How much did your IUI cost????

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
just curious, my dh and i were talking about it yesterday. I know its cheaper than IVF but how much cheaper?

Thanks

May 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Angela P.'s Avatar Veteran
It really depends on the dr's office. Mine costed 300 and the sperm wash was 200. Good luck!
May 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Quote:
just curious, my dh and i were talking about it yesterday. I know its cheaper than IVF but how much cheaper?

Thanks[/b]
I just did IUI on 4/15, but I haven't received my bill yet. I'm fortunate to have infertitily coverage that pays 90%. I believe this cost is around $700 - $2000, not including medication. I will let you know when I get my EOB from insurance.

It is must less evasive than IVF.

May 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
My doc has quoted me $200 for the actual IUI procedure but my insurance is *supposed* to help with the rest: the drugs, tests, SA, etc. We're hoping to start next cyle (later this month). I'll let you know more as soon as I can!!

Good Luck, hon!!

May 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Regular
I am on my second cycle of IUI and I think it is EXTREMELY cheap...

I don't pay for any doctors visits unless they are consultations... (in that case its $35.00 per visit) so all bloodwork and monitoring is free. My meds for one month cost me $130, thats for injectibles and the progesterone. So far I have not paid anything else! My insurance covers all the sperm wash and everything! I have Aetna.

I am a huge fan of IUI so far... let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps a bit!

</div>
May 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Quote:
I am on my second cycle of IUI and I think it is EXTREMELY cheap...

I don't pay for any doctors visits unless they are consultations... (in that case its $35.00 per visit) so all bloodwork and monitoring is free. My meds for one month cost me $130, thats for injectibles and the progesterone. So far I have not paid anything else! My insurance covers all the sperm wash and everything! I have Aetna.

I am a huge fan of IUI so far... let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps a bit![/b]

WOW i have aetna too and they dont cover crap for me!!! I wonder why....

they dont cover ANYTHING! it totally sucks! All my blood work to have it done in the docs office isnt covered i have to go out to a lab and THEN they cover it, all my u/s are not covered in house either i gotta go out and do it, but it is stupid cuz the doc needs the results right away, he cant wait 2 days for results!

that is soo frustrating how do they cover for you and not me :sad:

May 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I paid 200 dollars for mine. that included the sperm wash.

May 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Super Mommy
I did injectables and that cost $1500 which I only had to pay $70 for and the IUI was $326 including the sprem wash. My insurance covers nost of the meds and all of the u/s's but NOTHING related to infertility procedures. Hope that helps.

May 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks ladies, Im totally scared I have a feeling that my insurance wont cover meds or anything...If i have to spend $1500 just for meds, i rather wait and save that for IVF, uhh how frustrating NO ONE seems to be able to help me!

I called my HR dept and nothing they have no idea waht my benefits are, then i called Aetna and they told me unless i am enrolled in the program already they can not see my benefits and I called my actual docs office and the lady told me she didnt know either that all they do is ask for a #and if they give me that # it is covered if it is not covered they dont give the # but even with that, I dont know WTH they cover until the day of! ughhhh im soo annoyed right now!

May 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
I went through this same exhausting cycle when I was trying to get an exact quote of coverages by my insurance company (Piedmont Community Health Plan). My company's HR dept knew nothing; the billing dept of my doctor's office blew me off and I went around and around on the phone FOR-EH-VER with my insurance company itself.

They told me I had to register so I registered.

They told me they would have to get back to me so I gave them my email address but I asked for the agent's email, too, and I emailed her (repeatedly) when she didn't email me within a week.

A week later she finally emailed that she was looking into it and I replied to THAT email in less than ninety seconds.

It was hard, hon, but it was worth it in the end. Also, even though this may not be helpful to you at all, you can try IUI without meds, which should only cost between $200 to $300. Good Luck!! I'll be cheering for you!!

May 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Her Aetna insurance covers it because her employer set it up that way..yours doesnt because YOUR employer set it up that way.. which is the REALLY sucky part! Ins companies offer all kinds of plans and benefits to your employer and then the employer picks what to cover and how to cover it.

My IUI's are $250 a piece and that includes the sperm washing. Ultrasounds and all that are extra..

May 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Quote:
Thanks ladies, Im totally scared I have a feeling that my insurance wont cover meds or anything...If i have to spend $1500 just for meds, i rather wait and save that for IVF, uhh how frustrating NO ONE seems to be able to help me!

I called my HR dept and nothing they have no idea waht my benefits are, then i called Aetna and they told me unless i am enrolled in the program already they can not see my benefits and I called my actual docs office and the lady told me she didnt know either that all they do is ask for a #and if they give me that # it is covered if it is not covered they dont give the # but even with that, I dont know WTH they cover until the day of! ughhhh im soo annoyed right now![/b]
It is definitely frustrating and the worst is that stress doesn't help infertility. Especially it you work and don't have an understanding boss that can't understand why you have to keep going to the doctor.

Yes, it all depends on how your employer sets up your benefits. DH's company is under BCBS of MN and infertility is covered at 90% and has a lifetime maximum benefit of $20k. Meds are covered at 50%. I had to have 11 days of 450 iu's of Repronex and Gonal-F combined. I just saw the charges on my CC and it came to $2300. I feel for those who have to pay 100%.

Hang in there.

May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks ladies for your help and input, the problem is my employer who is my uncle (i work with family) has our payroll and stuff thru a leasing company, so that leasing company is the one who actually chooses the benefits.

Well after calling a ton of people i *think* i know what is going on! While i was on the phone with the Aetna infertility line, i mentioned to them that im so confused! I dont understand how they dont cover anything etc. and then she goes well you only have the basic coverage. which only covers the diagnostics, and then she goes if you had Comprehensive, or even Advanced infertility coverage, then you would be covered for IUI and even IVF.....so then im like WAIT a minute.....the plan i chose shows that part of the plan features shows Comprehensive Infertility Rider, and shes like it does im like ya I have the Aetna Traditional Plus HMO, and thats what it shows and shes like well in our records it shows that you have the Flex Medical Plan, Im like *** is that!!!! and shes like maybe thats why you have no coverage so im like sooooo ive been paying over 400$ a month for the wrong plan!?!?!?!

And shes like i think you need to call your HR dept again and let them know. So then I called again and this stupid guy answered and im like Hi i need to find out what my benefits are that are covered under the infertility rider. and hes like I dont know thats your boss that chooses that not us, im like *** are you talking about (yes i cursed at him he was a #####) you guys send me a list of plans each yr and tell me to chose a plan so HOW THE HELL IS MY BOSS THE ONE THAT CHOOSES IT! then he stayed quite, im like look i just got off the phone with Aetna and they told me they dont show me under the Traditional Plus HMO which your company has been deducting my payroll for EACH WEEK they show me under another plan so I want to know what plan you show and what is going to be done!

Then he got all cocky and was like no your under the Trad. HMO plan and im like well NO im not according to Aetna so somebody better find out cuz i have spent ALOT of money out of pocket for expenses that should have been covered! then hes like o well im going tolog on to the aetna site and then he started (with like a veryy smart attitude) is your name Jessica Perez and i m like ya and then hes like is your address blab lab la and im like ya and then hes like out of the blue well i gotta check into this and its 4:45pm so i wont be able to get you an answer til monday.....im like ok no prob. ill wait for your call on monday.....

Sooooo all of a sudden he changed his tune! I think he saw that i was under a wrong plan! Ladies i was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed yesterday i was screaming having a total fit! and to top it all off they had me as a freaking MAN! maybe thats why i cant get pregnant!!!! im a man and didnt know it!!!

So im hoping to get some answers soon and praying to god that it is all a good sign! Also my uncle told me that they should have to reimburse me all the expenses i had out of pocket since they had me wiht the wrong plan....is that true?

Well ladies love you all

sorry i had to vent
xxoxoxoxoox

May 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes they should reprocess your claims and anything you paid out that should of been covered SHOULD be reimbursed back to you!!
I would be pissed off too...thats crazy they had your plan THAT screwed up!!!

May 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well...I am glad taht things are being sorted out so that you can start you treatment. I pay about 600 for my IUI. Its about 150 for each ultrasound and I usually get two a month and 200 for the IUI proc. and then about 50 for the meds. Then my doc usually orders a progesterone test to see if I ovulated and that is about 20 dollars. Hopefully that helps some. I know that if I am not preggers this month(which I am pretty sure that I am not) I will be starting what is called the Clomid combo therapy. I am not exactly sure what that intells but I do know that it will raise teh success rate.

Thank you Mod-trishosaurus for my beautiful siggy!
May 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Well...I am glad taht things are being sorted out so that you can start you treatment. I pay about 600 for my IUI. Its about 150 for each ultrasound and I usually get two a month and 200 for the IUI proc. and then about 50 for the meds. Then my doc usually orders a progesterone test to see if I ovulated and that is about 20 dollars. Hopefully that helps some. I know that if I am not preggers this month(which I am pretty sure that I am not) I will be starting what is called the Clomid combo therapy. I am not exactly sure what that intells but I do know that it will raise teh success rate.[/b]

hmm combo therapy never heard of it, i wish you tons of luck and i hope it works!

May 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow hun, is that frustrating! I'm glad you are in the process of getting it all straightened out.

May 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
jandswood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jandswood
I too have AETNA and they don't cover CRAP for me either I should see if I can change my plan. Good luck with the insurance people!

May 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy crap Jess! that's just insane and I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I've spend hours forever on phones trying to get people to do their jobs instead of giving me the run around. It's so frustrating!

We haven't done IUI yet but my doctor's office told us it was $124 for the IUI procedure & $150 for the Sperm Washing so all in all it's $274. My insurance (Tricare Prime) covers the meds I'm on to get my body to ovulate. Our insurance doesn't cover IUI or IVF.

I believe a combination (combo) cycle is the meds, usually either Clomid or Femara with 2 days of injectables, usually either Follistim or Gonal-F.

I hope they get it all figured out for you and that you get reimbursed for the money you guys have spent so far. Keep us posted!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

May 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
hoping4littleone's Avatar Super Mommy
My insurance covered the office visits and I just paid the co-pay of $30 each, but when it came to the actual IUI it was $660 out of pocket. OH - and I had to pay for the Clomid, my insurance did not cover fertility meds but that was only $23.00.

I hope they get your benefits all straightened and quick!! That would be so awesome if infertility is covered for you!!! It would take a huge weight off your shoulders, I'm sure. I remember being so frustrated when I learned our insurance did not cover anything!!

</div>
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">

Born May 5, 2008

Shelby Suzanne: 7lbs,8 oz 17 3/4 inches 9:16 p.m.
Morgan Julianne: 5 lbs,8 oz 19 inches 9:17 p.m.
</div></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search