Advancement

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have room for advancement in your place of work?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not really. It's all considered advancement in place. So a whole bunch of work harder to level up paygrades, but not real vertical mobility or even lateral mobility in terms of job change.

Makes for a long and tediously dull existence when you thrive on learning new things.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
There are 4 "levels" for my position), I'm currently at the third one, so just one higher to go. Not a whole lot of extra incentive to try for it though.

June 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I was just promoted. So yes there is room for advancement. And there are opportunities to move around and do different tasking. I like what I do though and am needed as not many people care for the task that I do and I am very appreciated for what I do. We advance a "step" every year until we max out or get promoted to the new "GS". So I am at the bottom of my new GS, so I have many years to "Step". So it's all good, each step is a pay increase. People retire or move on, so there is room to move around. But I like the task that I am doing now.
June 27th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of One View Post
I was just promoted. So yes there is room for advancement. And there are opportunities to move around and do different tasking. I like what I do though and am needed as not many people care for the task that I do and I am very appreciated for what I do. We advance a "step" every year until we max out or get promoted to the new "GS". So I am at the bottom of my new GS, so I have many years to "Step". So it's all good, each step is a pay increase. People retire or move on, so there is room to move around. But I like the task that I am doing now.
I think it's awesome you like what you're doing. What do you do exactly?

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Very limited. I work for a museum. The only way I could move "up" is if my department expanded and I had more staff to supervise. I am starting a program to get a master's degree, and apparently once completed it would lead to a change in job title. (My museum is in a University, and the degree program is through that University, so they have a precedent.) That's an automatic promotion and raise, even if it's the same job. But that is at least a couple years away. The expansion in my department could take place before that. Or not at all.
June 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I think it's awesome you like what you're doing. What do you do exactly?

Well I work for the Navy doing configuration Management. Which means I make sure that I manage the database that is responsible for the configuration of everything on board every Navy ship. I specifically handle the Weapon systems. So anytime a system is added, removed or upgraded I make sure that is reflected in the database. All parts are contained in that database and the sailors can order parts as needed from their end aboard ship. Most weapon systems are all run by computers, then electronic systems, so it's always being improved. I handle the destroyers and cruisers. It's a lot of work but a natural path as my father was in the Navy for 22 years and then worked civil service (like I am now) for another 20. So it's just been our way of life. It's just what I know. It's what I'm good at and I love supporting the fleet and they are all very appreciative of what I do. It all comes down to readiness. The sailors need to keep the systems working and I have to be able to keep the database configured correctly so they can get their hands on the right parts as needed.
July 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Kristin32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Not really. It's all considered advancement in place. So a whole bunch of work harder to level up paygrades, but not real vertical mobility or even lateral mobility in terms of job change.

Makes for a long and tediously dull existence when you thrive on learning new things.
I work for the government and I'm in the exact same situation! I really wish there were more opportunities for me to move up or around. If I want to stay at this location, I pretty much have to stay in my curent position.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search