New to this board

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone!

I'm not new to working, but just had my baby girl October 19th and will be heading back to work soon... I am so sad about it, but have no other option. To make it worse, I don't have family that is willing or close enough to stay with her so I have to put her in daycare with someone I don't know- the topper on that is that some people make stupid comments about how they can't believe I would leave my baby with a stranger it really isn't what I want to do, but I don't have the luxury of staying home...

Anyway, I'm Tanya, 35 years old & mom to a 17yo, 14yo & a 6 week old. I'm single (again) and am scheduled to start back in January.

I have several interviews with home daycare providers this week... I know what I'd like to ask, but am wondering if you have any thoughts - I might have missed something important on my list! Thanks in advance for letting me join in & for any suggested questions

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

December 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

That's so unfair of people to say - There are so many people out there who don't have the luxury of family close by. What a terrible thing to say. You certainly don't need that piling on to what is already a huge thing to deal with. Very sorry to hear you've got that going on too.

My first go round with a daycare provider was to have an in home nanny. That process was challenging, but I really watched her interaction with my daughter, and made a gut decision based on how they got along, as well as what I learned from her resume and her references.

Our change to the preschool, I very much trusted my instinct again. I asked about curriculum, how many kids would be in her group, how much she'd be interacting with the older kids. I asked about meals, outdoor play, structured/unstructured play, and I asked about potty training. I wanted to know that they'd take my guidance and work with me on that when it came time. I honestly had the luxury of not having to do a public daycare situation til she was almost two though. With an itty bitty newborn, I'd probably be looking closely at child to supervisor ratios, and focusing on what kind of interaction and exposure they will have to other kiddos.

And then there were the basics - I always find remembering the basics are hardest when you're in this kind of situation. I asked about hours for drop off and pick up, and late pick up fees. Also asked about holiday charges...that kind of thing.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 3rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the advice Becky!

I am looking for a home center - by law here they can only have 2 children under two & three older ones! I couldn't afford a center (what you normally think of) or an in home provider - those run about $300-500 a week :jawdrop; The home daycares average about $100-200.

I'm thinking of bringing my son (the 17 year old) with me when i go to check them out because he is by nature cautious about people so he might have a better radar than me.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

December 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome!!!

i am sorry that people have been so callous. over here it is the norm for babies to go to daycare as most moms work.

i would check out:
how many babies they have to the amount of care providers.
and i would also try pop by without making a set time. that way they cant prepare themselves and you get a better idea of how things are done.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

December 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerian View Post
hi and welcome!!!

i am sorry that people have been so callous. over here it is the norm for babies to go to daycare as most moms work.

i would check out:
how many babies they have to the amount of care providers.
and i would also try pop by without making a set time. that way they cant prepare themselves and you get a better idea of how things are done.

good luck and let us know how it goes.
That's a great point. They should have an open door policy so that you can show up unnanounced whenever to pick your child up or check in on things. I can understand them preferring you not stop by during nap time, however, the door should always always always be open.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome to the board...

I am sorry that people are saying hurtful things....

I am out of work right now got laid off but I am trying to get another job but it is hard...

I LOVE taking my daughter to the bus stop and getting her off the bus but in reality I cannot afford to do it much longer

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search