Pre-school and childcare

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious to know what other working moms do when it's time for their LOs to attend preschool. Do most just go to a daycare that includes preschool activities? We have a nanny now and I love this arrangement. Most preschools are part-day, only a few days per week. One that we are looking at is 8:30-11:20 and we can choose 2, 3, or 5 days per week. I work until 3:30 so I guess I would need to find a nanny to work 4 hours/day. I'm not sure if our current nanny would want to work just 4 hours per day. I suppose there might be nannies looking for part-time work but we really love the one we have now. Also, the school is closed all summer, Spring Break, 2 weeks for Christmas, etc. I guess we could fly my mom out for the summer and then take vacation for the other holidays. What a PITA!

This problem isn't confined to preschool. I know public elementary school finishes around 2:30 and most work days go until 5ish. What do working moms usually do when you need childcare for just a couple of hours per day? After school programs?

March 1st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
My kids only need after-school care 2 days a week. Thankfully we found a daycare that charges hourly, as opposed to you pay $X amount for part time and $X amount for full time care. They pick them up from school in a van and drive them to the daycare.

I worked a different job when Austin was starting school, so I never worked days. He went to a preschool 5 days a week from 8-11. Aubrey went to the daycare they go to now for 2 days a week, and took part in their preschool program.

Summertime does kind of suck for childcare. I opt to work more weekends so they only have to go 1 to 2 full days a week. Plus it costs more money to send them full days as opposed to just after school. Mine and DH's parents also volunteer to take them for a week each during the summer.

You may inquire with your nanny if she is willing to work part time during school, and resume full time again during the summer. Best of luck to you, and everything WILL work out
March 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe our new daycare has a preschool option. Once kindergarten begins though, they have a before and after school program. This was key for me because of my work day. The before and after school program runs buses back and forth to the school like Jen explained, and the cost is significantly lower than the full and part time rates. To give you an idea of the differentials it goes from $750/month to $187/month.

Once she's in school full time though summers are going to be a challenge. Most kids get enrolled in day camps. You have to register like ridiculously early to be sure you have a spot in the camps you want, but basically, it gives them weekly programs they can do. So if your kid likes gymnastics or basketball or crafting or whatever, you sign them up for week or two week long day camps that focus on these types of activities.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

March 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daycare currently just picks Caden up at Noon and keeps him until 5 everyday. We still have to pay a full time rate, because he is not techinically considered school age.

When he starts Kindergarten in the fall he may be attending an after-school program at the school. It is call latch-key. I do know with latch-key they are open during intercessions.

Another option I have is that the daycare (where they attend now) can just pick him up from school and I will just pay a school time rate, which doesn't change in the summer.

We will pick whatever is more cost effective.

March 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm sure it's going to be a huge PITA between sick days and days the preschool is closed. It's just so easy having a nanny and I'm afraid to give that up. It's also expensive, though.

On a related topic, I'm actually considering private kindergarten because the kindergarten here is from 8:20-10:45 am. Not even 2.5 hours!! I can't believe they spend the gas $ for the buses to bring them in for that. I'd rather they did 3 days per week for full days.

March 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We both work 8 to 5 or longer so we pay through the nose to have 1 (soon two ) go to a daycare open 6:30 to 6.

That will be until kindergarten, and then I assume their school will have before and after care .
March 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post
I'm sure it's going to be a huge PITA between sick days and days the preschool is closed. It's just so easy having a nanny and I'm afraid to give that up. It's also expensive, though.

On a related topic, I'm actually considering private kindergarten because the kindergarten here is from 8:20-10:45 am. Not even 2.5 hours!! I can't believe they spend the gas $ for the buses to bring them in for that. I'd rather they did 3 days per week for full days.
Omg! That seems like a waste... I would also look into private kindergarten if it was me. Thankfully kindergarten here are full days.

March 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are currently going to be doing the same thing as pumpkinpie24. I work 7-4, df works second shift. We found a daycare that runs on the govt schedule. Kids attend from 3 months until they start kindergarden. So as long as we stay in the area, that will be our pre-school.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

March 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our kindergarten is moving to full days too - slowly but surely.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

March 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
I did full day kindergarten and I was shocked to find out how short it is here. I hope we change but I doubt we'll have the budget to go to full days any time soon.

March 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breana goes to at home sitter and goes to Preschool W, T, and F mornings from 9-11:30 and the sitter takes her and brings her back.

I am thinking the same thing will happen when she starts school but I am not sure. Will have to talk about that.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Juliet goes to a home daycare right now, and I know she does some numbers/letters type school stuff, but it's not like preschool. If I'm still working when she is 3, I will probably move her to a preschool with a full day daycare-type option. I would like a Montessori school, but we'll see where we live and what's going on when the time comes. When kindergarden time comes, I'll look into an after school program or home daycare that takes school kids after school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search