over my maternity leave options, it seems that not only will I not get a paycheck, I will lose money because I'll have to pay the entire premium on my health insurance--$800/pay period.

I'm figuring out how to get as much paid as I can. I'm in a unique situation. I have done this job for almost 5 years. But last September my small non-profit (3 employees) merged with a large University (a billion employees lol) But that means very good benefits! I found out my category of position gets 6 weeks paid maternity leave. Last child, I got none paid, although I had about 4 weeks vacation stocked up so I did get some money.

We switched to my insurance from my husband's because it's less than half the cost. Baaaad idea!!!

Apparently pregnancy is a pre-existing condition to be eligible for maternity leave!!!!!

I didn't read the fine print. You have to have been employed for 9 months to be eligible. (I feel sorry for mommies who do get pregnant *after* starting here but have their baby early.) That is total BS. For my unique situation, I wish I could plead for that to be waived. Yes, I started only about 7 months before I'm due. But it wasn't my choice. I was forced into either switching employers or quitting altogether.

We're searching for alternate options. I may be able to enroll in short-term disability, so that means a partial paycheck. I am eligible for 6 weeks academic medical leave. But I don't know if that is paid or unpaid.

So I am partially at fault. If I had read all the info before benefits (November 30) I could have avoided this--kept DH's insurance, and known I wasn't eligible for any paid leave so I would have enrolled in short-term disability. I had NO idea that included pregnancy. If they already have two categories that cover family leave, why would that too? In their list of types of leave, they include:
Parental Leave
Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
Medical Leave

I didn't even look under Medical Leave, which is what includes short-term disability.

Even if I am at fault for not picking up short-term, I can also point the finger at my supervisor and director of my department. I told them I was pregnant before enrollment ended, so it was their responsibility to go over all of this. I would have enrolled in short-term and kept DH's insurance. They even admitted this, so they are petitioning for me to enroll in short-term. But they have no idea if that will happen. A business with thousands of employees doesn't care about one pregnant lady.

Now, I know most people around the country do not even get any paid leave. But in my case, I am going to lose money. I won't get any paychecks, and I'll have to *pay* more than the equivalent of one paycheck per month.

When I became employed here, I took a significant paycut. I thought the benefits would make up for that--having a lower premium and getting 6 weeks paid ML. Not gonna happen.

Hopefully all my complaining is for nothing. Best case is short-term, which gives me about 2/3 paycheck, and would pay my insurance (not sure if that is true.) Worst case is I get six weeks academic medical leave unpaid, take however much longer I choose unpaid leave, and have to pay insurance the whole time.

In this country, women get punished for having babies.
January 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks. I am sorry you are going thru this.

I personally believe that maternity leave should not be considered pre existing.

I hope you can figure something out.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel awful for you too. It really just isn't right how the US treats new families. Not right in any sense of the word.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

January 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG!!! horrible to say the least..just sad... I'm so sorry you have to go through such BS!!!

January 17th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
that totally sucks!

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

January 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to PiXeYstyx
I had kind of a situation like you when I had DD. When I was pregnant with DD I had just came back from having a back injury at work. Fast forward to 5 months into my pregnancy, I lost my Father. I was pretty much all he had so when he passed I had to take time off from work. I thought I was going to get bereavement pay which would have covered the 4 days I needed to take off to get things sorted out. Well when I got my paycheck I noticed it wasn't in there and I asked why. The managers couldn't give me an answer bc the manager who did payroll put the code in for it. He called HR for me and we found out because my average hours fell below 30hrs in a 12 week period. You want to know how much they fell below 30? my Average hours were 29.30 so it was only 30 minutes. I was fuming because not only was that just stupid when I was with the company for 3 almost 4 years at that point, because of the time I took off for my fathers death caused my hours to fall even more below 30 causing a snow ball effect which caused me to lose my health insurance and caused me to lose my paid maternity leave. I was very upset by all this but there was nothing I could do. But it's sad that when your with a company for so long and you get screwed out of stuff like that just because of your current average hours.

This pregnancy was very well planned out. I have 6 vacation days, 3 personal and 15 vacation days. This will help me take off a little extra time after the baby comes but the 6 weeks they will pay you for when on maternity leave.

I agree I hate how our country treats "WORKING" women when it comes to having kids as oppose to other countries. It's sad when you think about it. The U.S really need to get their act together. Starting by a president or who ever that can do something about it, that actually want's to address issues like these.

January 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mommy of Four!
When I had my third child, I was given 6wks maternity leave, but didn't get paid for one day of it. That seems to be the norm for most of my friends who have had children to. It's very disapointing honestly.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search