Job Switch?

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Mommy of Four!
As most of you know, I work two jobs. Mon through Fri I am the Director of Administration at a child development center and every other weekend I am a Newborn Hearing Screener at a local hospital. I just started the DA position in November.

On Friday of last week, my supervisor at the hospital called me and told me that she accepted a position working with the state of Georgia; she wants to recommend me for her position which is Head of the Hearing Screening Dept at the hospital. She knows that I just started a new job, but really feels that I am the best person to move into her position.

I was completly dumbfounded, but at the same time thrilled. I have worked very hard at the hospital; my surveys are excellent (her words not mine), my screening times are low, my refers are low, and she has always said I would make a great coordinator....I just didn't think it would acutally happen. So now I am in a bit of a pickle..... here is why:

At the school, I am paid salary of $31,000.00. Now, with taxes being taken out and tuition for one child, I really make around $400.00 a wk. I work Monday-Friday and my hours are either 630-330 or 930-630 (usually the latter of the two though). This makes it very hard to spend time with my children; my mom sees them more than I do honestly because after I drop them off at school, I don't see them until 7pm. They go to bed at 9pm so, on average I get 3 hrs a day with them. I don't cook anymore because anything I put into the crock pot at 730 (when I leave to drop them off at school) is burnt by the time we get home at 730pm and my house is a disastor because I'm gone alot. However, the pay all but makes up for everything else...financially I'm doing great. Come February I will get insurance on myself as well; the children are covered by their father's insurance. Deep down however, I do not like this job. I can do it and do it well, but it's not what I love. But with four children, I don't get the option of loving my job if you know what I mean.

At the hospital I will be paid hourly. My supervisor said the avg pay is only $15.00 an hr, but she said that I am more likely to get higher pay through negotiation because she is leaving by March 1st and they have to have somebody trained and in her position by that date. I am also already screening so only have to be trained on the "office" side of the position. All my statistics are great, and the company already knows this. The position is Monday-Friday but the hours are only 30hrs a week. Because the hospital is one of the smaller ones in the area, they don't need a 40 hr a week coordinator. The plus side of this is that I will work about 6 hrs a day (on average) which will give me much more time with my children, as well as more time for home mang, the down side is that I will not be making $31,000.00 (which I make as a DA at the school) and will also not get benefits. If I request at the lowest, $17.00 hourly, I will probably be okay financially; but I want to request $20.00 and see if they will negotiate. There is NO WAY they will pay me $20.00 an hour, but I need at least $17.00. My gas cost will drop tremendously because I live 15 min away from the hosptial, and I will not be eating out as much because I will have more free time to cook. I will also not have to purchase "office" clothes because I would wear scrubs at the hospital. I love what I do at the hospital...no doubt about it and this position would make me very happy.

If I wasnt' supporting children on my own, I would, without a doubt, take the position at the hospital...but because I have babies to care for, on my own, I am unsure what route to go. I am sure you all can see the pros and cons and will help me figure out the question I am lingering on.....

What should I do?

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!

Last edited by Kody; January 24th, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
January 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ouch. that's tough. I think I would personally stick with what I dislike for the money and the benefits. If you start where you're starting at the centre, you are going to get ahead faster. It sounds like a situation of short term pain for longer term gain.

What a crappy decision to have to make. Good luck.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

January 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that is a tough decision.

If you take the hospital job will you have to pay the tuition or is that for your older kid? Also is there things that you can cut out that you really don't need to take a smaller pay? you will be surprised on how much you can save by eating in.

Would you have health insurance with the new job?

I wish you luck in your decision and let us know what you decide.

Spending time with your kids is also key while they are young if you can manage.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 25th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Kristin32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tough decision! I don't think it would hurt to see what they're able/willing to offer to pay you. Once you find out what they'll pay, you can crunch the numbers and see if you can make it work. I'm curious if you'd be getting health insurance too because that's a big expense. You also have to keep in mind that even though you'd love the job, it might not be worth it if it causes a lot of stress financially because then you'd just be switching from one type of stress (not enough time with your kids) to another one (financial).

January 26th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Mommy of Four!
The hospital job does not offer insurance because it's only 30 hrs a week. I currently don't have insurance on myself, and haven't since my last child was born. Getting insurance isn't a priority for me and even though I qualify for insurance at the center in February, I don't know if I will enroll because of the cost.
My son is the only one of my four who attend the school with me. That's because he was struggeling at his old school and I felt that he would get a better education and be ready for Kind. if he came to this school. I get a 75% employee discount and with that I pay a little over $300.00 a month for him. My oldest two girls are in public school and my mom watches my 22mo old and the girls when they get out of school.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
January 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh that is still a tough decision.

I hope you come up with a solution that will work for you

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search