Working from home

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you had the opportunity to work from home would you do it?

If not why?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing so right now. I am on my last month of maternity leave (out of 3) and I have to work at least 50% time to keep my health insurance. I was fortunate enough to have 8 weeks paid, between sick leave and vacation leave. I wanted to delay the start of day care to 3 months, so I have to work this last month or else pay about $1500 for health insurance, on top of *not* getting a paycheck.

Anyway, I have to average 3-4 hours per day. It's tough to squeeze it in with a newborn. I don't know if it would get easier or harder as she gets older. But I am learning I would not want to do it long-term. It's like doing two full time jobs at once--taking care of baby plus work responsibilities. I respect any mom who could do that on an ongoing basis.
May 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
oh YES. My job used to let me telework 2x a week (and go in 3 days), but when I came back from maternity leave they had just discontinued it. I got to do my old schedule the first 2 months I went back, and it was tough with a little baby to look after, but luckily she napped pretty well. Now, there is a chance of us moving out of state and I'm hoping my work will hire me as a full time teleworker. Since I'd still have to keep a regular schedule, I plan to put Juliet in daycare at least half the day. But, not spending 2.5 hours a day in the car is automatically way more time with her than I get now!

May 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I wish I could. If it ever came up I would hop right on it.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 4th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
I work from home now. Those opportunities do not come by very often. I work 8hrs a day but I get to flex my time when needed which is great! I do scheduling/recruitment so I need to be able to be on the phone often which sometimes can be a challenge when I keep DS home from daycare.
June 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Kristin32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I would like it. I enjoy getting out of the house and interacting with coworkers and patients.

June 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I work from home - I love it. Saving that commute time, not havign to get dressed up every day, love it! I can't do it and keep Maggie home all day though. When she was itty bitty it was so much easier to work from home with her there...once she got mobile, those days were over. So we take her to daycare every day just as we would if I were going to an office, only I come home to my office.

I still can't imagine how women do this with a commute on their hands. I'm frazzled by the end of the day, and I get that extra time with her, am able to get dinner on the table most nights and cleaned up by 6:30. I don't think I could take a job ever again that meant I had to be away from the house and her 10 or 12 hours a day.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work from home-I mom by day and I teach and do my master's all evening and night-I'm tired! But its great while my kids are so little

Lucky mother to five!

July 8th, 2012, 03:01 AM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work from home 3 days a week and go into the office 2 days a week right now. I negotiated this when I was pregnant, first 6 months I stayed at home (maternity leave + vacation time + working from home full time), then switched to 2 days a week. This year I switched to 3 days a week a couple months ago. Hopefully this will be able to continue for a while, I don't see how I'd be able to afford daycare on a full time schedule! I really love having the extra time with my son (I had always hoped to be a stay-at-home-mom without another job on top of it! But it wasn't to be), but it is definitely a balancing act getting things done and getting any rest ever!

July 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I work at home right now and am also a student. I won't work from home always, but for now I love it.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
July 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I'm new to this forum~ however I saw your post about working from home. I absolutely LOVE what I do and I couldn't imagine not being able to spend quality time with my 6 year old and 5 year old twins everyday! Just 4.5 years ago I searched for what seemed like forever to find the perfect business I could work around my family. At the time, we were small ice cream business owners, but things slowed down with a struggling economy. I feel blessed to have found an opportunity that has kept me home with my kids and at the same time we are earning a reliable income month after month! I would say the one thing you have to make sure you have is discipline. Set strong business hours for yourself and make sure you are passionate about what you do and you will go far. The other tip I would suggest, is finding a business with no large investment, hyped up "product", and one where you don't have stock, ship or deliver products. If you would like to learn about the business I was introduced to 4.5 years ago, you can message me.

Looking forward to sharing it with you~

Amberly Mauszycki
July 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwithfamily View Post
I'm new to this forum~ however I saw your post about working from home. I absolutely LOVE what I do and I couldn't imagine not being able to spend quality time with my 6 year old and 5 year old twins everyday! Just 4.5 years ago I searched for what seemed like forever to find the perfect business I could work around my family. At the time, we were small ice cream business owners, but things slowed down with a struggling economy. I feel blessed to have found an opportunity that has kept me home with my kids and at the same time we are earning a reliable income month after month! I would say the one thing you have to make sure you have is discipline. Set strong business hours for yourself and make sure you are passionate about what you do and you will go far. The other tip I would suggest, is finding a business with no large investment, hyped up "product", and one where you don't have stock, ship or deliver products. If you would like to learn about the business I was introduced to 4.5 years ago, you can message me.

Looking forward to sharing it with you~

Amberly Mauszycki

Welcome to the board.

What do you do for a living at home if you don't mind me asking?

July 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious as well.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search